Why become a member? ×

My "Bass" has gone missing.....

flatwound

I don't really know how to word this correctly, nor am I convinced it is in the right,... spot, but, but c'mon lads, I need help.
I can talk to you on, valve timing, piston ring end gaps, and a whole heap of other subjects....but electronics leave me cold,(and I bet I'm not the only one)
My drama:
a while back (last week) I plugged my(this) bass into the amp, and, after making a few adjustments, I noticed that there was a crackling noise, when adjusting Bass/Treble control, which is a stacked unit (it is a 2 band EQ if that helps)
The BASS (tone)has gone missing
I plugged in again today and it sounds as if someone is trying to kill a cat, (excellent idea) I stopped immediately as I didn't know whether damage to amp might just be around the corner.
All other basses are fine, so not amp.
My basic question to you is this:
Are the pots (potentiometers) (controls) dependent on $ value and could this be the case, or is it something more sinister.
I have read in other posts where people say they are swapping out this for that (ie: pots that are 250k, replacing with 500k. (whatever that means)
Are these pots (potentiometers) a big deal, and do you think this is the drama, as I am reluctant to plug the bass in again, unless it does "kill cats"
Any info appreciated, and I hope I have made some sort of sense. ??
and.........have a good Christmas "one and all" :)

Oh hang on!!! don't use wd 40 as it eventually attracts dust and makes crackles worse!in the long run.. an alcohol based switch cleaner (which evaporates over time ) is your best option.(maplins stock one)
sorry to contradict you hillbilly, but that idea comes from bitter experience!!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='flatwound' post='693022' date='Dec 24 2009, 03:29 PM']166 views to date, and one helpful reply....thanks "Hillbilly"

is it the "Aussie" thing, or are you just a bunch of stiffs, that lick each others arses. ?
f*** ya's
Shove ya forum.!![/quote]
what the f*** is that all about???
No..... its not an Aussie thing its YOU thing
PS....
I Mean it!
Love/Peace
W

Edited by witterth

[quote name='flatwound' post='693022' date='Dec 24 2009, 03:29 PM']166 views to date, and one helpful reply....thanks "Hillbilly"

is it the "Aussie" thing, or are you just a bunch of stiffs, that lick each others arses. ?
f*** ya's

Wow, how uncalled for was that? :)

Have you thought that maybe 165 of the viewers didn't know the cure for your issue?

Could be a number of things. Dirty pots as already mentioned.

Pot could have actually died, rare but if it was a poorly manufactured one that could be it, more likey is that there's a dry/loose connection on your EQ board or that the EQ board has died. It could also be new battery time, some EQ's are quite particular for some reason.

As for "is it an Aussie thing", on a UK based forum where one of the owners is a Kiwi (now back in NZ as well), which is open to any nationality, and where a number of people including myself have family in Aus? No. You pillock.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='flatwound' post='692026' date='Dec 23 2009, 05:51 AM']I don't really know how to word this correctly, nor am I convinced it is in the right,... spot, but, but c'mon lads, I need help.
I can talk to you on, valve timing, piston ring end gaps, and a whole heap of other subjects....but electronics leave me cold,(and I bet I'm not the only one)
My drama:
a while back (last week) I plugged my(this) bass into the amp, and, after making a few adjustments, I noticed that there was a crackling noise, when adjusting Bass/Treble control, which is a stacked unit (it is a 2 band EQ if that helps)
The BASS (tone)has gone missing
I plugged in again today and it sounds as if someone is trying to kill a cat, (excellent idea) I stopped immediately as I didn't know whether damage to amp might just be around the corner.
All other basses are fine, so not amp.
My basic question to you is this:
Are the pots (potentiometers) (controls) dependent on $ value and could this be the case, or is it something more sinister.
I have read in other posts where people say they are swapping out this for that (ie: pots that are 250k, replacing with 500k. (whatever that means)
Are these pots (potentiometers) a big deal, and do you think this is the drama, as I am reluctant to plug the bass in again, unless it does "kill cats"
Any info appreciated, and I hope I have made some sort of sense. ??
and.........have a good Christmas "one and all" :)[/quote]
sounds like the battery has gone chap!

f*** ya's

its properly shoved now thanks

have a nice day and stick with us...we may need your help

[url="http://img197.imageshack.us/i/pc250033.jpg/"][/url] [url="http://g.imageshack.us/img197/pc250033.jpg/1/"][/url]