Why become a member? ×

bass stack or just buy a Laney RB7

colda

My rack 'head' consists of a Behringer V-Amp, a Behringer compressor/noise gate and a 600W (2 x 200W into 8 ohm) power amp

I have a Laney RBC115 and am looking for a Laney RBC210 (or poss. RBC410 8ohm) to complete the stack but alas finding the correct cab is proving difficult.

My mind has now started drifting towards selling the rack and simply getting an RB7 (2x10 300W combo thing) and just using the 1x15 as an extention cab

Financially this would not make any notable difference and as I'm not using the effects on the V-amp and the cab simulation lives on 'tube pre-amp' it seems that the biggest thing that I'm going to lose by doing this is the joy of flashing lights

Has anyone else 'gone back' from using a rack/stack setup?

Will I regret it if I do?

[quote name='colda' post='74981' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:06 AM']My rack 'head' consists of a Behringer V-Amp, a Behringer compressor/noise gate and a 600W (2 x 200W into 8 ohm) power amp

I have a Laney RBC115 and am looking for a Laney RBC210 (or poss. RBC410 8ohm) to complete the stack but alas finding the correct cab is proving difficult.

My mind has now started drifting towards selling the rack and simply getting an RB7 (2x10 300W combo thing) and just using the 1x15 as an extention cab

Financially this would not make any notable difference and as I'm not using the effects on the V-amp and the cab simulation lives on 'tube pre-amp' it seems that the biggest thing that I'm going to lose by doing this is the joy of flashing lights

Has anyone else 'gone back' from using a rack/stack setup?

Will I regret it if I do?[/quote]

I can't comment on the Laney, but plenty of people on here are using combos for portability, if nothing else. I use a Workingman 15 for just that reason, and although it sounds nothing like my Trace VA350 and 4x12, it was never intended to and it gets the job done.

I don't think it's a backwards step going from a stack to a combo - I'd love an Ampeg B15n, which a lot of people reckon creates some of the finest bass tones available.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='75067' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:14 PM']+1 for the ampeg B15 - a legendary peice of kit. Combo's dont have to be cheap and there are some good options out there like Eden Metro and SWR Redhead.

Laney is cheap junk whether its a head/stack or combo so I would be inclined to wait until you can get something better.[/quote]

Hmmm, budget is limited so the really sweet stuff will have to wait a while, I've also been offered a Trace Elliot GP7 Series 6 1x15 combo with 1x15 extention cab for a very good price - would this be a better option?

[quote name='colda' post='75082' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:55 PM']Hmmm, budget is limited so the really sweet stuff will have to wait a while, I've also been offered a Trace Elliot GP7 Series 6 1x15 combo with 1x15 extention cab for a very good price - would this be a better option?[/quote]....................The series 6 or earlier were to me, the best Trace gear made; however, be sure that you can use an extension cab as they were often fitted with a 4ohm speaker [as is mine]..Good luck

[quote name='colda' post='75082' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:55 PM']Hmmm, budget is limited so the really sweet stuff will have to wait a while, I've also been offered a Trace Elliot GP7 Series 6 1x15 combo with 1x15 extention cab for a very good price - would this be a better option?[/quote]
Abso-f***in-lutely

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='75253' date='Oct 16 2007, 08:34 PM']Abso-f***in-lutely[/quote]

okies - wheels are in motion towards getting the TE stuff, to be honest I was gonna buy this rig in the first place but then got posessed by the idea that I need to have 10" speakers

now to photograph my stuff and sell so I can afford it :)

thanks for puttin' my mind right :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Got the TE GP7 Series 6 yesterday (1x15 combo with a 1x15 extention cab) for a bit over £200 (very pleased), it's seen some action in it's time but works perfectly - am rather happy :)

I've kinda overstepped the mark and as I now too much bass amp kit (4 rigs) so guess that I'm going to have to sell some stuff (something I seem to find very hard to do) and buy the missus a new ride or something.

I suppose the first thing that'll have to go is my Laney RBC115 - will list it as soon as I've got some photos

Oh wow - have seen (well heard) the light (hmmm...does that work?)!

Used the TE at rehearsals last night and what a difference - really didn't appreciate what a difference it could make! (up till now was mainly using a Cobra 90 combo for rehearsals)

Sooooo happy that I made the 'right' choice! - thanks again for the advice :)

D