Why become a member? ×

Does anyone prefer Squiers over Fenders?

Alfie

I bought my wife a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster for Christmas and I am in love with it, so much so that I want to get a bass to compliment it. I have very strong GAS for a Fender 51 Reissue, but the only stumbling point is that it is says Fender on the headstock and I wish it said Squier. This is the first time I have experienced this emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the look of the Fender 51 to the Squier 50s P, but I prefer the Squier brand. Is this weird or has does anyone else feel like this?

[quote name='Alfie' post='692171' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:48 AM']I bought my wife a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster for Christmas and I am in love with it, so much so that I want to get a bass to compliment it. I have very strong GAS for a Fender 51 Reissue, but the only stumbling point is that it is says Fender on the headstock and I wish it said Squier. This is the first time I have experienced this emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the look of the Fender 51 to the Squier 50s P, but I prefer the Squier brand. Is this weird or has does anyone else feel like this?[/quote]No there is nothing weird with that...Squire owners can hold there heads high, they are great basses...ive played a MEX, MIJ, USA jazzez and there isnt that much difference in tone to the Squire....Not sure what pups are in Squires but they do a good job...Put some Lindy Fralins in one an your in business..

i do think the name has a little way to go mind...what is really cool (i think) is a great player funking on a Squire..really cool

Edited by bubinga5

Pound for pound, Squiers are perfect and the new ones they are bringing out are simply unbelievable in terms of build and sound quality. I think people are finally realising not to turn their nose up at them.

On a similar note, I own two $1000+ basses and you'll be suprised how often I choose to pick up my old affinity P-bass.

hmmmm i cant say i've played a Fender, then picked up a Squier and noticed anything better or worse but i love my Squier VM fretless ('jaco sig') and found it alot better sound wise than the MIM standard fretless though i do prefer a natural wood fretboard than a long lump of cruddy plastic -_-

*as compared to a Fender MIM Pbass to an average Squier Pbass though I'm sure the higher range Fender models will have some bonus feat's.. even if its just thinner paint/finish for better resonance like the new american standards.
i still think the precision is the best type of bass you can get :)

[quote name='silddx' post='692286' date='Dec 23 2009, 01:01 PM']I love MIJ Squiers. MIJ Silver series are really nice too.[/quote]
Plus teh one - I've had 2 MIJ Squier Ps (an SQ & an A, both 80s) and they were both superb. I've never owned - or had any wish to own - a Fender-badged bass, & if I did it would almost certainly be MIJ.

The current VM & CV Squiers seem to be a return to the build standard, quality & value of the MIJs, and I have nagging GAS for a VM fretless.

Jon.

Depends on the Squier and the Fender!

I've got a classic vibe Jazz which is much nicer than the Mexican Jazz I used to own, and not far behind my MIA Jazz.

On the other hand, I used to own a Mexican Precision, which had one of the nicest Fender necks I've come across.

The current crop of Squiers are certainly consistantly good, and the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified stuff will give most Fenders a run for their money IMO.

I think the MIJ and MIJ Silver series along with the current crop are really good. There was a quality dip for a while but they are certainly back on form. I own a 51 P-bass and the quality is superb - I don't think there are many Squiers that would match mine but I guess it all comes down to taste. Personally I don't care what is on the headstock, be it Fender or Squier or something else. What matters is how an instrument feels when you play it.

[quote name='simon1964' post='692343' date='Dec 23 2009, 02:14 PM']Depends on the Squier and the Fender![/quote]

+1

Well, at least, in my limited experience of them. With no preconceptions I tried everything on the wall in a large local branch of PMT when deciding what to spend my dosh on when upgrading from my 'starter' bass. I was secretly hoping for a Squier of some sort but every single one (I tried about 6 of various sorts) fell short of the mark compared to a USA jazz or, what I ended up with, my MIJ Jaguar.

Since then I have acquired a Squier VMJ fretless and it is really good... but still not as good as the Jag. But then it is a lot cheaper.

[quote name='Paul S' post='692374' date='Dec 23 2009, 03:02 PM']I was secretly hoping for a Squier of some sort but every single one (I tried about 6 of various sorts) fell short of the mark compared to a USA jazz or, what I ended up with, my MIJ Jaguar.

Since then I have acquired a Squier VMJ fretless and it is really good... but still not as good as the Jag. But then it is a lot cheaper.[/quote]

I'm not really getting the Squier CV love - they look pretty cool, but the two I've tried in shops have been badly set up and sounded rubbish acoustically compared to a US or the Mex Classic 70s jazz. I know that's not the whole story but I do think when looking for a classic jazz bass sound the wood is an important contributor, and basswood or agathis don't really do it. I think these are alright basses but no better than budget offerings from Yamaha, Ibanez etc.

The VM 70s, though, sounded much more like it. Tone plugged in was nice and growly but rather restricted in bandwidth, so my conclusion was that with a pickup upgrade it could be a very good sounding bass. However, again I tried two and both suffered nasty fret buzz and had poor finishing on the necks, though the bookmatching on the body was lovely. If you can live with the weight (heavy) and find one with a decent neck, then these are the most 'jazzy' sounding budget basses I've heard - and therefore IMO the best! *But not as good as a US.

Edited by LawrenceH

For the cash, the squires are decent basses.
But I still wouldn't be seen with Squier on the headstock at a decent gig!

Fender all the way for me!
-The build quality, even on the MEX fenders is still lacking somewhat IMHO.

I have a MEX P, that Ive spent quite a lot of cash fitting with Bartolini PUPS, a Badass bridge, tusq nut -and it still sounds pap in compasasin to the US versions.

.... You get what you pay for really!

I wouldn't be bothered at all about being 'seen' with a squier, if the player and tone is great, then no-one will notice or care whats on the headstock.
I've got a Squier CV Jazz, and while it's not quite on par sound wise with my MIA Jazz (not much is in my opinion), the build quality is probably just as good. obviously the body wood is basswood as opposed to alder, but who can hear that lol. Whack some good pickups in the CV, and a great bass for not much money it would no doubt be!!

I also have an A series Jap Squier Precision (ex-Bassassins), and although I haven't gotten round to making it gig-fit, I think it's gonna be ace. Also have a Squier Deluxe 5 string Jazz that definitly does the job, although I may sell it to fund a fretless jazz or a MIA standard 5er :)

Si

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='692917' date='Dec 24 2009, 01:01 PM']I'm not really getting the Squier CV love - they look pretty cool, but the two I've tried in shops have been badly set up and sounded rubbish acoustically compared to a US or the Mex Classic 70s jazz. I know that's not the whole story but I do think when looking for a classic jazz bass sound the wood is an important contributor, and basswood or agathis don't really do it. I think these are alright basses but no better than budget offerings from Yamaha, Ibanez etc.

The VM 70s, though, sounded much more like it. Tone plugged in was nice and growly but rather restricted in bandwidth, so my conclusion was that with a pickup upgrade it could be a very good sounding bass. However, again I tried two and both suffered nasty fret buzz and had poor finishing on the necks, though the bookmatching on the body was lovely. If you can live with the weight (heavy) and find one with a decent neck, then these are the most 'jazzy' sounding budget basses I've heard - and therefore IMO the best! *But not as good as a US.[/quote]

I've got to admit I was a bit disappointed with the CV Jazz I played last month when looking for a bass for a friend's son. Although it felt like a nice bit of kit in my hands the action was quite poor really. Admittedly it hadn't been set up (which the shop said they'd do if I wanted it), but the Dean I walked out with actually played much better and cost a third less

[quote name='Alfie' post='692171' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:48 AM']I bought my wife a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster for Christmas and I am in love with it, so much so that I want to get a bass to compliment it. I have very strong GAS for a Fender 51 Reissue, but the only stumbling point is that it is says Fender on the headstock and I wish it said Squier. This is the first time I have experienced this emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the look of the Fender 51 to the Squier 50s P, but I prefer the Squier brand. Is this weird or has does anyone else feel like this?[/quote]

I've got myself this one and I love it

Edited by bass5

The only experience of playing Squiers I've had is a friends MIJ Squire Jazz from 92/93 which sounds, looks and feels great and the Classic Vibe Jazz which could give my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass a run for it's money. I don't know much about the bog standard Squiers.
The old Silver series MIJ jazzes go for approx £300 on ebay and I've seen Vintage Modified basses going for £150.

There's a 1982 Squier Jazz going for £850 on ebay which may be a bit ambitious? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120505420648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

And and early 90's one for Approx £300 [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140363278891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MEWAX:VRI[/url]

If I remember rightly the 92 Silver series bass my friend has, has the string retainer going right through to the other side of the headstock ,vintage style (which this one doesn't have for some reason?).

Well I've just bought a mint s/h classic vibe 60s bass. It's absolutely brilliant, easily the same build quality of my mexican Jazz. Infact, it seems like Squier the neck has gone through an extra quality check if anything.

As for the headstock, I'll be leaving mine exactly as it is. The only mod I've made is taking off the the silly finger/thumb? rest thing. I quite like the inverted snobbery value of playing well with my band with lots of intricate parts on a squier!

Personally I'd advise bass players who into fender basses should snap up a vintage modern or classic vibe sharpish. I can't remember squiers being as good as they currently are since they were first introduced and it doesn't take a genius to work out that they are now matching the Mexican's in terms of quality despite being miles cheaper.

In the past, that has normally meant Fender discontinue the cheaper model or do something to re allign the balance. I don't think the ClassicVibes willbe around for too much longer, people are simply getting too much for their money.

[quote name='gjones' post='693571' date='Dec 26 2009, 02:46 AM']The only experience of playing Squiers I've had is a friends MIJ Squire Jazz from 92/93 which sounds, looks and feels great and the Classic Vibe Jazz which could give my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass a run for it's money. I don't know much about the bog standard Squiers.
The old Silver series MIJ jazzes go for approx £300 on ebay and I've seen Vintage Modified basses going for £150.
[b]
There's a 1982 Squier Jazz going for £850 on ebay which may be a bit ambitious? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120505420648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]
[/b]
And and early 90's one for Approx £300 [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140363278891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MEWAX:VRI[/url]

If I remember rightly the 92 Silver series bass my friend has, has the string retainer going right through to the other side of the headstock ,vintage style (which this one doesn't have for some reason?).[/quote]

If it's an original JV series, those are now collectors items and thus do go for well over the £500 mark. Absolutely awesome basses. £850 is a bit pricey mind!

[quote name='maxrossell' post='693698' date='Dec 26 2009, 01:18 PM']I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about Squier vs. Fender guitars.

Of late people have been raving about the quality of Squier basses, but I can't see guitarists being so easily convinced.[/quote]

That may have been correct in the past but I'm not so sure now. 2 years ago I went into my local guitar shop looking for a cheapish squier strat for doing home demos with. I picked up a VM strat which felt lightweight, sounded tinny and wouldn't play in tune. The sales guy then recommended I try the new MIM classic 60's player stratocaster which was designed by greg fessler from fender's custom shop.......and what a difference. It felt heavier, had a real stratty tone, played in tune (which always comes in handy) and looked georgeous in sonic blue. Even though the MIM strat was £200 more expensive, guess which one I bought?

But......That was 2 years ago and things may have changed. The guitarist in my band, who up until recently had his own music shop, has as his 2nd guitar a VM squier tele custom, which he plays slide on. It sounds excellent and although his other guitar is a Gibson 355 by actually just listening to them both, you couldn't tell one cost £1.800 new and the other £250. I think things may be changing in squierland and as someone else said in another post on this subject fender will be getting worried as they won't be able to charge a premium for MIM guitars if the squiers are starting to get as good.....or better.