Why become a member? ×

Barefaced T'Vintage Review.

Shockwave

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='685364' date='Dec 15 2009, 04:20 PM']With respect JTUK, you do seem to pop up with a "hold on there folks" wherever Barefaced is mentioned, so for a guy that claims it makes no difference, you could conceiveably be perceived as actually having an opinion one (obvious) side of the fence.

Not trying to cause friction - just making an observation.

Mark[/quote]

Agree,
...when noobs ask about a cab, they are invariably pointed towards certain cabs. I feel a balance is required.
I think they should get all sorts of opinions to make a choice, google as much as possible.

I am aware that there are quite a few negative opinions on certain aspects of the cabs.
I spoke up so as not to give the impression that there is a blanket endorsement from this site. I hope and feel people will say what they honestly think..for good or bad. This is a commercial product and is fair game despite the maker being a sponsor of this site, IMO.

I just think there needs to be a balance.

I think the OP was right to post this thread. I accept this thread as being a collection of opinions and experiences.
I look forward to the first commercial review.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='685422' date='Dec 15 2009, 05:02 PM']what happened with Ashdown gear on here. IE became the fad and then people start to point out the negatives about it, and eventually people cant stand Ashdown.[/quote]

You keep repeating this statement as if it's a fact. There are a small number of people who bash Ashdown ad nauseum, and many of those haven't even owned any of it.

The vast majority of Ashdown users are perfectly satisfied with it and it is immensely popular. I also don't ever remember there being a "fad" for Ashdown gear.

Unfortunately this whole forum does carry fads, with all different types of equipment.

All it takes is 8-10 peole stating it's amazing, then all of a sudden people want it.

Then, if you try to sell a small brand elsewhere, it grabs 0 attention.

Happens on tbass too. I've tested certain amps that were raved about by the endorsers and I was shocked how much I didn't like it.

Everyone is different and ages with different bands, so tone goals are different, eg the covers guys who are a little more mature might insist on lightweight. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for everyone.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='685594' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:22 PM']You keep repeating this statement as if it's a fact. There are a small number of people who bash Ashdown ad nauseum, and many of those haven't even owned any of it.

The vast majority of Ashdown users are perfectly satisfied with it and it is immensely popular. I also don't ever remember there being a "fad" for Ashdown gear.[/quote]

It was a few years back, might even have been on Bassworld. I do remember it though, and it does happen with all sorts of gear on here. If it's not Ashdown it's EBS or Markbass or Genz Benz or Schroeder etc etc etc. Doesnt mean the gear is bad, just that percieved popularity changes like the seasons.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='685611' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:42 PM']That's true. Although some things seem to escape criticism on here - Aguilar, Epifani and Bergantino spring to mind. Are they as perfect as the reviews suggest or has anyone tried and not liked?[/quote]
A/Bd my Vintage against WoT's Bergs and warwickhunt's Aguilars a few months back. Not a gig situation or anything, so maybe not the ideal test, but neither the Bergs nor the Aggies really did it for me. A little "thin". But I have to agree totally with the point that it's horses for courses. I mean, personally, I can't grasp why someone would want a tweeter in a bass cab, but people do. It's their choice.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='685611' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:42 PM']That's true. Although some things seem to escape criticism on here - Aguilar, Epifani and Bergantino spring to mind. Are they as perfect as the reviews suggest or has anyone tried and not liked?[/quote]

I'd prefer it if my Bergantinos handles were recessed, as they are on the new ones, so my rack would sit on top better. Does that count? :)

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='685611' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:42 PM']some things seem to escape criticism on here - Aguilar, Epifani and Bergantino spring to mind. Are they as perfect as the reviews suggest or has anyone tried and not liked?[/quote]
I wish my Bergs weren't rat fur. They're still the most awsome cabs that ever roamed the earth, though. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='685625' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:54 PM']A/Bd my Vintage against WoT's Bergs and warwickhunt's Aguilars a few months back. Not a gig situation or anything, so maybe not the ideal test, but neither the Bergs nor the Aggies really did it for me. A little "thin". But I have to agree totally with the point that it's horses for courses. I mean, personally, I can't grasp why someone would want a tweeter in a bass cab, but people do. It's their choice.[/quote]
I'll point out too that it wasn't a like-for-like comparison. Bergantino 10s vs Aguilar 12s vs Barefaced 15s (vs The Bass Doc's Fender 2x15). I'd still be very interested in hearing Berg and Aguilar 15s!

I wouldn't be seen dead with a cab called Aguilar, Epifani and Bergantino. They sound like they were designed for guys in dresses.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='685694' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:47 PM']I wouldn't be seen dead with a cab called Aguilar, Epifani and Bergantino. They sound like they were designed for guys in dresses.[/quote]

Absolutely, mine's from Laura Ashley and has a lovely floral print, it sounds wonderful too....

Let me guess, you got yourself a Crate "'cos it sounds dead 'ard" :)

Or are you saving for nice shiny new Big One too?

Edited by 51m0n

IME Berg is perfect.

May not be for you, but for me, definitely.

Cant speak for the rest of your list.

[attachment=38359:P1000428.jpg]Hi all,
newbie here ! received my barefaced compact & t-midget a couple of weeks ago..yes it took longer than intended by alex, but i have to forgive him, the guy answered every enquiry by e-mail very promptly and reassured me that all would be good in the end..i'm glad i waited.
i use a genz benz shuttle 12.0 so i get 2x375 watts @ 8 ohms in a package that weighs about 25 kgs (sorry, not anal enough to actually weigh it !) the whole thing fits into the boot of my saloon car, and is stupidly loud.
i will post more detailed reviews of it soon (maybe on the lightweight thread), but for now all i can say is that this particular combination of amp & cabs is gobsmacking. a variable tweeter on the midget can cut through anything as clear as a bell. the compact still needs more high volume playing to really get as much as it can give, but i will persevere ..
my drummer didn't really take me seriously when he lifted up the compact. he couldn't believe the quality of the sound at volume coming from such a small rig, and he's a seasoned player who's played with some big bands before..
i have no problems with the build quality at all. yes the handles appear a bit flimsy, but the cab weighs f-all anyway.
oh yeah, in case you're wondering why i chose this combination, i like u.s. hardcore punk, drum'n'bass, dubstep, funk and a few more uncategorisables.. the genz on its own is very transparent, so you can struggle to get a dirty sound out of it (tube channel better than f.e.t. channel for grind) but a good combination of pedals blows the sound beautifully. i start with a markbass compressor and a sansamp and continue from there with the freaky noises. anyway enough already.. i'll continue my review when i've had tha chance to compete with 2 loud guitarists instead of just 1 !

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='685661' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:14 PM']And there appears to be suppression of discussion on this forum. Witness the recent bash at Moffat; the reports on other forums make very different reading from what was posted here, and most of the attendee's frequent both forums.[/quote]
Are you there, bigfatbass? Enquiring minds want to know...

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='685813' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:18 PM']Sorry, was watching telly. I dont know. Why were the comments about the moffat bash on finnbass not repeated on this forum by the same posters? You tell me? Maybe people are scared to say the emperor is naked?[/quote]
Uh?

I just wanted to know why you previously suggested that there was a 'supression of discussion' on this forum. What did you mean?

[quote name='chris_b' post='684428' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:21 PM']I don't understand how you could find the Vintage lacking in lows!

I played my Lakland and Thunderfunk through 2 Compacts at the SE Bass Bash and everyone standing within 6 feet had their rib cages vibrating when I hit the lower notes![/quote]
+1. I played my 5-string G&L Tribute through my puny old-school Burman 100W all valve amp and Merton's Vintage at the SE bass bass, and there was plenty of volume, no loss of lows and no question of the low B getting quieter - if anything it got louder.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='685819' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:21 PM']Uh?

I just wanted to know why you previously suggested that there was a 'supression of discussion' on this forum. What did you mean?[/quote]

Certain subjects are off limits and we all know it. I doubt a thread about the Big Beef Chief, Bassthing68 and Bass Ferret would last long, for instance (I'm not intending to stir up those hornets nests again, but I think they're good examples of the point in question).