Why become a member? ×

ACG Recurve Single Cut 5 String

Brave Sir Robin

I finally took the plunge, and some bonus money from work came in handy to cure my GAS for a custom!

I'm going for a ACG Recurve Single Cut 5 String, specced with all the bells and whistles :
- Walnut top and back.
- Limba core.
- 5 piece Wenge / Bubinga neck.
- 18 mm spacing.
- Macassar ebony fretboard.
- MM / HB pickups (both switchable).
- ACG filter preamp.
- Oil finish.
- Macassar Ebony wooden knobs.

It's gonna be a belter I recon. I've got pics of the woods, the deposit and final details aren't yet done, but I can't wait (even though the build is gonna take a while)!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='eude' post='75627' date='Oct 17 2007, 03:47 PM']Sweet sounding bass dude.
Looking forward to watching this one!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Hey Eude, I'll keep you all posted :)

I believe I bought a Thumb BO 5 (wenge neck) from you, feels like ages ago! That bass kicked major bottoms, but really too hard to play for me in the end. That little monster is in good hands now, and it's seeing some serious live action!

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='75635' date='Oct 17 2007, 04:06 PM']Hey Eude, I'll keep you all posted :)

I believe I bought a Thumb BO 5 (wenge neck) from you, feels like ages ago! That bass kicked major bottoms, but really too hard to play for me in the end. That little monster is in good hands now, and it's seeing some serious live action![/quote]

Ah right, how you getting on bud?
The ol' Thumb Bass is a funny one, a bit of a marmite bass, I was just so used to it at the time, but after I got my custom Shuker with super-slim neck I couldn't really go back to it.

Alan will make you an incredible bass though, he's really talented and a really nice guy along with it!
I don't reckon I'll be going any other way but custom from now on and when I can finally afford it again, I'll be chapping at the door of AC Guitars for sure!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='75645' date='Oct 17 2007, 04:37 PM']Excellent, nice one!

Do you have pics of the Walnut to share because the figure in that can vary massively from piece to piece?[/quote]

indeed I have. It's all rough cuts, but I have pics of the board, core and walnut.

big chunk o' Limba

walnut

mac ebony

it's all rough. I wanted to wait for Alan to do his magic first, but since you're all so impatient... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also toying with the idea of pushing the MM pickup at the bridge further towards the neck, in an attempt to capture more of a Stingray vibe. Then again, I'm not sure if 1) it will actually make a difference and 2) it wont mess up the thing. Nothing drastic, something like 1 cm, or 1/2 inch. Note that I will have a slim humbucker at the neck, with coil tapping option.

So if you guys have any thoughts...

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='83883' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:53 AM']I'm also toying with the idea of pushing the MM pickup at the bridge further towards the neck, in an attempt to capture more of a Stingray vibe. Then again, I'm not sure if 1) it will actually make a difference and 2) it wont mess up the thing. Nothing drastic, something like 1 cm, or 1/2 inch. Note that I will have a slim humbucker at the neck, with coil tapping option.

So if you guys have any thoughts...[/quote]

I dont think you will mess it up moving the pickup foward I moved the front pickup back on my recurve mainly for more area to slap and it didnt seem to effect the sound.

But I dont think you have quite gathered how powerful the pre-amp is. Mixing together the front and rear pickup and playing with the filter controls can quite easily create a musicmanesk tone where ever you put the pickup I would have thought. I can certainly get close to the musicman sound even with the normal pickups on my recurve and the harlot I have I think gets there even easier.

I would certainly suggest one of alans musicman style pickups they sound huge. As for moving it forward I dont think it makes too much difference.

it's got the RFB at the back. The big mean thing. And although the pre-amp can do great things, I think there is more to it than just the pre. There is a certain tone balance a stingray has, that I find appealing, and doesn't 'honk' as much as a J at the bridge.

and it's official. woohoo!

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Diary/58/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Diary/58/[/url]

I think I'll see if I can push it a centimeter further. :)

the overall esthetics would be very similar to this,...

My god it's gonna look spanking :huh:

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...