Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fender road worn 60's Jazz bass

MattCvijan

Funny how the Squier CV Jazz keeps rearing it's cheap little head, isn't it? These lovely Jazzes really are just about the best product in the Fender lineup at the moment. Phenomenal value for money & awesome sound. As I said in another post, with the Chinese quality being this good, the Mexican plant may as well down tools! :)

[quote name='Moos3h' post='682883' date='Dec 13 2009, 10:36 PM']I'll probably get taken outside for saying this but:

If you haven't, try a Squier Classic Vibe first. All I'm saying is try one.

I did, I went to Machinehead Music with a clear credit card and tried every Jazz bass they had (which was, from memory 5-6). The roadworn wasn't one of them. I objectively played them head to head through a good amp and made my mind up almost instantly when I picked up the Squier.

I've owned one of these in the past and stupidly sold it, I've got this one from Machinehead and I have another on the way to me.

They won't be for everyone, and some people won't be able to get past the name on the headstock, but all I am saying is that EVERYONE in the market for a Jazz of any kind should at least try one!

Cheers,
James[/quote]

Yeah,..taken outside for a pat on the back mate.
Good comment. ("[size=2][i]some people won't be able to get past the name on the headstock[/i][/size]")
That's just about it isn't it,.....the name on the headstock.....if its not a ****** , then its not a real guitar. !!
Thanks for that James,...makes me feel,.."I'm not alone

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='683755' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:33 AM']Funny how the Squier CV Jazz keeps rearing it's cheap little head, isn't it? These lovely Jazzes really are just about the best product in the Fender lineup at the moment. Phenomenal value for money & awesome sound. As I said in another post, with the Chinese quality being this good, the Mexican plant may as well down tools! :)[/quote]

Agreed. Funny you say that I've just bought a niiiiiice Squier CV P-bass1950's made in China, which I needed as a beater, simple: one pickup, one vol one tone, 4 strings

Well I'll have to say, after I've set up the action, the neck which was a little too bowed and the saddles that needed setting in tune and height this bass rocks, I have just got it this morning and having a lazy day off I have found it difficult ot put it down. Soundwise and playabilty mean that as it is noithing else need to be done to this bass except I need to find a way to have it grounded a bit better because when you remove your hands from anything metallic, i.e. the strings, the bridge and the control plate, it give a bit of a buzz, but I just know the man who can sort that out for me.

Here it is: (note: after the pic was taken, the silly sticker and the useless thumb rest below the strings have been removed)

Edited by bass5

• 4 weeks later...

any idea on what the resale value on these would be?

looks like i'm gonna be doing a lot more corporate gigs with a jazz/pop quintet over the next year or so... the rick doesn't really suit sound wise, the 6 string is overkill most of the time, and i'm looking for something more passive and old school than the stingray.

i've saved up enough cash from the last few years gigs to buy a 70s jazz, but i'm really worried about theft, damage in transportation and reliability. to be honest i'd probably never play it.

so a newer jazz makes more sense - but i really dig the relic on the 70s jazzes.

so this leads me to the fender road worn fellas. however i don't wanna spent some £800 on a bass that i would struggle to sell for £450 in a couple of years.

so how much do you think these will depreciate?

[quote name='Tech' post='713083' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:24 PM']any idea on what the resale value on these would be?

so how much do you think these will depreciate?[/quote]

Good question! I think it all depends on how long they produce these for and how many are in circulation - if they stop making them in 6 months time and there's not many around and people suddenly start clamouring for them, then they might well hold their value nicely or indeed increase in value, who knows?! I recall being a tender young bassist in the early '80s when the Squier JVs were mainstream - no one back then could have predicted their current resale price - if only I'd bought 30 of them back then!!! I'm very close to going for a fiesta red Jazz....

Mystic Smith

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Buzz' post='682435' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:55 PM']£899 for a MIM?

For that price you'd get a current '09 MIA. Granted, it wouldn't have the relic job, but it would be a better bass and also hold it's value more.[/quote]

I prefer them to any MIA I've played; I even prefer them to the Custom Shop Relics (athough they're not [i]quite[/i] as tasty looking). The ones I recently tried were pretty much on a par with the real 60s basses I've played.

Oh, and they're nitro finished.

Edited by 4000

I grabbed a 50's RW Precision a few months back- did some research, found one at a good $$$ & I LOVE it. AFAIK it differs to the reg MIM basses in a few areas. IIRC- the Pups were wound differently-more to the specs of a 50's P. The Bridge has hollow saddles like the early one......etc.. Can't remember the other things. BUT.....It feels, sounds & plays like a dream. I sold my '06 MIA S1 jazz for it- after I got the P. The MIA jazz never really did it 4 me. I've recently played a CV 60's jazz & IT did it for me FAR more.
AFAIK & As far as I've beeen informed- the STANDARD MIM's are what they are, but the 'higher range' MIM's are in a diff. class altogether!! I own a Reggie Hamilton Sig STD jazz & ITS one of my faves ever. WAAY better than the MIA jazz I had, & Its a MIM also. I don't care WHERE they're made as long as they DO what they're s'posed to do. & the RW series seem to do just that really well