Why become a member? ×

Barefaced T'Vintage Review.

Shockwave

I am a total neutral on BareFaced but a (much too) regular user of the Forum who tends to slavishly read most threads (yeah, I know). So here's my tuppennyworth:

I perceive no "hype" for BareFaced but a combination of a few very regular posters (including mods) who have had very good experiences with BF and want to let people know about it, plus an interested party affiliate (ie, Alex) who has tended to post on (and be asked about) all design and build issues cab-related. The consequence of this is that there is definitely a pro-BF sub-community on BC. But hype, no.

As cabs go they are clearly not for everyone, especially as people's styles, ears and sensibilities differ, but it seems to me that there are many more happy users than unhappy users and they fulfill a very clear niche in the market. Sadly Shockwave suffered from QC issues which frankly would hack all of us off, although it looks like eventually it has been resolved to his satisfaction. He has the absolute right to post on this though as he spent a large amount of hard-earned dosh and endured many weeks of frustration. I don't think he was wrong to bring this up as there were clearly communication issues with Alex which only served to prolong the problems. I think, however, there has, if anything, been more bandwagon jumping on the anti-BF side of things in the subsequent 'debate' than on the pro side. Anti-hype if you like.

I for one would probably not be looking to buy a BareFaced cab as I am not overly enamoured by the design (I would prefer a more substantial looking exterior and would be prepared to sacrifice some extra pounds in weight for this), plus I am such a tart about shifting gear on that I would be worried about taking a large financial 'hit' if I had to re-sell what is currently a special interest brand (although I sincerely hope it can go on to become a very successful British music brand). However, I am open minded and if Alex produced a Vintage, Compact or Big One with sturdier exterior (and maybe a more subtle logo, sorry but these things matter) I would definitely be prepared to give it a go (my favourite looking cabs for reference are Mesa and Orange).

Good luck Alex and - whatever you think of BareFaced - his valuable contributions to the Forum will be missed if he does step away. Mind you I never understood his graphs :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='690808' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:12 PM']You clearly have no idea what a double negative is.[/quote]

I know what a double negative is. I just don't know how to describe a phrase that is so painfully convoluted because you are so desperate to argue with someone that you contradict yourself in the space of two sentences.

[quote]The cab IS "colouring your sound. Whatever that means".[/quote]

Sounds to me like you are very definitely stating that everybody else is wrong...but you don't quite know how. But they are wrong. You just don't what "that" means. But it does do "that". Whatever that is.

Seriously fella, I have seen you tell people they are wrong and that their opinions are nonsense. You are blunt, rude, overly opinionated and aggressive. You jump into every single controversial thread. You are never very far away from trouble. It's just lucky that we have an ignore option because every time I am stupid enough to allow you back into my consciousness I have to put you back on ignore.

I have zero respect for you and your opinions.

Back on ignore you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Christ, do us all a favour Paul and stop staring down your nose at anyone you happen to disagree with. You obviously do care about what Toasted posts or you wouldn't have constructed such a drawn out post to essentially say "I don't like you, so I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and see how you like that".

Your loss, frankly, I personally find the majority of Joe's posts to be either insightful or beautifully sarcastic, I wouldn't take everything so personally if I were you :)

Finnbass?

Anyhow, Toasted (Joe) is a nice guy. There may have been posts he's made that I haven't agreed with or just haven't got but so what.

And yep its a speaker in a box and anybody who has used/heard one has the right to make a comment on it's performance.

[quote name='JTUK' post='691054' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:58 PM']OT..what is the deal with Finnbass here...... it is just another bass chat site isn't it...??[/quote]
Yes, as I understand it (not been on it myself other than to look at the log-in page). I believe it features a number of BC exiles and/or persona non grata (eg Bass Ferret) thus there is some sort of rivalry that gets cited occasionally when there is a controversy on this site.

It sounds absolutely crazy that people feel they have to leave after a disagreement over the internet. We all have things we agree and disagree on. This topic has flared up so much interest, and I think some of it may be due to the fact that certain members are wary of any newcomers being flooded with 'get a Compact' comments to every single 'what cab?' thread.

Compacts will work for some people, but not for all. We shouldnt shower certain pieces of equipment with mass praise...

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Clarky' post='691060' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:02 PM']Yes, as I understand it (not been on it myself other than to look at the log-in page). I believe it features a number of BC exiles and/or persona non grata (eg Bass Ferret) thus there is some sort of rivalry that gets cited occasionally when there is a controversy on this site.[/quote]

Ok, thanks

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='690539' date='Dec 21 2009, 12:11 PM']Talk about stating the totally bloody obvious!

I haven't read one Barefaced review on here that I've perceived as hype. Just people giving their honest accounts of what they think. Maybe it's more down to the way you're interpreting them. But that's your perception - not the intention of the writer.

Reading a review and taking it as just one opinion = Useful
Reading a review and taking it as hype = Not useful[/quote]

Sometimes 'The totally bloody obvious' needs to be stated, lest it be missed!

Also, I think I am intelligent enough to interpret a review of a product... If written with a degree of clarity.

The 'Hype' people are mentioning in this discussion (I think) is more along the lines of:
"I am looking for a cab..... "
"Get a Barefaced"

Similar to:
"I am looking for an amp....."
"Get a MarkBass"

Often, these replies are not backed up in any shape or form... possibly leaving the enquirer believing there is only one 'good' choice.

As has been stated many times already, we have different needs and requirements from our equipment.

I am not knocking Barefaced or MarkBass equipment.
(Unless both companies are paying people to post the "Get a .... " posts, which I doubt).

I have personally learned a lot about sound, and how I am achieving my own particular sound, from Alex.
It was not something that I ever really considered before joining this forum, and deciding to go lightweight.

Maybe if the unsubstantiated responses were challenged more often, this whole 'pro BF' and 'anti BF' could have been avoided!

[quote name='Clarky' post='691060' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:02 PM']Yes, as I understand it (not been on it myself other than to look at the log-in page). I believe it features a number of BC exiles and/or persona non grata (eg Bass Ferret) thus there is some sort of rivalry that gets cited occasionally when there is a controversy on this site.[/quote]

Don't forget the majority of Finbassers who co-exist quite happily 'celebrating the difference' as the French say.

Basschat

Pedro

[quote name='Musicman20' post='691070' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:20 PM'].... We shouldnt shower certain pieces of equipment with mass praise....[/quote]
This isn't "mass praise", its lots of individual praise. That happens when a good piece of kit comes on the market. Maybe something is good for OP maybe it isn't, but if [b]you[/b] think something else is worth a listen then recommend it!

[b]I really don't feel that I have to run my views past you lot before I post, so just deal with the fact that others have different views.[/b]

hi [quote name='Clarky' post='690954' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:07 PM']I am a total neutral on BareFaced but a (much too) regular user of the Forum who tends to slavishly read most threads (yeah, I know). So here's my tuppennyworth:

I perceive no "hype" for BareFaced but a combination of a few very regular posters (including mods) who have had very good experiences with BF and want to let people know about it, plus an interested party affiliate (ie, Alex) who has tended to post on (and be asked about) all design and build issues cab-related. The consequence of this is that there is definitely a pro-BF sub-community on BC. But hype, no.

As cabs go they are clearly not for everyone, especially as people's styles, ears and sensibilities differ, but it seems to me that there are many more happy users than unhappy users and they fulfill a very clear niche in the market. Sadly Shockwave suffered from QC issues which frankly would hack all of us off, although it looks like eventually it has been resolved to his satisfaction. He has the absolute right to post on this though as he spent a large amount of hard-earned dosh and endured many weeks of frustration. I don't think he was wrong to bring this up as there were clearly communication issues with Alex which only served to prolong the problems. I think, however, there has, if anything, been more bandwagon jumping on the anti-BF side of things in the subsequent 'debate' than on the pro side. Anti-hype if you like.

I for one would probably not be looking to buy a BareFaced cab as I am not overly enamoured by the design (I would prefer a more substantial looking exterior and would be prepared to sacrifice some extra pounds in weight for this), plus I am such a tart about shifting gear on that I would be worried about taking a large financial 'hit' if I had to re-sell what is currently a special interest brand (although I sincerely hope it can go on to become a very successful British music brand). However, I am open minded and if Alex produced a Vintage, Compact or Big One with sturdier exterior (and maybe a more subtle logo, sorry but these things matter) I would definitely be prepared to give it a go (my favourite looking cabs for reference are Mesa and Orange).

Good luck Alex and - whatever you think of BareFaced - his valuable contributions to the Forum will be missed if he does step away. Mind you I never understood his graphs :)[/quote]
hi all,
new mm sterling h piezo, markbass compressore, sans amp 21 gb 12.0 shuttle bf compact and bf t'midget,. ! nothing beats it w/w
you lot sound like a load of whingeing old farts. i can dial anything that needs be ...stop moanin' start experimenting !!