Why become a member? ×

Precision/Jazz Pick up combos

Dom in Dorset

In theory the P/J pick up combo sounds like a great idea.
I've tried two, a pretty limited sample and I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions.
Dean active - the weadiest output , I had to double check that it was active, checked the battery (new).
Stagg fusion bass- not great either, but then it's a £150 bass.
Niether seemed to have much oomph or useable range of tones.
Both were blown away by a second hand Encore P bass
My impression is that (to sort of quote the Mighty Boosh) "elements of the P bass coming together with elements of the Jazz to create something not quite as good as either"
Or were they just bad examples?

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='691409' date='Dec 22 2009, 12:19 PM']I have a PJ equipped Warwick Streamer and a PJ equipped Fender and I have to say that it is my favourite combinations of pups available. I've not tried the basses you mention but I can only assume that the duff tone is down to that particular bass with those particular manufacturers pups in it! :)[/quote]

+1 to all that. My P bass with Seymour Duncan PJ pickups sounds great

I've got a DiMarzio P and a Schaller J in my Precision and it used to be my bass for all occasions when I used to play 'for money'. Sh#t pickups will always sound, well, sh#t, no matter what combinations they're in, but a decent PJ combination should cover more tonal ground than double J or humbuckers unless coil switches and/or decent tone circuits are factored in.

Bear in mind different P pickups can sound quite different to one another - same with J's.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bottle' post='691469' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:25 PM']Very happy with the wide range of tones I can get out of my Squier Precision Special - most of it's down to RH technique and playing over the bridge or neck pup. And well worth a punt - mine was bought for under 200 notes.[/quote]

+1 Having heard someone playing a squier p special at a jam session and finding out it was as bought with original PU's I decided to take a punt on one. 180 quid delivered and was totally playable straight out of the box. If I need an extra bass in an odd tuning or whatever this will be perfect for the job. Better than I expected.

[quote name='KevB' post='708609' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:28 AM']+1 Having heard someone playing a squier p special at a jam session and finding out it was as bought with original PU's I decided to take a punt on one. 180 quid delivered and was totally playable straight out of the box. If I need an extra bass in an odd tuning or whatever this will be perfect for the job. Better than I expected.[/quote]
Great stuff - glad you like it!! Mine required very little in the way of setting up - just a truss rod adjustment to counter the lower string tension due to my mad desire for a D-Standard tuning. Works great though, and the bass is otherwise stock - original pups 'n' all :). Maybe an upgrade path there - Delano's or Wizzards or EMGs?

Ian

My fender aerodyne Precision has got a p/j configuration, and it is wired so that the p pickup has stronger output. That is not a mod, it came like this from the factory. It is clear that the j pickup essentially adds definition to the P sound, but it is quite weedy when soloed. I wonder if that kind of wiring is the norm for P/J fenders

[quote name='razze06' post='708625' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:45 AM']My fender aerodyne Precision has got a p/j configuration, and it is wired so that the p pickup has stronger output. That is not a mod, it came like this from the factory. It is clear that the j pickup essentially adds definition to the P sound, but it is quite weedy when soloed. I wonder if that kind of wiring is the norm for P/J fenders[/quote]

That just about sums up my Aerodyne 'P' - though mine has a bugger of a hum on the jazz pup (earthing is all good)

wondered about a straight swap for a couple of SD's - just to give it that little extra kick- and to kill the hum (copper sheild at the same time)

I also found that the Squier 'P' Special very good for tonal range.

As for the Encore mentioned in the OP seems quite typical of their stuff, tone doesn't strike me as being that good, but quite a powerful output. - I watched my son in a showcase for new bands where the entire back line was supplied- most of them used Encores, and the bass really cut through - my son's Fender 50's 'P' couldn't be heard at all.......They were all told not to touch the back line as this was all sorted by the guys running the event.

[quote name='KevB' post='708609' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:28 AM']+1 Having heard someone playing a squier p special at a jam session and finding out it was as bought with original PU's I decided to take a punt on one. 180 quid delivered and was totally playable straight out of the box. If I need an extra bass in an odd tuning or whatever this will be perfect for the job. Better than I expected.[/quote]

I've been thinking for a while now about getting one, and the responses here about it are pushing more towards doing so! Awhile back I saw a black/pewter-like grey (one which looked rather nice) being played and was impressed.

Edited by Jerry_B

The only thing that was mildly disappointing with my P bass special was that it was advertised as having a matching coloured headstock but in fact just has an unfinished headstock with the logo on it. Not particularly bothered, at least the body colour was what I ordered. More interested in the playability of the neck and the sound I get from it really.

[quote name='arsenic' post='708648' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:06 AM']That just about sums up my Aerodyne 'P' - though mine has a bugger of a hum on the jazz pup (earthing is all good)

wondered about a straight swap for a couple of SD's - just to give it that little extra kick- and to kill the hum (copper sheild at the same time)[/quote]

It will hum when the bridge pickup is solo'd, as it's a single coil. However, it shouldn't hum when both pickups are up full.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='691499' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:45 PM']Aye, I like my mex deluxe.

You shouldn't expect them to sound like a Precision OR a Jazz though. Although mine is more precision than jazz.[/quote]

I'm confused .. Why don't P-J basses sound like a P bass when the P pickup is solo'd?
Or was that just that particular pair of instruments. They are active, right?
Is that it?

I have a old P/J bass which I believe somebody put together from mighty mite parts in the 70's or early 80's. It's incredibly solid and heavy and with both pickups combined sounds great. Unfortunately the pickups played individually don't sound so good. The split pickup sounds clanky and the jazz pickup sounds a bit too middy (it's very close to the bridge). Maybe one day I'll upgrade the pickups and fit two volumes so I can blend the pickups like a jazz bass which would make it a much more versatile instrument.

Edited by gjones