Why become a member? ×

Funk and Groove

Pete Academy

Don't think anyone's posted this before - amazing bunch of muso's - backed Paul Simon on one of my all time favourite albums - this is one of those where you just feel the amount of enjoyment the band are getting from it and you want to be part of it!

Sorry, where's the info about youtube postings?

Found It :)

Edited by Mykesbass

Don't think anyone's posted this before - amazing bunch of muso's - backed Paul Simon on one of my all time favourite albums - this is one of those where you just feel the amount of enjoyment the band are getting from it and you want to be part of it!

Sorry, where's the info about youtube postings?

Found It :)

Love this. Completely sums up the thread topic. Edited by Dad3353

Great list molan.....Boogie Oogie great one to play too

some proper London funk...LOTW...sadly the bass player died a few years back....

.....there is a tab of London Town kicking around, great fun to play and soooo smoooooth....

Edited by iconic

Great list molan.....Boogie Oogie great one to play too

some proper London funk...LOTW...sadly the bass player died a few years back....

.....there is a tab of London Town kicking around, great fun to play and soooo smoooooth....

Looks like they've still got it! New album - the first track on Myspace has got a really nice feel!

http://www.myspace.com/lightoftheworldmusic Edited by Dad3353

'East River' by the Brecker Brothers. Truly awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7l1zjp_wb4

I actually thought of 'East River' while on this thread last week but got so distracted with other tracks, I totally forgot. Honest, guv! :)
Anyway, just to say, it's one of my all-time fave funk tracks. Yeah - Heavy Metal Be-Bop... :rolleyes:

Along with East River, I was also going to post some Joe Hubbard and others.

Joe Hubbard - Can't Find The Time

Joe Hubbard - Auspicious Time

Ronnie Laws - Always There (couldn't see if this had already been posted).
(So many other versions of this tune: e.g. Willie Bobo's is a good 'un)

B Baker & The Chocolate Company - Snowblower

...and finally...

Norman Connors - Black Cow
Edited by Dad3353

Saw Joe Hubbard demoing the Peavey midi bass at the COncorde in Brighton in the early 90's, really nioce fella, and a tip top player.

Mind you wouldnt want to spill his pint....

Joe Hubbard's Day Job

Yeah, and he sings too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6tovWYBNE :) Edited by Dad3353

I also bought the 'Very Best of Tower of Power' and I gotta admit... not that fussed about the rest of their repertoire. I really love 'What is Hip?', but very few others have that level of an infectious groove. The rest of the tracks feel very cheesy... Disappointed.

I also bought the 'Very Best of Tower of Power' and I gotta admit... not that fussed about the rest of their repertoire. I really love 'What is Hip?', but very few others have that level of an infectious groove. The rest of the tracks feel very cheesy... Disappointed.

Sounds like you need Spotify or GrooveShark to check these things out before shelling out...

I find ToP studio stuff a bit lacking (and lacking space in the bass :)) but the live stuff has huge amount of excitement.
Soul Vaccination live is crackin'
http://open.spotify.com/album/3isAHpwMn35WtDIl4gfjV0

Edited by Dad3353

I use iTunes and check out 30 sec samples before buying. Sometimes I'll find a few tracks I like and am willing to pay for, I'll then buy the whole album. My logic is that if I like more than a few songs, then I'll like or learn to like the rest of the album. It's just a bit disappointing considering how awesome a few of their songs are.

On the topic of studio stuff, I like the Lettuce material, but am not that keen or impressed with the production on Outta Here. Everything feels a bit subdued and quiet.

Kid Creole & The Coconuts. I saw them in '82 in London at The Lyceum Ballroom. I was out of breath just watchin' em! :)
The live videos don't really do the shows justice. As they say - you had to be there...!

[b]Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Live Cologne 1982 - Table Manners[/b]

[b]Kid Creole and the Coconuts - I'm A Wonderful Thing Baby[/b]

This is more recent and with a full orchestra.
(Don't miss the one and only glimpse of the 6-string single-cut bass around 4:15.
Not sure which one it is, if someone could enlighten me? W&T? ACG? Nice tone!)
[b]Kid Creole And The Coconuts - Stool Pigeon - Holland 2007[/b]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_4eLPUrK4k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_4eLPUrK4k[/url]
(Embedding disabled by request - view on Youtube)

Just drove home and Trevor Nelson on Radio Two played this:

followed by this:

Always loved that period of Crusaders on their own, with Randy Crawford, BB King etc, but this sounded particularly nice tonight. The Esther Phillips version of this Gil Scott Heron track is a new one on me - a very funky discovery.

Must try and catch Mr Nelson more often.

Kid Creole & The Coconuts. I saw them in '82 in London at The Lyceum Ballroom. I was out of breath just watchin' em!

:)
The live videos don't really do the shows justice. As they say - you had to be there...!

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Live Cologne 1982 - Table Manners

Kid Creole and the Coconuts - I'm A Wonderful Thing Baby

This is more recent and with a full orchestra.
(Don't miss the one and only glimpse of the 6-string single-cut bass around 4:15.
Not sure which one it is, if someone could enlighten me? W&T? ACG? Nice tone!)
Kid Creole And The Coconuts - Stool Pigeon - Holland 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_4eLPUrK4k
(Embedding disabled by request - view on Youtube)

Love this. Great post! Edited by Dad3353

Love the Esther Phillips dude,thanks for turning me on to that one.

:)

I'll throw this one into the mix
tune

I can't seem to embed it as the tag is massive but it's well worth a clicky to listen.
Gil Scot-Heron at his finest :rolleyes:

Nice - quite a different vibe from what I'm more used to - The Bottle, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised etc, almost got a (and I use this term respectfully) pop leaning to it.

Thanks for posting. Edited by Dad3353