Why become a member? ×

Funk and Groove

Pete Academy

So anyone make it to see Lady T at Indigo 2 on Saturday?

She still has the groove - I felt the set fell apart a bit towards the end but she really rocked for most of the evening. The only YouTube vids I've seen so far have pretty awful sound quality.

Funky bass man on an NS5XL - no apparent on stage speakers that i could see, working entirely from in-ears.

I loved her versions of Rick James classics - here's a vid from last year which shows one of them & the song that made the whole house jump on Saturday - I Need your Lovin

And now we have Larry Graham coming over as well!

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75820

Edited by Dad3353

Couldn't find You tube link to original of "Florida Room" from Donald Fagan's Kamakiriad album. But check it out on spotify, or WHY. Understated beautiful groove.

It's my fav album for driving.

Not one for those who like lots of notes, but listen to it and let your neck do the rest.

I'm fairly certain it grooves well, but I get distracted by her incredible stage presence. She's too cool, and of course, so very beautiful.

It sure does - pure class being able to make something so slow and empty groove like that. Great post.

Edited by Dad3353

I was reminded today of Dot Funk's encore at the Jazz Cafe the other week. It started out as this song before turning into an epic jam:

Prince is the man. As are John Blackwell, Maceo, but not Sheila E and Rhonda Smith. Only biologically speaking of course - they're still very, very BADASS.

From the PC game 'Interstate '76' - I've always loved this little intro

Yeh, that theme is sooo 70's, it's perfect.
I must admit it did also put me in mind of 70's cop show 'The Streets Of San Francisco'.
Just listen to the bass playing on that puppy!
(sorry, the narration overdub is in there too, though does add to the nostalgic value... :) )
Unfortunately, embedding for this one is disabled, but it's the best sound quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRaB1aJ_Adw

Edited by Dad3353

Yeh, that theme is sooo 70's, it's perfect.

I must admit it did also put me in mind of 70's cop show 'The Streets Of San Francisco'.
Just listen to the bass playing on that puppy!

Alot of cop-related theme tunes from the '70s were funky as hell. I always liked the 'Dirty Harry' theme - some quite mad bass playing there! Perhaps Starsky & Hutch too... Edited by Dad3353

Some great tunes in this thread!
When I did was in that Brit Funk special article for Bass Guitar Magazine I had to name my top 3 funk tracks. I went for:

Mr Magic - Grover Washington Jr
Night Time in the Switching Yard - Warren Zevon
It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to me - Barry White

Hard to pick 3 though. I ended up making a Spotify playlist of some of the contenders:

http://open.spotify.com/user/andrewmckinne...toFqBBlouB4bIsI

Andrew

P.S. That Warren Zevon track contains what I consider to be the funkiest bass fill in the world ever! It's at 03:51, but you really have to have listened to the track from the start to get the full effect. P-Bass heaven!

Edited by Dad3353

Not seen this version before...genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz03O1dwnSQ

Was watching this a couple of weeks ago - Victor is an amazing musician.

EDIT: I've been going through a Wooten appreciation period. Often people just see the bass pyrotechnics but the guys can really groove as well. Actually he can do it all. Edited by Dad3353