Why become a member? ×

Vocal recording...

3V17C

ok, so recently i've been writing lots of 'proper' songs (as opposed to bassy noodles!) and i'm looking to attempt adding some vocals to some of them. Now, i'm seriously not the best singer in the world but would like to give it a go rather than getting someone else in as the songs are quite personal... so...

i need recommendations for a good budget vocal mic and mic preamp (i'm currently just using an old 70's AKG mic direct into mixer > pc.

and also any tips on getting the best of my 'performance' recorded (i'm using Cubase SX3)

any thoughts, ideas etc gratefully recieved!

peace

c

Does your mixer have phantom power? If so, don't bother buying a decent pre-amp, spend the extra on a nice vocal condensor. I'm not sure what's the best, not sure on your budget? I have an SE2200 which I like on vocals, but it's a budget mic.

You need a pop shield, but you can make one from tights and a coathanger (I have two proper ones, but my coathange is easier to use).

sh*t loads of compression on the channel in SX, low pass at 50Hz or so (incase of rumbling), you might want to boost the presence around 2Khz, add distortion (I LOVE the quadrafuzz plugin you get with SX), reverb etc.

EDIT: But i'm not an expert, just trying to help :)

Edited by cheddatom

Recommend a Rode NT1A. £100 buys you a great condenser mic that seems to work really well with home recording. Really fresh, crisp warm sound.

People on here will know more about this that me, but a good pre-amp apparently can make a real difference to the overall sound.

Try setting the mic up inside a wardrobe full of clothes. Seems to be a good way to get a nice dead sound.

I Have a Behringer B-1 Which everyone seems pretty happy with when they use it (cheap too)
And a Rode NTA1 (due today)

If you are near Lincolnshire you are welcome to come try them out or do the recording in my little studio.. (Mates rates of free)

Edited by J3ster

[quote name='cheddatom' post='692228' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:56 AM']I have a NT1A and it's not as good as the SE2200 IMO, it lacks the "air" I get with that mic.[/quote]
A boost of about 3db at around 12kHz should add a bit of "air" to your sound...I'm not familiar with the mics you mention, but maybe SE2200 is a touch more prominent at this frequency.

[quote name='crez5150' post='692247' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:23 PM']Just out of curiosity which AKG is it?[/quote]

Its at this point we get "1970 414eb with brass capsual in pristine condition" or "the only marking it has is C12?"

:)

Nt1a and 2200 are both fine mics. At this level you wont get earth changing results and I would advise you match the mic to your vocal qualities rather than what anyone on a BASS GUITAR forum advise.

G

yeah i know its a bass guitar forum, but i'm guessing theres a few on here who know a thing or two about home recording etc... not really sure what you mean about matching the mic to my vocal qualities? - if thats the case i'd prob be best getting something for about a quid from tandy!! need all the help i can get to get a decent (ish) vocal recording hence the original post.

AKG mic is nothing special - a D190E (?) i believe... don't even know where i got it from tbh! also got a few JBL mics in the band box in my garage which may or may not be slightly better for recording... friend of mine also has a thomann condenser mic that i can borrow which i'm guessing could be ok. all irrelevent at the mo anyways as i've got an evil sore throat and can barely speak let alone 'sing'!!

peace

c

Matching a mic up to a voice is as simple as trying them both and going with whichever one you think suits your voice better. When you listen back do you like the sonic qualities of you voice through that particular mic?

To me the Nt1 is a little brittle and brings out sibilance in a bad way. However, I mixed an album recently where this mic was used for the Saxophone (lead instrument) and I thought that sounded phenominal.

The Se2200a I think make poor vocal mics in general however, I was recording a guy with quite a throaty sounding voice and the mic worked better than the Rode NTK, AKG Solidtube, Se5600, AKG c414 etc... I also had lurking about.

So, you never know whats going to work and by having a few to try out you can narrow it down to a select few.

Good luck, its not easy but rest assured that these days you wont go too far wrong with the usual brands and a little research.

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='693200' date='Dec 24 2009, 10:08 PM']Matching a mic up to a voice is as simple as trying them both and going with whichever one you think suits your voice better. When you listen back do you like the sonic qualities of you voice through that particular mic?

To me the Nt1 is a little brittle and brings out sibilance in a bad way. However, I mixed an album recently where this mic was used for the Saxophone (lead instrument) and I thought that sounded phenominal.

The Se2200a I think make poor vocal mics in general however, I was recording a guy with quite a throaty sounding voice and the mic worked better than the Rode NTK, AKG Solidtube, Se5600, AKG c414 etc... I also had lurking about.

So, you never know whats going to work and by having a few to try out you can narrow it down to a select few.

Good luck, its not easy but rest assured that these days you wont go too far wrong with the usual brands and a little research.

G[/quote]

+1

If your voice is a bit ready/thin already most of the modern budget condensers arent going to do you any favours as there characteristic tends to be on the bright side. The ADK A51 is a useable dark budget condenser. Otherwise, go with a trusty Shure SM58 and spend the extra on a reasonable preamp. The Rane MS1B is the best budget pre I've come across. The FiveFish audio pre is great if you can manage a bit of DIY.

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='693318' date='Dec 25 2009, 11:07 AM']+1

If your voice is a bit ready/thin already most of the modern budget condensers arent going to do you any favours as there characteristic tends to be on the bright side. The ADK A51 is a useable dark budget condenser. Otherwise, go with a trusty Shure SM58 and spend the extra on a reasonable preamp. The Rane MS1B is the best budget pre I've come across. The FiveFish audio pre is great if you can manage a bit of DIY.[/quote]

+ 1 on the FiveFish pre, apparently not too hard to build either:)

I'd advise against the preamp, for the basic reason that if you're not really experienced with home recording, you literally won't get any benefit from it.

If you can get a good signal into the DAW via the desk preamps, then you're good to go.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using a dynamic microphone. Don't feel like you have to have a sparkly studio condenser to produce good tracks. Your 70s AKG should do just fine.

What you really want to focus on is getting a good performance. You'll need to warm your voice up, have plenty of fluids nearby, don't smoke cigarettes right beforehand, make sure no-one's going to disturb you and that you have a good few hours to work on your stuff (no-one ever laid down a good vocal five minutes before they had to go to work). Get a mic stand, stand up straight, take your shoes off, make sure the room is comfortably warm, and think a little bit about what kind of vocal performance you want to give the track. If you want it to sound quite live and urgent, a good trick is to wear your bass or guitar while you sing (careful, not to move around too much though). If you want it to be more intimate, consider moving lightly closer to the mic (turn the input gain down a bit, and move back for louder passages).

Also don't go insane with the vocals processing. If it doesn't sound okay with a basic compressor and a touch of reverb, then you need to retake it. A good vocal should sound nice dry.

And basically don't forget that you're home-studioing it, so what's important is the song and how it's performed, the sound quality is all relative, and as long as it's audible and mixed evenly it'll stand up just fine.