Why become a member? ×

Ampeg help

tomhunt87

Hay all

I'm looking into upgrading to an Ampeg rig soon. Iv got my eye on either an SVT 3 Pro or the SVT 4 Pro amp.
It will be for home use and the odd gig here & there for now, but when my bands bin started, I should be gigging most weekends.

Now I was looking at Ampeg cabs to go with these amps but wasnt sure what to go for.

At first I though this set up

SVT 4 Pro
SVT 4x10HE
SVT 1x15E (or another 4x10)

Then I thought

SVT 3 Pro
SVT 4x10HE

But now Iv seen the 6x10 cabs Ampeg do, so I'm now unsure as I no what its like to carry an 8x10 cab around, so would prefer to have the smaller cabs
Could some one advise what would be the best set up with the above equipment please??
I'll be playing mainly rock music if that helps.

All the best

Tom

The SVT3 Pro is a great sounding amp, although (IMO) isn't particularly loud for its rating.
To get the best out of it, best to pair it with a 4 ohm load - the Ampeg 610 is fine for this.

Using just one 410HE would not release the full output of the amp as they are an 8 ohm cab. You could always
pair it with a 410 HLF though, which are rated at 4 ohms, or use the 410HE along with another cab as you mention in your post.
That way you'll get the full whack from the amp.

Cheers.

[quote name='casapete' post='692410' date='Dec 23 2009, 03:51 PM']The SVT3 Pro is a great sounding amp, although (IMO) isn't particularly loud for its rating.
To get the best out of it, best to pair it with a 4 ohm load - the Ampeg 610 is fine for this.

Using just one 410HE would not release the full output of the amp as they are an 8 ohm cab. You could always
pair it with a 410 HLF though, which are rated at 4 ohms, or use the 410HE along with another cab as you mention in your post.
That way you'll get the full whack from the amp.

Cheers.[/quote]

Thanks for that info Casapete, I forgot to mention the 410HLf. Goona think this through real hard, I'm real tempted by both the 410HLF and the 610. Hmmm.... I hate having to make my mind up haha. I'm more for the 610 at the min though, found them for £799 brand new which I though was deal.

Thanks again

Tom

Hello Tom

I would echo previous comment. The SVT3 is excellent although if up against loud band members then it can struggle. However there is extra gain on the EQ, without having to use it. 4ohm Cab is a must.!!!!! the SVT HLF 410 is excellent SPL is 126db, which is amazing. Have you considered other cab brands? The more cabs the better.

[quote name='KingPrawn' post='692429' date='Dec 23 2009, 04:33 PM']Hello Tom

I would echo previous comment. The SVT3 is excellent although if up against loud band members then it can struggle. However there is extra gain on the EQ, without having to use it. 4ohm Cab is a must.!!!!! the SVT HLF 410 is excellent SPL is 126db, which is amazing. Have you considered other cab brands? The more cabs the better.[/quote]

Iv not considered any other cabs really, I'm one of those that thinks like, if I have an ampeg amp then Iv got to have an Ampeg cab, stupid I know haha. I'm useing Ashdown at the min but not really my cup of tea, Iv of been put off them as I carnt find a tone I like.

What cabs would you say are worth a look? I'm willing to check some new ones out. Iv got a budget of around £1100 but thats including the amp which I can get for £699 which leaves me with £401, but Id stick an extra £100 or so down if I need to. Was thinking of buying second hand for the cab though...

Thanks

Tom

loved my 3pro, however does not compare to my v4!

With the money you have available, I would be tempted to shop about making a valve amp priority. My 220w v4 is far, far louder than my ex 3pro and louder than most other amps!

If its ampeg your determined to own then might I suggest checking out an SVT Classic.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='692613' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:42 PM']loved my 3pro, however does not compare to my v4!

With the money you have available, I would be tempted to shop about making a valve amp priority. My 220w v4 is far, far louder than my ex 3pro and louder than most other amps!

If its ampeg your determined to own then might I suggest checking out an SVT Classic.

andy[/quote]

i was wondering how long before andy jumped at this post hahahaha. hope all is well matey.

I can promote the 4x10hlf as an amazing cab dude, plenty of bottom end and top too.

However if a 6x10 is an option then i would suggest this as the best option as it will give you the sound you want plus not too difficult to shift about.

the SVT610HLF is the best cab ive ever - EVER - owned. Awesomely phat sound, it has wheels and skid rails and a bar on the top so its relatively easy to move around. I think they can chuck out 1200w peak if you really need it! You wont be disappointed with one of those bad boys.

Thanks for all the info guys! :)

I'm off out in amin to get the svt 3pro for now. Gonna look into buying a svt classic further down the line. Was talking to a guy last night about it and he said the best amp he's had is the svt classic and he's got about 20 amps sat at home, he's got much money if you ask me! haha

Thanks again

Tom

Hmmm....lots of choice with that cash!

I found the SVT Pro 3 to be great when I borrowed one on tour....but it sometimes...sometimes lacks power.

If you are buying new, personally I would avoid Ampeg. But thats me. I was set on Ampeg until I tested the new versions CL and VR, and they just didnt do it for me. The 810E at lower volumes was just dull.

But, Ampeg do make, well did make, some great bass gear.

Thats just me though. Personally, I lost a bit of money thinking Ampeg was king (luckily not much) then as soon as I switched I found something that was more 'me'.

If you are set on Ampeg, get the SVT Pro 3, then a different brand of cabinet. I suggest Aguilar if you don't mind normal weight cabinets.

I know Im probably out on a limb, and when you see it you wont believe me, but the TC Elec RH450 amp is about £742 at the moment, and thats much louder that the SVT Pro 3, much smaller, can do an Ampeg tone if you want it to, and plenty of other tones. They apparently aimed that amp at the micro amp market for rock bands...whereas MB and Genz, etc, are aimed at other styles, (although they can all be used for whatever you want!).

An RH450 with its RS cabinets, (RS210 + RS212) is VERY good...I dont own the cabinets...so Im not just saying my own gear is good. But I would like them. This smaller stack is incredibly loud..and wont cost you that much more.

I didnt believe the reviews myself until I tested them. Very impressed...go and test :)

Good luck!

Have to say that I have used many Ampeg units but they were hired in so may have had a few miles on them. I think the Amps are better but the cabs I'd give a miss. If people say the newer models are better then ok, their info might be more upto date, but traditionally you needed 2 cabs or a 8x10 as the power was very poor pre speaker...300watts for an 8x10 is not good by any stretch, so a modern 4x10 should be delivering 600watts RMS easily with decent chassis' today, by my thinking.

If you want a decent cab.. and some might say the BEST 4x10 around, then the above poster has a BERG 4 x10 which might be worth a think about.

Just my 2p...

[quote name='JTUK' post='692958' date='Dec 24 2009, 02:06 PM']Have to say that I have used many Ampeg units but they were hired in so may have had a few miles on them. I think the Amps are better but the cabs I'd give a miss. If people say the newer models are better then ok, their info might be more upto date, but traditionally you needed 2 cabs or a 8x10 as the power was very poor pre speaker...300watts for an 8x10 is not good by any stretch, so a modern 4x10 should be delivering 600watts RMS easily with decent chassis' today, by my thinking.

If you want a decent cab.. and some might say the BEST 4x10 around, then the above poster has a BERG 4 x10 which might be worth a think about.

Just my 2p...[/quote]

Cheers JTUK.....I didnt think about that!

[quote name='tomhunt87' post='692398' date='Dec 23 2009, 03:29 PM']....Could some one advise what would be the best set up with the above equipment please??....[/quote]
I have heard some say that the SVT3PRO is underpowered but I always found that mine was easily loud enough to keep up with some very noisy guitarists and drummers! I used mine with Mesa Boogie and Epifani, which are pretty sensitive cabs, so that would have helped. When I used it with my Ampeg cabs (210, 410, 115) I found that the "muddy" and indistinct tone wasn't for me. But maybe that's what you want for rock!

What ever you choose I wouldn't buy new. There is a lot of good used gear in the BC For Sale section.

i can't say anything bout the svt pro 3, but the 610 i have is a awesome cab!

but what i will say is that the cabs do give an ampeg sound, at one of gigs a dude played his genz 1200 thru it and it still sounded a bit ampeg.

you can dial out the muddy sound, i had a few problems dialling in a sound at first but got there in the end and its wicked! really loud!

as i believe as been said above, im inclined to believe ampeg lie a bit about there ratings! my pro 6 is meant to be 1100w at 4 ohms but but i have plugged in the trace v4 we have at are practice space and that seems much louder, same sort of thing with my lm2, it doesn't seem that far behind and its only rated at 500w at 4 ohms.

andy

[quote name='JTUK' post='692958' date='Dec 24 2009, 02:06 PM']Have to say that I have used many Ampeg units but they were hired in so may have had a few miles on them. I think the Amps are better but the cabs I'd give a miss. If people say the newer models are better then ok, their info might be more upto date, but traditionally you needed 2 cabs or a 8x10 as the power was very poor pre speaker...300watts for an 8x10 is not good by any stretch, so a modern 4x10 should be delivering 600watts RMS easily with decent chassis' today, by my thinking.

Just my 2p...[/quote]

The ampeg 8x10 has a power handling of 800 watts rms.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='andy67' post='693131' date='Dec 24 2009, 06:54 PM']It strikes me as odd that people call it the 'ampeg sound' considering their cabs are fitted with eminence speakers?? I love eminence speakers and have no muddy experiences with my 810e!

odd, very odd indeed??

andy[/quote]

its only a slight hint that i find it puts on the sound, my markbass sounds different on the same setting going my ampeg 610 2 a markbass 410, i know dif cabs but there is a dif, probs a bit more of a smoother sound?

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='693131' date='Dec 24 2009, 06:54 PM']....It strikes me as odd that people call it the 'ampeg sound' considering their cabs are fitted with eminence speakers??....[/quote]
Every company aims to have a "house" sound. That's what they hope will set them apart from the others and gives them their selling edge. The size of the cab, its manufacture, the components and the porting (or lack of) will completely change the sound of the same speaker. Also if you order enough units, Eminence will customise speakers to your requirements.