Why become a member? ×

Possibly a contentious subject?

Huw Foster

OK, so this might not be as controversial as I believe it to be, but I can only ask to find out opinions on the matter.

For a little while now I've been toying with the idea of using a hybrid set-up for certain gigs. In fact, I can pinpoint the moment when I realised I wanted to give it a go - watching Michael Jackson's 'This Is It', plus [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t55J6Op_5oE"]other live videos[/url], and falling in love with the absolutely massive synth bass tone. Ever heard the demo version of 'Workin' Day and Night'? [b]DIS-GUS-TING[/b].

No, I don't want a keytar like the one in that video, haha. Nor do I want to install a MIDI pick-up in any of my basses - to my ears there seems to be a difference in feel that is nigh on impossible to achieve on a bass guitar.

Rather than fork out for a self-contained module, I've been trying to think of relatively inexpensive solutions. I already have a 2 year-old MacBook Pro that would probably manage OK with running Ableton or Mainstage (or maybe even Logic, as I hear Mainstage has reliability issues?) in a live situation. I already have a USB MIDI keyboard that has assignable controls (although I could probably do with getting one with a larger keyboard), but what I suppose I need now is a USB audio interface that I can run the whole thing through.

Has anyone else tried this, or something similar? Should I get an A/B switch so I can run them both through my amp?

Anyway, I guess the main question I'm asking is, can anyone recommend me a decent (yet not too pricey) USB audio interface? I'd like to use it for home recording as well.

Thoughts, etc?

Focusrite Saffire or Saffire LE will be good choices, go for around £150-200 and give you multiple outputs and good sound quality. You could even run your bass through it (legendary preamps) which would eliminate the need for any kind of A/B switch before your bass amp. Add to that if you ran Ableton or, even better for this in my experience, Logic, you could actually use your midi keyboard to trigger VSTs on the bass guitar live- it's a lot of fun to play around with. But in answer to the main point of your post I think you should go for it, it's a great idea!

Good to see some encouraging responses. :)

I'm almost definitely going to do it. I've just started rehearsing with a new covers band - we're doing a fair bit of Chic (definitely using the Stingray for that), as well as some modern R&B which I find surprisingly bearable (maybe actually playing some of the lines has made me realise how fun it is), a few MJ tracks and other assorted late 70s/80s synthy goodness. Some of the tunes are just crying out for proper synth (or VST in my case).

I've also been involved with a MJ tribute that began as a final performance for my degree (which we started working on [i]before[/i] he died - ahead of the curve? :rolleyes:). The demo of that is almost done... what happens afterwards is anybody's guess. We'd love to tour it though.

Incidentally, I found the demo of 'Workin' Day and Night' on Spotify. [url="http://open.spotify.com/track/0t8L9CR2p7jQkxkgYZjMKp"]The beginning is hilarious.[/url]

Edited by Huwberry

I do it,but unfortunately don't get a lot of calls for it.
When I do I run my Macbook with Logic Mainstage with
an M-Audio Oxygen Keyboard. I got into it after talking to
Janek about how he was using synth bass on some gigs.
I think it can be really cool and adds a different texture that
you can't get on a bass guitar.

Edited by Doddy

Synth bass can be great, and so yes go for it I reckon. Many moons ago I had an old Roland SH-09 mono synth which I used for bass... big fat (sorry, [i]phat[/i]) Moogesque noises, god it was great. How much do I wish I still had it. :)

I have tried Guitar Rig, Live and Mainstage - of those, Guitar rig is straightforward, but doesn't do anything better than analogue gear, Mainstage still feels a bit 'beta" to me - though I am a big fan of Logic otherwise -plus I have experienced some switch lag and you need a fast Mac for it. Live IMO has most to offer as a creative tool for performance. I have ended up using analogue gear for everything except 'experimental' performance, when I use Live - its more reliable and has no latency issues .

Of course you could check out MAXMSP which is really fun - btw - apologies if you know all this - but if you like wiring stuff up to see what happens its the best option- you can get a 30 day trial - its been around for ages and Cycling74 has a lot of good links to resources - otherwise there is MAX for Live - I haven't tried it yet but will soon - looks like a good implementation of the 2 apps.

Couple of other points - I'd avoid USB audio interfaces - Firewire units are cheap enough now and you avoid latency issues (though I realise USB3 is coming and fewer laptops have FW400 etc). Last thing is its really useful to have a rudimentary midi switching pedalboard - if you are tempted by the seeming cheapness and versatility of the Behringer fcb1010 - as I was - you'd best be prepared for a LOT of messing about to get everything working happily - I'd suggest you start by simply switching the digital FX in and out then look at adding dynamic control later - depending on your needs and software. I jumped a bit too quickly into multiple midi switching, pedals etc - big mistake!

Worth trying though - good luck!
J

Edited by johnny_b

Huwberry, I'd try to have a go on someone else's laptop/keyboard rig before committing, you might find the latency when playing through a PC gets in the way of your groove :) even with the buffer size set really low the latency will still probably be >10ms. Firewire doesn't help either, it's just the time it takes your PC to process the sound. That said, plenty of people play laptops lives so maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Doddy, how do you find playing with your rig live?

Remember you can get a "proper" bass synth like a Novation Bass Station for ~£150. OR you could get a synth with a built-in USB audio interface like an X-Station or a Xiosynth.

Good luck!

[quote name='kneal6' post='687927' date='Dec 18 2009, 01:02 AM']Remember you can get a "proper" bass synth like a Novation Bass Station for ~£150. OR you could get a synth with a built-in USB audio interface like an X-Station or a Xiosynth.[/quote]
+1
Don't f*** about with software synths - buy a proper one!