Why become a member? ×

FECKER DUBCASTER BASS PROJECT

dubby

Hi Ho Folks

As a Reggae Bass player getting that deep throb wi nae treble has always been crucial to me. My aim was to achieve this as naturally as poss, without gobs of boosts / cuts on the EQ at the amp.

Understanding that the greater the distance from the bridge to the neck PU the deeper the tone. So taking the example of my '73 Telecaster Bass with its Big Humbucker right on the neck, (which can be too muddy) and Precision Bass PU position (too thin). Then the sweet spot has to be between the both. So I searched for a manufacturer and model that could deliver.
Took a while but discovered the Australian manufacturer "Ashton" had a Bass AB 900 that had the Sweet-spot on the neck PU. Then I started to "Bastardise" it...
Stripped it Bare / threw the neck in the bin / got a Jazz maple neck - carved the headstock into a Tele shape / Resprayed the body Metalic green - used local car body repairer (Important, as he knows about finish) / Coper-foiled cavities / Fitted Black hardware / Rotosound Tru Bass Black nylon Flatwounds
And here is the result : I named it - The Fecker Dubcaster Bass (see atachment)
Fits me like a glove.
For photos of build, go to
[url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=47473606"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...iendID=47473606[/url]

Interestingly when the bridge PU is blended in it gives a nice jazzy clarity to the the Bass tone.
For all the years I've been playing Bass (about 30) this is the best natural sounding Bass I have had.

And here is the best bit : The whole project cost me just under £300. (I got the origenal guitar brand new for £90 as B-stock, Coz had a ding in the paintwork)
Very satisfying and I learnt a lot about the craft of a Luthier, and a deeper understanding of my instrument.
It has given me the taste to do another one. I'd recommend every muso tries it.
One Love
Tom (Dubby) O'Malley

[quote name='redstriper' post='691785' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:16 PM']I use a fender jazz bass with just the neck pup and the tone rolled off for the best natural reggae tone I've ever found.
I'd like to compare it to the Ashton.[/quote]
Definatly worth it even as a No.2 Bass, as ye can pick up a new Ashton AB900 for a Bargin price of £150 (or cheaper if ye can find a B-stock, as I did)

[quote name='redstriper' post='691800' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:30 PM']Was the neck only fit for the bin, or did you just fancy changing it ?[/quote]
Yes, the neck was the sh*t bit o the original Bass. Measured 40mm nut width, and as I love the slim 38mm jazz neck, that was paramount in the project. If there is one thing I've learnt over the years, is the neck is integral to the feel of a Bass. Carving it to a Tele headstock made it pleasing to the eye. See the earlier comment from NancyJohnson.

I'm using a Custom 4 string Warwick vette with Active EMG's and EMG pre in mi reggae coverz band it sounds sooooo sweets, best reggae sound i've ever had with many very lots of tonal variations too-bass you can turn up and down-i like that, dub your level!!!. It also has a very thin neck being a pre 2000 Warwick so nice there too....it replaced my Jazz! Although i'm also rather very fond of my passive Lakland JO5 Jazz with Lindy Fralins as the low B sounds so balanced against the other 4 strings. But i think the amp makes all the difference for me too. I see a lots of player these days playing Spector 5's & Yam TRB5's...i think the Spector as EMG's???

Edited by Rasta