Why become a member? ×

Barefaced T'Vintage Review.

Shockwave

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='686880' date='Dec 16 2009, 11:16 PM']Ah, if you're in a hurry you're best off going with Dr. Bass.

:)[/quote]

Jeez, do they actually exist? I hear that they take so long to make, by the time it comes to load the speaker, the wood they used for the cab has turned to coal.

:)

Yeah, just a figure of speech - impossible to see how that comment might offend or be misunderstood in any way.

I think people should speak their minds about stuff, glowing or otherwise. Harmony Central has plenty of glowing reviews on there - you'd rather people deleted or didn't write their honest thoughts? You read the reviews, got hyped up, tried a couple of cabs, didn't like them, then got your money back.

No harm done. Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='sk8' post='686759' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:35 PM']Don't see why its a shame its just a fact.

I've tried the Compact and i am happy to pay the extra £150 for my Bergantino. A much better cab IMO[/quote]

Because everybody is searching for their ideal set up and if you try something that might be the answer and it isn't...then it's "a shame". I have no hidden agenda here. No need to try and read anything else into it! Harmless comment. Hardly worth mentioning really.

But seeing as you did mention it...

You don't think being disappointed in something could be described as "a shame"? You have never in your life tried something, not liked it and said "Oh, that's a shame!"? Do you always tough it out and go for the "Life is full of disappointment lad, just move on, no need to get emotional, stick to the facts." Personally if I have made an effort to try something new, whatever that may be, and it doesn't work out, I think "a shame" is a perfectly acceptable term to use. Of course if you want to use an innocent comment to justify your sentiments (Which do not need justifying in any way.) then go for it. See I think your second sentence stands up fine on it's own. It's a good sentence. It tells a story, it makes your point. Clear and concise. I like it. IMO your first sentence lets things down a bit because there is no need for it to be there. It is surplus to requirements. Also I don't understand why a "fact" cannot be "a shame" as well. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. There is the possibility that your desire to express your preference for a Bergantino over a Compact may have clouded your perception. Maybe you thought I wrote, "It's a shame the Barefaced cab is not the answer because they are the best thing since sliced bread and anybody who doesn't agree is worse than Hitler." Maybe that's what you thought I said. I didn't. I said it was a shame someone tried something and didn't like it. Which IMO is "a shame." I don't like people to be disappointed. I am going for a few drinks with friends tomorrow. One friend can't make it. That is both a shame and a fact.

Only joking...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='687087' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:28 AM']Harmony Central reviews are the biggest waste of time ever! Written by kids reviewing their dad's jazz box guitars saying that they are crap for metal...[/quote]

Don't talk rubbish, I'm really glad HC steered me away from Hofner and towards Ibanez because I had no idea Hofner wasn't a good idea for my Dream Theater tribute act

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='687087' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:28 AM']Harmony Central reviews are the biggest waste of time ever! Written by kids reviewing their dad's jazz box guitars saying that they are crap for metal...[/quote]

Sounds to me that they are quite useful for kids new to the guitar looking to play metal but unsure whether their Dad's old jazzer would be suitable. A little specific maybe, but still [i]some[/i] use.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='687092' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:30 AM']Because everybody is searching for their ideal set up and if you try something that might be the answer and it isn't...then it's "a shame". I have no hidden agenda here. No need to try and read anything else into it! Harmless comment. Hardly worth mentioning really.

But seeing as you did mention it...

You don't think being disappointed in something could be described as "a shame"? You have never in your life tried something, not liked it and said "Oh, that's a shame!"? Do you always tough it out and go for the "Life is full of disappointment lad, just move on, no need to get emotional, stick to the facts." Personally if I have made an effort to try something new, whatever that may be, and it doesn't work out, I think "a shame" is a perfectly acceptable term to use. Of course if you want to use an innocent comment to justify your sentiments (Which do not need justifying in any way.) then go for it. See I think your second sentence stands up fine on it's own. It's a good sentence. It tells a story, it makes your point. Clear and concise. I like it. IMO your first sentence lets things down a bit because there is no need for it to be there. It is surplus to requirements. Also I don't understand why a "fact" cannot be "a shame" as well. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. There is the possibility that your desire to express your preference for a Bergantino over a Compact may have clouded your perception. Maybe you thought I wrote, "It's a shame the Barefaced cab is not the answer because they are the best thing since sliced bread and anybody who doesn't agree is worse than Hitler." Maybe that's what you thought I said. I didn't. I said it was a shame someone tried something and didn't like it. Which IMO is "a shame." I don't like people to be disappointed. I am going for a few drinks with friends tomorrow. One friend can't make it. That is both a shame and a fact.

Only joking...

:)[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='umph' post='687114' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:47 AM']same and if you ever want to buy anything all the justification you need is in the reviews![/quote]

Yeah I let me G/F read them, you know like look 27 guys in the whole world think it's amazing so of course I can have it, I mean if I ever need to sell it there are 27 potential purchasers there.

The other side of it is I've reviewed stuff and put it on HC but I only spend my time reviewing things I like, if I don't like something it gets sold asap

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='687097' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:36 AM']I use HCFX to feel better about the gear I've bought, everything is so positive[/quote]

To the point where it's useless right? I love the reviews where some kid has obviously gone into a shop and played a guitar for 5 minutes and then writes a thesis on it's merits at a gig and how it's the best thing ever. (Come to think of it, there is a lot of that on here - people recommending stuff that they obviously haven't seen, let alone tried) Either that, or they pour out hate on the product they are reviewing because they haven't got the dollar to buy it!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='687125' date='Dec 17 2009, 10:53 AM']To the point where it's useless right? I love the reviews where some kid has obviously gone into a shop and played a guitar for 5 minutes and then writes a thesis on it's merits at a gig and how it's the best thing ever. (Come to think of it, there is a lot of that on here - people recommending stuff that they obviously haven't seen, let alone tried) Either that, or they pour out hate on the product they are reviewing because they haven't got the dollar to buy it! [b](Come to think of it, there is a lot of that on here as well.)[/b][/quote]

Just edited that for you EBS. Seems a bit more balanced now.

On the subject of "It's a shame I didn't like it".....

It WAS a shame (for me) that I didn't get on with The Compact!

I have a bad back and loved the idea of just using a 33lb cab.
I didn't actually say "I didn't like it".... It was more a case of it didn't work for me, as a one cab solution.

It might work for others, but not for me.

My band tends to play in confined areas and I realised (after gigging with The Compact) that:
I like to have a cab nearer to ear level.
The tone of the cab wasn't for me.

I liked the sound I got when I paired The Compact with my Ashdown 2x10, but that defeated the object of the exercise.

Unfortunately , (and I will take this opportunity to thank anyone who has reviewed my basses) I think reviews are pointless unless they are objective, written with a depth of understanding and from someone who has no prejudice and plenty of experience.
Musical instruments and gear are reviewed subjectively and personal likes and dislikes enter the equation. It applies especially here on basschat as there are those who wouldn't wear anything other than a Fender round their neck irrespective of whether other basses are better value, sound better or look better (in the reviewers opinion) and there lies the problem.

With regard to Alex , he has put a lot of effort into his business and is producing something different without the backing of a corporation or by getting his cabs made in China for peanuts.
I think the original gripe over his cab was satisfied amicably and how many other producers would just say " if you are not happy you can have a full refund"
It is pointless discussing this any further in this thread and this should be put to bed with any reviews of his gear going in the review forum written by people who have actually used his gear.

You can test a washing machine objectively by how clean your clothes come out of it but with instruments and gear its always going to be subjectively, so on many levels what one person says will be absolutely pointless to another , again I cite the Fender Good = Fender Bad debate.

It seems a typically British thing to knock the little guy and put down innovation, ideas and enthusiasm. Products from small producers may not be perfect (price / quality etc ) but the products come from a passion and desire to improve and innovate and with time and encouragement the products will improve and come down in price. Otherwise we may all as well just give in now and all you will be able to buy is American branded gear made in the far east by someone who doesn't give a sh*t....

[quote name='Prosebass' post='687191' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:03 PM']It seems a typically British thing to knock the little guy and put down innovation, ideas and enthusiasm. Products from small producers may not be perfect (price / quality etc ) but the products come from a passion and desire to improve and innovate and with time and encouragement the products will improve and come down in price. Otherwise we may all as well just give in now and all you will be able to buy is American branded gear made in the far east by someone who doesn't give a sh*t....[/quote]

I agree completely.

Im not in the market for another cab at the moment, but next time I am i would certainly consider a barefaced.
Although Ive never tried one, so I have no opinion, I find reviews interesting and i think do help the decision making process.
If i was going to summarise what I have picked up from this thread
OP Had a qc issue which was resolved, not as well as it could have been, but certainly better than some of my experiences.
A lot of people like BF
Some Dont
Some people appear to have an agenda almost outside is the product good or not.

Any product that has a product on free loan round the country, [did someone say it was flimsy?] or has a trial period with a money back guarantee must be worth a try, and after that you can make an objective decision.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='687191' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:03 PM']It seems a typically British thing to knock the little guy and put down innovation, ideas and enthusiasm. Products from small producers may not be perfect (price / quality etc ) but the products come from a passion and desire to improve and innovate and with time and encouragement the products will improve and come down in price. Otherwise we may all as well just give in now and all you will be able to buy is American branded gear made in the far east by someone who doesn't give a sh*t....[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from, but a customer has a right to expect an acceptable level of customer care if the product proves faulty. This applies if the company in question is a multi national or " a little guy"

Sadly little guys have this simple fact lost on them on occasions. This is not aimed at Alex, as the solution he has offer to this problem is more than acceptable. It's just a general observation.