Why become a member? ×

Veillette Basses

franzbassist

After just over four months since placing my order, I picked up my Veillette Archtop from Phil Ward, Joe's UK rep, this afternoon.

Obviously it's early days and I haven't given it a good run out yet, but all I can say is...

Wow. It is quite simply stunning.

Spruce arched top over poplar body. Maple neck. Ebony fingerboard, bridge and tailpiece. It weighs just 8.5lb and balances perfectly (yes, I was surprised as well). Fit and finish is superb.

Electronics are a regular Citron soapbar and a DTar piezo pickup in the bridge, with just a single tone control, run through a DTar 18v preamp.

The tone is just incredible. Fretless is my favourite type of bass to play, and this just [i]sings[/i]; every note sustains beautifully, with that wonderful swell and blossom you associate with a quality fretless. The magnetic pickup gives you a pretty conventional electric tone, but dial in the piezo and roll off the tone and it gets very upright indeed.

I've played a lot of basses in my time, many of them "boutique", and I have to say I think this tops the lot. Joe Veillette and his team are true craftsmen, and in Phil he couldn't have a better UK rep.

Enjoy...

Gareth

PS Sorry about the rubbish flash photos, better ones will follow when next the sun shines.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='BassBod' post='688053' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:37 AM']Very nice.....looks like LaBella strings? A lovely simple design that lets you get on with the playing - enjoy.

On a different topic - where did you get on the amp setup?[/quote]

Yep, La Bella strings indeed. Very nice they are too.

Have decided to keep my current Markbass LMK and two EA cabs. Too mch of a hit, financially, to sell any of it in current climes.

[quote name='philw' post='689414' date='Dec 19 2009, 10:10 PM']Thanks Gareth. Glad you're enjoying it. Flattery won't get you a better deal on the next one you know (no, actually, thinking about it, it might).

Phil[/quote]

Thanks Phil. Make sure you add pictures of your acoustic to the thread as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Having now gigged the bass and played it most evenings over the last few weeks, I have to say it is without doubt the best fretless I've ever owned. The sustain is just incredible and the variety of tones lurking inside it is amazing for such a simple setup. I am so pleased with it I want to get a fretted version as well....

[quote name='walbassist' post='707257' date='Jan 9 2010, 11:47 PM']Thanks for all the kind words guys. Having now gigged the bass and played it most evenings over the last few weeks, I have to say it is without doubt the best fretless I've ever owned. The sustain is just incredible and the variety of tones lurking inside it is amazing for such a simple setup. I am so pleased with it I want to get a fretted version as well....[/quote]

Whoa, hold on a sec. as an admirer of the collection of Wals you've owned in the past - are you saying this is better than the Wal fretless you owned ?

[quote]Whoa, hold on a sec. as an admirer of the collection of Wals you've owned in the past - are you saying this is better than the Wal fretless you owned ?[/quote]

Better? No, just different. This bass has a much more organic, natural, and less "processed" sound than the Wal.

[quote]Are those rotodound black nylons she's wearing?[/quote]

They're La Bellas, and very nice they are too.

[quote name='walbassist' post='707287' date='Jan 10 2010, 12:25 AM']Better? No, just different. This bass has a much more organic, natural, and less "processed" sound than the Wal.[/quote]

[quote name='walbassist' post='707257' date=''Jan 10 2010, 11:47 AM']...I have to say it is without doubt the best fretless I've ever owned[/quote]

Sorry the word "best" interpreted therefore as better :) came from your quote above.

Anyway... I've listened to/watched a couple of these basses on youtube and they do have a very "organic" sound, I think that is a good representation of the tone etc. Anyway, nice bass.

EDIT: Typical grammar mess of mine, tidied up

Edited by purpleblob

[quote]What's the string spacing?[/quote]

Wider than a Wal, my guess is 18mm.

[quote]Sorry the word "best" interpreted therefore as better smile.gif came from your quote above.[/quote]

Not to worry, my wording may have been less than imprecise in the first place.

Cheers

Gareth

Verrrry nice. Just about perfect looks for me :) and 19mm spacing too. The only thing I could think of that [i]might[/i] make it even more perfect would be a 2nd mag pickup.

We must arrange that A/B session with my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31111&hl="]RA Deep 5[/url] some time when the weather is a bit less of a pain.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='709523' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:40 PM']Verrrry nice. Just about perfect looks for me :) and 19mm spacing too. The only thing I could think of that [i]might[/i] make it even more perfect would be a 2nd mag pickup.

We must arrange that A/B session with my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31111&hl="]RA Deep 5[/url] some time when the weather is a bit less of a pain.

Andy[/quote]

Thanks Andy. Yes, an AB session would be good as I've always loved Rob's basses. Drop me a PM when the snow clears?