Why become a member? ×

Thinking about Muffs

eude

Hey guys,
looking for a bit of advice.

I'm currently using an old school Russian Big Muff, the one with the "pie" symbol, not the dark green one though, the kind matt black one, batteries only, OK OK - I'll get pics up soon...
Anyway, I'm very happy with the sound, but I'm drawn to the shiny new Metal Muff with Top Boost, the one with two buttons.

Has anyone tried the new Metal Muff with bass?

Any idea how much my old Muff would be worth, it's in absolutely perfect condition.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='76023' date='Oct 18 2007, 02:55 PM']Hey guys,

I'm currently using an old school Russian Big Muff, the one with the "pie" symbol, not the dark green one though, the kind matt black one, batteries only, OK OK - I'll get pics up soon...
Anyway, I'm very happy with the sound, but I'm drawn to the shiny new Metal Muff with Top Boost, the one with two buttons.

Any idea how much my old Muff would be worth, it's in absolutely perfect condition.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
i dont think the old skool black ones are very sought after, despite it sounding very similar if not the same, cant rememer if they changed the circuit or not. id expect under £100 if in mint condition

[quote name='BassManKev' post='76179' date='Oct 18 2007, 08:46 PM']i dont think the old skool black ones are very sought after, despite it sounding very similar if not the same, cant rememer if they changed the circuit or not. id expect under £100 if in mint condition[/quote]

Thanks for that dude,
That's way more than I ever would expect for it anyway though, I didn't think it would be a collectors item or anything.
I was thinking less than £50 odd...

So you tried the Metal Muff Kev, I've noticed from your posts you like your distortion/fuzz.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='76023' date='Oct 18 2007, 02:55 PM']Hey guys,

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

That Muff should go for about £60.

The new Metal Muff, I tried it, it's absolute s h i t for bass. Useless. Regarding Muffs, I'd order them from best to worst as Russians (good tone but lacking definition), Little (ok but too much gain and boomy bass), American (bad, kills the low end but usable), Metal (typical metal distortion, scooped mids, kills low end, controls make little difference with a bass, completely annihilates the tone of the instrument and all you get is white noise distortion).

Cheers for the input guys!
Think I may have dodged a bullet there!

Shame the Metal Muff is s**t for bass, I'd assumed that because it was an EHX Muff it would offer up decent fuzz for bass, oh well...

I 'spose I might be in the market for a decent fuzz pedal for bass then, any suggestions?

Cheers,
Eude

Like Kev said, try an MT-2, although, that's not really fuzz.

I really like the danelectro French Toast (not sure if I got the name right). It's an octave/fuzz but you can turn off the octave. It's in a plastic case, but you can change that for the price. Someone else on here said they loved this pedal too.

Edit: There's another danelectro octave/fuzz that's black instead of light blue, and this one is mental! Also great for bass, but, beware, it's seriously dirty!

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='eude' post='76333' date='Oct 19 2007, 08:56 AM']Cheers for the input guys!
Think I may have dodged a bullet there!

Shame the Metal Muff is s**t for bass, I'd assumed that because it was an EHX Muff it would offer up decent fuzz for bass, oh well...

I 'spose I might be in the market for a decent fuzz pedal for bass then, any suggestions?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Well, I think it's sh*t, but other perople might disagree, maybe you should still try it if you had the chance, but I think it's unlikely you'll find it good.

Best Fuzz (that's not Zvex and therefore is affordable): Zoom Ultra Fuzz UF-01
I also like Frantone fuzzes (which sound like nothing else), and the Skreddy Mayo, which sounds like an old triangle Muff. Still, you can get that sound with all the controls on the Zoom AND with more definition.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='76388' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:40 AM']Well, I think it's sh*t, but other perople might disagree, maybe you should still try it if you had the chance, but I think it's unlikely you'll find it good.

Best Fuzz (that's not Zvex and therefore is affordable): Zoom Ultra Fuzz UF-01
I also like Frantone fuzzes (which sound like nothing else), and the Skreddy Mayo, which sounds like an old triangle Muff. Still, you can get that sound with all the controls on the Zoom AND with more definition.[/quote]

Col man, thanks for the advice guys.
It's definitely Fuzz I'm going for here.
I do love dirty bass tones, but I've not really found any tube emulation that does the job properly yet, so all out baws to the wall fuzz is the way forward for me just now.

I'll check these pedals out and see what I can come up with.

Eude

[quote name='cheddatom' post='76428' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:50 AM']Seriously try those two danelectro mini pedals if you get the chance. I know it sounds like a budget-only option, but, IMHO they are very cool pedals, especially on bass.[/quote]

Cool, I will do mate.
Seems I just missed a Zoom Ultra Fuzz too, bu**er!
That French Toast is dirt cheap >>
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dj13_french_toast.htm?partner_id=59917"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dj13_f...artner_id=59917[/url]

Roll on Pay Day!

Eude

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='76571' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:38 PM']try the EHX pocket metal muff- it works really well on bass. gets almost exactly that Cliff fuzz sound.
you can find them on the bay for around £35 new, and they are only the size of an mxr pedal![/quote]

See eude, I tried the big version of that one and I thought it was absolute rubbish... Nothing like trying things yourself, whenever possible, since people will have complete opposite opinions...

Thanks for all the input guys.
I think I'm going to try the Danelectro French Toast and if it's worth it, I'll re-house it for a bit more road worthiness, anyone got any tips for doing something like that?

If that fails, then I'm just going to have to find a decent guitar shop with a decent selection of pedals and just noodle for a while till I get the right one.

Also, on my travels I found these guys [url="http://www.happyrobotmusic.co.uk/pedals.html"]Happy Robot Music[/url].
They look pretty interesting too, seen them on "Buy It Now" on ebay for £35 to £40...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='cheddatom' post='77689' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:45 AM']The French toast won't break if you don't re-house it. It just "feels" flimsy. I've had mine on my board for at least 3 years, it must have done 100 gigs at least, with me stamping on it. I've never had any issues with it that weren't psychological.[/quote]

Wow! The pedal can cause psychological problems! :)
Looking forward to getting my mits on one now!

I reckon re-housing would be worthwhile, for me anyway, as careful as I can be, I can't vouch for our lead singer who has a habit of landing on my pedals or tripping on my leads, so better safe than sorry I reckon, either that or build a ring fence out of cattle wire to protect my pedals...

Cheers,
Eude