Why become a member? ×

Newcastle upon Tyne area

smileegee

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='685358' date='Dec 15 2009, 04:15 PM']Ha ha, the shop in High Bridge Street! I remember often trying to look through the window whilst on my way back to Worswick Street for the bus home![/quote]

We must be going back some years now if buses used to run on Worswick street! Now there is bugger all there except the office for NODA taxis, a closed down "Smokey Joe" style pawn shop and a couple of closed down takeaways! And High Bridge has bugger all on it now too, escept for a tattoo parlour and a few people using it as a toilet on a friday and saturday night! Only metres away from the 24hr Bigg Market bogs!

I have to say that Windows is terrible these days and as far as I can remember, it has never been any good. However, it has always been the "new" Windows too me. That is, crappy guitars and basses of the least reputable names, that are hideously overpriced. That, and crappy practice amps, and staff who know nothing about what they're selling. I wouldn't spend a penny there simply just because there are simply better places, and it does seem to be frequented by "first time buyers", who I really think could find better stuff at Sounds Live! The other Windows store at the Metro Centre is naff too, which is a shame.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='685731' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:20 PM']Yeah, Sounds Live deserve a good mention - it's owned and run by two bass players (allegedly).[/quote]

Well, there is the ginger bloke who works there, with the goatee, I remember him telling me he was a bassist with a custom bass a couple of years ago. Presumably a left handed custom bass, since he is a lefty player! They often have the better selection of basses in the toon, especially since Sound Control with it's Spector collection closed down!

Got my first bass from Paul Garvey. Horrible short scale Sattelite thing - but it was cheap (£44). He had this little unit in the Haymarket next to the Farmers rest over the road from the Percy Arms - before he moved to Eldon Square. (I believe he was a drummer :) ).

Windows was quite good for stock once upon a time - but never the friendliest. Got my first decent bass there - a white P fretless from an unsmiliing chap that resembled Lurch. Rock City was probably the best shop - I think owned by the afore-mentioned Tommy and John who have Sounds Live now.

[quote name='JD1' post='686617' date='Dec 16 2009, 06:13 PM']Rock City was probably the best shop - I think owned by the afore-mentioned Tommy and John who have Sounds Live now.[/quote]

Tom and John do indeed own Sounds Live but just for the record Rock City was owned by Bill White (remember White Amps?) originally based in Sunderland. Tom and John worked for Bill until the demise of Rock City and then set up on their own as Sounds Live.

Yes Doc - I remember Tommy and John working there don't know why I thought they owned it.

I certainly do remember White amps. They came out with these black and red bass heads with a graphic - sounded great. I think everyone had them. Not sure how reliable they were though - certainly don't see many about now!

Rock City - banged my head every time going into the used guitars bit.
Jeavons - first bass Hagstrom £35,no deposit,no guarantor,supplied name and address,paid weekly.
Paul Garvey - Hondo Rick copy,Aria ZZ
Sound Control - F.A.
Mckays - like wow,far out man,Ibanez Musician Fretless.
Howards Bass Place - Sould my soul.......Or bought it..........Allegedly,almost every good bass i owned was either bought,built or traded there.
Windows - F.A.

Any other shops ?

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='686746' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:07 PM']Rock City - banged my head every time going into the used guitars bit.
Jeavons - first bass Hagstrom £35,no deposit,no guarantor,supplied name and address,paid weekly.
Paul Garvey - Hondo Rick copy,Aria ZZ
Sound Control - F.A.
Mckays - like wow,far out man,Ibanez Musician Fretless.
Howards Bass Place - Sould my soul.......Or bought it..........Allegedly,almost every good bass i owned was either bought,built or traded there.
Windows - F.A.

Any other shops ?[/quote]

I went past a place called Air Guitars in a taxi earlier today. Couldn't tell you where, as I don't know Newcastle well, but I was going from Jury's Inn to the Airport. Didn't stop to have a look though.

[quote name='chrisba' post='687531' date='Dec 17 2009, 05:24 PM']I went past a place called Air Guitars in a taxi earlier today. Couldn't tell you where, as I don't know Newcastle well, but I was going from Jury's Inn to the Airport. Didn't stop to have a look though.[/quote]

Air Guitars is the former Sound Control, and before that Rock City, shop. There wasn't much decent bass gear in the last time I visited.

Selective (i.e. Newcastle based) history of my bass guitar buying:

[b]Howards![/b] - Not so much a bass buying experience but he replaced the pickups and electronics in my Trace Elliot T-Bass with Seymour Duncan J (neck) and MM (Bridge). If it wasn't for my Ric's it would be my number one best sounding bass. Cheers mate! Nearly bought a Marshall head and cab too but we couldn't get the cab in the back of my car. Did later on buy a Trace 4x10 and 1x15. Great cabs but my back refuses to speak to me now...really should get round to selling them!
[b]Grott[/b] - bought my 1st ever bass (Jedson LP copy, short scale) and bedroom practice amp there in about '92/3
Can't remember the name of the shop in the Metrocentre (was just down from the Meditteranean Village, on the corner) where I bought my 2nd bass (Hohner headless passive jobby)
[b]Sounds Live[/b] - Tanglewood Curbow 4, later traded for the 5er version there
[b]Sound Control[/b] - Ric 4003, Epi EB3, Vintage fretless, cheap Peavey guitar
[b]Windows[/b] (dreadful shop) - Peavey of some description. Got my money back (to their credit they were good about that, it was later experiences in there changed my opinion) because the neck was v.poorly made

Regards,
Steve.

Edited by stevebasshead

[quote name='YouMa' post='685985' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:07 AM']well i was happy.[/quote]

To clarify, and be honest, the stuff I got from Grotts was probably "the cheapest item in the shop" rather than something decent they might have had.

My first drum kit was adorned with the name "California", but I wasn't thinking of the sun of LA when I was having to tighten all the lugs with pliers because they couldn't handle the weight of the drums!

[quote name='chrisba' post='687531' date='Dec 17 2009, 05:24 PM']I went past a place called Air Guitars in a taxi earlier today. Couldn't tell you where, as I don't know Newcastle well, but I was going from Jury's Inn to the Airport. Didn't stop to have a look though.[/quote]

That'll be on Moseley Street, and if you were going to the airport you'll have most likely travelled over Swan House roundabout and onto the central motorway and away!

I was in there just a couple of days ago, the blokes who run it are alright but the stock is usually terrible. In McKays you'll find the occasional cool item, but really I just go in to see the owner. He's a bloke called Doug, absolutely fantastic. Hell of a guitarist too!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='688893' date='Dec 19 2009, 09:47 AM']Wasn't there a "Dave the Hippy" who used to do some awesome little bluesy guitar sets down at the Jazz Cafe? Same Hippy?[/quote]

You may be thinking of Gypsy Dave - he's still around as far as I know.

The other Dave from McKay's was the spit of Neil from the Young Ones.