Why become a member? ×

Barefaced T'Vintage Review.

Shockwave

[quote name='Wil' post='684290' date='Dec 14 2009, 06:38 PM']It is really, really, and I mean really light. I literally watched Rob lift the cab above his head last night. ABOVE HIS HEAD![/quote]
OK, I know the Vintage is light -- I've got one. But ABOVE HIS HEAD? The new ply must have made a [b]serious[/b] difference. Or Rob's been down the gym.

[quote name='Wil' post='684290' date='Dec 14 2009, 06:38 PM']As I heard it in action while at rehearsal, I can attest that is pumped out a reasonable volume with the Ampeg driving it at full whack (not quite as ball shatteringly loud as my old GK Neo 212 and 112 rig, but could be the voicing - to my ears it had a very scooped tone even with the mids on the amp whacked up, but then again, Rob's Pedulla does have the dreaded "mids? what do you mean, mids?" Bart pickups :lol: )[/quote]
I think this has to be the bass, head or something else in the signal chain. IME with the Vintage (no tweeter, but that shouldn't make a difference through the mids), it's the rich, thick mids that make it what it is. I remember propping up the bar with The Bass Doc while WoT was playing a gig through my Vintage, and we kept remarking on the thick fruitiness of the mids. There's even a little peak in the frequency response in the mids (around 1kHz IIRC), which really pushes the bass through the mix, especially on a fretless.

FWIW, I've never thought of the Vintage as flimsy. In fact, I just went and sat on it to reassure myself. Rock solid.

Again FWIW, the sound of the speakers in mine is still "maturing" six months on (although it's not getting as much play as I'd like at the moment, so it's taking its time...). Although there was initially a lot of bottom, my bottom is growing and tightening at the same time. And there aren't many people who can say that. :) No, seriously, it's rounding out and filling up. :rolleyes: Oh, I give up. There's no innuendo-free way for me to talk about the low end. :lol:

[quote name='MythSte' post='684636' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:49 PM']hehe, the new ply is rediculous BEndian, I can one hand it on flat ground. im only 5'9" and not what i'd call on the built side of things![/quote]
I'd still struggle. My legs are so short that standard carrier bags scrape along the ground as I carry them. I sh*t you not. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='684642' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:52 PM']I'd still struggle. My legs are so short that standard carrier bags scrape along the ground as I carry them. I sh*t you not. :)[/quote]

Hehe! thats bad.

On the downside, The last studio i went to, my shuttle/vintage combo was called "gay" for being big, sparkly, but actually very light on its feet...

FWIW, I've spent time with a Compact and a Vintage. Regardless of opinions on how they sound, the handles on both have been fine.

And, whilst they are comically light, IMO I wouldn't say they're flimsy. It's an important distinction to make.

Also, the Vintage chucked out big, fat spades of bottom end.

Rob I'm a big AWS fan and he uses 10s with a stingray and tube amp.

Loads of his tone is oh his ultra aggressive finger style, and bass, but, and no disrespect to anyone, for that classic punk punch you should go for 10s or 12s, IMO they do sound different to me. I've been playing punk for 14 years plus, and I like my orange 1x15, but you need some 10s in there!

I await to be told I'm wrong, but that's life!

Just my 2p here. I have one of the first midgets and I have had no issues with build or performance, thing has already been knocked over and dropped and there are no marks, very solid wee b*gger. I am not doubting Robs probs but just saying don't let it put you off barefaced to much

[quote name='Musicman20' post='684721' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:56 PM']Rob I'm a big AWS fan and he uses 10s with a stingray and tube amp.

Loads of his tone is oh his ultra aggressive finger style, and bass, but, and no disrespect to anyone, for that classic punk punch you should go for 10s or 12s, IMO they do sound different to me. I've been playing punk for 14 years plus, and I like my orange 1x15, but you need some 10s in there!

I await to be told I'm wrong, but that's life![/quote]

I know what Brians rig is and that his tone is from an 8X10 ampeg, i told that to Alex and sent a link to AWS stuff, he said that the 15's would be fine and it makes no difference in speaker size as the 15's are full range. Which is why i went for the Vintage.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='684635' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:46 PM']OK, I know the Vintage is light -- I've got one. But ABOVE HIS HEAD? The new ply must have made a [b]serious[/b] difference. Or Rob's been down the gym.[/quote]

Literally above his head. I kid you not. Owning a flightcased Ampeg head will give anyone strong arms, mind :)

I'd just like to agree with several others that this likely to be a one off situation and I am sure an amicable solution will be reached.

I'd also like to share my experience of the two Compacts that I feel I was lucky enough to wrestle from the grasp of two other BC members. I have found them to be very, very robust and the lack of any real weight means that on a one-cab gig (which is often due to their output) I can walk from car to venue in one journey.

I have not found them lacking in bottom end at all but neither am I noticing any mid-range scoop and although a different model to Rob's I would probably say it's the mids that I love the most about them. I have used them in a rock\metal band, a funk band and a ska band and coupled with my SA450 I have been able to produce the kind of tones needed for all of those styles with no problems.

2x15's in a lightweight box doesn't sound very durable to me but I guess time will tell.
I can understand the point of a single 15" box for being dead easy to chuck in the back of the car for quick sprint gigs, but if you need 2x15 volume, you will need to be prepared to lug it around.... just my POV but there you go.

These are not cheap cabs IMO, and these problems should have been ironed out long ago.
It isn't that there are problems in a production run, or if there are sound issues, it is just that
the price is more akin to a pro-cab and some of these models can look very basic.

For all the views and endorements here, I'll prefer to wait until they have done the rounds and you see more of them about.

I guess it depends if you think that the price is acceptable for some try-out ideas, IMO.

Just so you know, I have always had reservations about these types of cabs but I wouldn't wish anyone to think they have wasted their money.
I think the full return/refund idea is generous and gracious and credit is due there.

For me, these cabs need to have a good few months of hard gigging to get a better picture. I know people are going to say that their cabs have done well so far, but for the money, these cabs need to last and be bombproof over a a few years.

When that happens, I'll reform an opinion...

[quote name='JTUK' post='684817' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:59 AM']For me, these cabs need to have a good few months of hard gigging to get a better picture. I know people are going to say that their cabs have done well so far, but for the money, these cabs need to last and be bombproof over a a few years.[/quote]

Surely though, my take on this is if I had the money to buy one of these, I would be in the frame of mind that I was paying more of a premium because they have been made so light, to save my back, whilst still doing their best to give the best audio possible?

If they then turned out to be bombproof, then even better. I'm not so sure I would expect that of something so light as well.

However, I have had a go of a "Big One" (I believe it was) thanks to Merton letting me have a shot when he was trying an early model out for Alex.

Due to the neighbours, this was at low volumes (when I would expect it to be at it most middly with not much low end). However, it had a lovely warm tone that I like.

I agree the construction looked bit "homemade", but the finish on the one in Alex's avatar looks really nice to me.

If I had the spare cash, I reckon I'd plump for one of these, knowing that I'd have a few more years with a little less back pain than I would get from other cabs!

If I had shedloads of cash and my own tech to hump my gear around, then I would probably look elsewhere!

Just my humble opinion of course....

[quote name='JTUK' post='684817' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:59 AM']....2x15's in a lightweight box doesn't sound very durable to me but I guess time will tell.... When that happens, I'll reform an opinion....[/quote]
So the glass is half empty until someone else proves it's really half full?

In my experience heavy gear will get thrown around and damaged more frequently due to its weight. What do you do to your cabs that 100 gigs will prove and 1 gig won't? I don't use roadies any more (they can destroy even an Ampeg fridge!), carry all my own gear and I look after it.

I’ve seen Barefaced cabs up close and they don’t look flimsy to me. They certainly are not as delicate as the amps and basses we all use and they survive life "on the road". Don't they?

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='684845' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:05 AM']....You seem to have a lot to say about Bare Faced but dont actually use them. Whats that about? Just curious....[/quote]
I'm saving up for one right now!

Edit: And I'm intending to replace my 410 with the Compact.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='684845' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:05 AM']....You seem to have a lot to say about Bare Faced but dont actually use them. Whats that about? Just curious....[/quote]
I'm a fan of a lot of good gear that, sadly, I don't own!

[quote name='chris_b' post='684852' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:14 AM']....

In my experience heavy gear will get thrown around and damaged more frequently due to its weight. What do you do to your cabs that 100 gigs will prove and 1 gig won't? I don't use roadies any more (they can destroy even an Ampeg fridge!), carry all my own gear and I look after it.

I’ve seen Barefaced cabs up close and they don’t look flimsy to me. They certainly are not as delicate as the amps and basses we all use and they survive life "on the road". Don't they?[/quote]

Not sure you are really serious about 1 gig being a decent testing ground for durability against 100... but if you are, then fine.

As I said before, time will tell whether these have staying power but it makes no difference to me anyway. I wouldn't be in the market.
I have no axe to grind as such, I am just wary of the hype/enthusiasm here.

If it works for the people who buy them, then good on all concerned.

[quote name='Toasted' post='684929' date='Dec 15 2009, 10:40 AM']When you look at the cabs you can buy in the £700-£900 category you can buy some really high quality gear. At £825 this Barefaced is competing in the Premier League of bass cabs, and you shouldn't have to make compromises - like it being too flimsy, or being bass-shy.[/quote]
+1 at that price it is playing with the big boys

My experience is limited - I only had the loaner Compact for a few days. But my observation is that it is too easy to associate light weight with being "flimsy"...we are used to cabs being heavy and most of us older buggers probably associate that with "quality". Ten years ago I would have avoided a cab that was fairly light, because it would've been made out of crap chipboard, with crap drivers and probably a crap design to go with it. My current Euphonic Audio cabs sound very good, are pretty small but are not very light.

But this is changing. The ply that is used in the Compact does look very thin. It is thin..but its designed and constructed by someone who is interested in developing and producing a good speaker cabinet.

My first impression of the Compact was "incredibly light for 1x15..must be made of cardboard...and sound rubbish". I was wrong, and could happily gig one for virtually everything I do.

[quote name='Toasted' post='685039' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:17 PM']What other cabs have you compared your Big One, mildmanofrock?[/quote]

I've played the Ampeg 410hlf against the Big One, - the Big One is far superior to my ears - no mud. I've also played through a Bergantino nv412 and Aguilar db410 but not directly compared at the same time. While good, none of them have given me the clarity, punch and ability to hear every nuance of my bass.