Why become a member? ×

Info?

et1058

Hi, I have been using a 'HH Electronic Bass Machine 250w amp head' for the past several years

I cannot find any info at all anywhere on it, hence the lack of it here. I believe it was made in the early 80's

I am hoping to sell it in the near future so need more info and a possible price?

Here is a link, not very good, but the only one I can find of some bassist who uses it haha (he is definately not me)

[url="http://reverenddrivetrain.co.uk/daz/"]http://reverenddrivetrain.co.uk/daz/[/url]

Thanks

Check out this site: [url="http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/"]http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/[/url]

these guys made them in the first place, and restore/refurb/sell old ones. I don't know a great deal about the different models, but some are certainly worth their weight in, er.... well maybe not Gold; Egyptian cotton, chocolate or maybe fresh Tuna though?!?

I've got a Bass Machine head, and though I've not used it for years I love it's basic sound - very in your face and aggressive. I've got a review of it from International Musician somewhere which, being written by Stephen Delft, was very biased towards the technical aspects of the thing.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you it's about 180W into 8 ohms, and despite the name it was also designed with guitarists in mind - the eq centres were a bit of a compromise. The passive (and interactive) rotary tone controls weren't particularly intuitive either, with (I think) the bass control having a flat response when set on 10. Mine cost me £275 in 1983, which was well down on the full retail price. I'll try and dig out the review, but it'll probably be early next week before I can.

It's been a few years since I saw one on ebay (mainly because I haven't been looking) but £125 seemed to be the going rate.

[quote name='et1058' post='77043' date='Oct 20 2007, 05:24 PM']Thanks for that, it'll be interesting to see the review[/quote]

As promised, here are the scans from IM&RW February 1981.

[attachment=3058:bassmachine1.jpg] [attachment=3059:bassmachine2.jpg]

I have had my Bassmachine head for around a year now, bought predominantly for the smaller gigs, and also because it came with a 2x15 cabinet. The speakers in the cab were original HH rated at 100watts each, although i've upgraded these to 500w Eminence Delta Drivers now.

I have the tech sheets for this head, including wiring diagrams (bonus) and it says
-output power : 250w into 4 ohms
-Input impedance : 1M Ohms
-Compressor control range : 40dB
-Bass control @ 50Hz : +12dB -9dB
-Mid contro @ 200Hz : +3dB -3dB
-Treble cont @10kHz : +14dB -8dB
-Graphic eq range: +/- 12dB @ 70Hz, 125Hz, 350Hz, 820Hz, 2kHz
-output to mixer: 20mV, 200 Ohms
-signal to noise ratio: 75dB
-Dimensions: h-228mm, w-692mm, d-311mm
-Weight : 16kg

The heads originally came with a 3 way footswitch with features for switching between channel 1 & channel 2, and for turning the effects (phaser) on or off. Unfortunately mine didn't but I had one made for it. (try locating an old 7pin din plug these days!!!) and its great. The only problem I had with this amp was it was fading and distorting in both channels. This was traced to 2 faulty capacitors, so they were replaced with original HH ones and its been fine ever since. It drives 2 cabs at just under full volume (min load 4 ohms) quite happily all night long, without so much as breaking a sweat.

I have to admit though that this was an ebay bargain. I won't disclose how much I paid for it, but I can say I recently saw one for sale in France for approximately 180 quid. It wasn't immaculate, but everything worked, and it didn't have the footswitch. Spares are readily available from these guys here www.majelectronic.co.uk.

Hope this helps and good luck when you come to sell it. Don't let it go for peanuts though. A good one in full working order is rare!!

Oh yeah, and thanks for the link to our website!!

Regards, Daz
www.reverenddrivetrain.co.uk

[quote name='badmonkey666' post='79713' date='Oct 26 2007, 11:04 AM']I have had my Bassmachine head for around a year now, bought predominantly for the smaller gigs, and also because it came with a 2x15 cabinet. The speakers in the cab were original HH rated at 100watts each, although i've upgraded these to 500w Eminence Delta Drivers now.

I have the tech sheets for this head, including wiring diagrams (bonus) and it says
-output power : 250w into 4 ohms
-Input impedance : 1M Ohms
-Compressor control range : 40dB
-Bass control @ 50Hz : +12dB -9dB
-Mid contro @ 200Hz : +3dB -3dB
-Treble cont @10kHz : +14dB -8dB
-Graphic eq range: +/- 12dB @ 70Hz, 125Hz, 350Hz, 820Hz, 2kHz
-output to mixer: 20mV, 200 Ohms
-signal to noise ratio: 75dB
-Dimensions: h-228mm, w-692mm, d-311mm
-Weight : 16kg

The heads originally came with a 3 way footswitch with features for switching between channel 1 & channel 2, and for turning the effects (phaser) on or off. Unfortunately mine didn't but I had one made for it. (try locating an old 7pin din plug these days!!!) and its great. The only problem I had with this amp was it was fading and distorting in both channels. This was traced to 2 faulty capacitors, so they were replaced with original HH ones and its been fine ever since. It drives 2 cabs at just under full volume (min load 4 ohms) quite happily all night long, without so much as breaking a sweat.

I have to admit though that this was an ebay bargain. I won't disclose how much I paid for it, but I can say I recently saw one for sale in France for approximately 180 quid. It wasn't immaculate, but everything worked, and it didn't have the footswitch. Spares are readily available from these guys here www.majelectronic.co.uk.

Hope this helps and good luck when you come to sell it. Don't let it go for peanuts though. A good one in full working order is rare!!

Oh yeah, and thanks for the link to our website!!

Regards, Daz
www.reverenddrivetrain.co.uk[/quote]

Theses things seem quite popular in France (well - comparitivly anyway). In fact the last band I saw using one was French. It might well be worth making any auction available to Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='et1058' post='75987' date='Oct 18 2007, 01:39 PM']Hi, I have been using a 'HH Electronic Bass Machine 250w amp head' for the past several years

I cannot find any info at all anywhere on it, hence the lack of it here. I believe it was made in the early 80's

I am hoping to sell it in the near future so need more info and a possible price?

Here is a link, not very good, but the only one I can find of some bassist who uses it haha (he is definately not me)

[url="http://reverenddrivetrain.co.uk/daz/"]http://reverenddrivetrain.co.uk/daz/[/url]

Thanks[/quote]

Hi,

I'm a proud owner of a H&H Bass Machine. I love it's thunderous simplicity, especially with the 15" cab that came with it. I paid 300 euros for this stack, and it hasn't been a disappointment.
I mostly play psychadelic rock and post-rock and the amp is perfect for this (vintage style...). And -in my humble opinion- it looks very, very cool. The phaser is hylarious, but although I would never seriously consider using it, it's a cool thing to have on board.
If you are planning to sell it: It will never get you ritch. You could better do someone who knows to appreciate this ultracool great sounding amp a favour. Like myself :-) (and yes: I am serious).
Far beyond all those colourless Ampegs...

Marijn

www.myspace.com/agentsinpanama