Why become a member? ×

One speaker solution

barneyg42

I'm currently running the rig below in my profile. I mainly just use the 1x15 on it's own and it stands up well against my band. Now, if I was to get say £300 together what options would I have in the lightweight 4 ohm cab range? I like the bottom end of the 15 but still need a bit of punch ( which the Ashdown has) so I'm also not sure what speaker configuration would still give me that sound if not using a 15.

ETA... as the description above says.......lightweight! The old back don't get any better. Am I being a bit optimistic pricewise?

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='JD1' post='675466' date='Dec 6 2009, 09:54 AM']You would need to stretch your budget, but a s/h Epifani UL310 is a great one cab solution. Really punchy and a one hand carry. Not quite 4ohm but not far off.[/quote]
Hmm, yeah looking at £500+ by the looks of it. Bit of a stretch. GAS is a bad thing. Looking at a diary load of gigs coming in for next year so need to lighten things up. Reviews say its the dogs doodaas!

It's good that you've set some parameters (budget, impedance) and I suggest you now make a decision on maximum weight. You are then in a position to monitor the Basschat For Sale threads until something is posted that meets your criteria.

By buying a used cab you can always sell it for what you paid if it doesn't suit you.

You might find that a nice 4 ohm Schroeder.

If you were to move on one of the Ashdown cabs you'd be able to stretch to an EBS Neo 2x12 , which seem to go through this forum occasionally around the £400 mark. I have one of these, Kiwi has 2 and we both rate them very highly - loads of bass, plenty of punch with a slight mid-scoop which you could EQ back in. Weight is 24Kgs which is an easy one-hand lift for most people.

I'd recommend one of Mike Walsh's Purple Chili PCB112's, which is loaded with a Celestion 'Green label' neo driver as standard, rates at 300w and can be ordered in a 4ohn version. Treat the lukewarm-ish review in this month's BGM lightly. The cab weighs in at 12.7kg - 28lbs in old money - and is criticised for not feeling rock solid. That amounts to critcising a lightweight cab for being, er, lightweight! FWIW, it [i]looks [/i]rock solid and - as far as I am concerned - is about the nicest looking cab out there. I know this shouldn't be a consideration but - let's face it - are there any of us who really don't care what our gear looks like as well as sounds like? Sounds-wise, I've only had it at home practice levels so far but it sounds clean, tight and punchy and has more bass than the Barefaced Compact I also had. The cabinet construction also looks more robust than the Compact and is made from thicker material, which gives it a bulkier appearance - which is not to criticize the BfC so much as point out there are are more ways to skin a cat... It's almost unbelievable the difference between what it looks like and what it weighs - in a good way! These are retailing at about £340 I think. [url="http://www.purple-chili.com/"]http://www.purple-chili.com/[/url]

I'm waiting for a second one as I wouldn't expect any single cab to really handle louder gigs effectively - there's several people already running two Barefaced Compacts in a rig, for example, for this very reason. The Purple Chili doesn't claim to be a total single cab solution but I can't imagine you needing more than the one for rehearsals and anything up to medium-sized gigs. Definitley worth an audition. There's not that many about so you're welcome to try mine out if you want - I'm not on commission, btw, I just think that the BGM review might put some people off what is an excellent cab on the basis of them appearing to apply unfair criteria to it in their assessment. It's light, it's loud (enough), it's sounds great, it looks great and - it's British!

Pip pip!

Here you go

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61383&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61383&st=0[/url]

the SWR 2x10 plus

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?pricematch=YES&product=EMIDLIT2510"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?pricem...uct=EMIDLIT2510[/url]

at either 8 or 16 ohms
to give you that 4 or 8 ohm cab @ 500watts for about £320 quid less whatver you can get for the incumbent 10's

I did this to my Goliath jnr lll and it is a great cab now..

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='675792' date='Dec 6 2009, 03:41 PM']...I wouldn't expect any single cab to really handle louder gigs effectively - there's several people already running two Barefaced Compacts in a rig, for example, for this very reason.[/quote]

Depends on how loud you're talking - and also on how powerful your amp is. The vast majority of Compact owners are using a single cab as with the right amp it'll play as loud as most 4x10"s and 2x12"s. A pair is SVT/810 loud.

Alex

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='679729' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:29 PM']Dont you mean: The vast majority of Compact owners are using a single cab as with the right amp my cab modelling software predicts it'll play as loud as most 4x10"s and 2x12"s. My cab modelling software predicts a pair will be SVT/810 loud.[/quote]

I'd have thought Mr Claber has built enough compacts by now to have an idea of how loud they'll go in real life.

I've ordered a Deltalite II, bought some 12mm poplar ply and am going to have a go at a BFM Jack 110 over the Christmas period. Ideally I'll also try the driver in a conventional ported box for comparison. I'll let people know how it performs.

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='681635' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:33 PM']I am sure he has. I am not sure he has played an Ampeg SVT/8x10 in real life :)[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70017&view=findpost&p=679240"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=679240[/url]
(last para)

[quote name='bigfatbass' post='681635' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:33 PM']I am sure he has. I am not sure he has played an Ampeg SVT/8x10 in real life :)

Real life has a habit of mucking up computer models and measurements in acoustically neutral environments. I always gig with 2 basses, 3 if I want to make a pig of myself (fretless, flats, halfs). They all have similar outputs but at real gigs one will be louder than the other, but not always the same one. You cant model that ![/quote]

But if you take that exact argument and apply it to cabs, rather than basses, then you end up saying that you can't make a meaningful comparison between two cabs that isn't specific to a given context. That's not really very useful and it's clearly not true in the majority of cases. I think one of the problems in discussions of these types is the issue of vocabulary. 'Volume' means different things to different people. Perceived volume, which differs depending on so many factors - an individual's hearing across the frequency range, whether a sound is heard in isolation or with others, distortion etc etc. Then there's more easily measurable values like SPL which behave consistently and predictably, and THAT's what an engineer like Alex is talking about. The idea that all this stuff is theoretical is ignoring the fact that published driver parameters are derived from measurement. Assuming a cab is sufficiently stiff and not an awful shape then the cab only really contributes based on it's volume and the port tuning, which govern low frequency extension. And that is accurately predictable. Perceived loudness variations above a couple of hundred Hz or so are going to depend on the driver frequency response curve (e.g. peaks or troughs in key regions for bass guitar) and the dispersion characteristics which as far as I understand are largely governed by the cone diameter and number/spacing arrangement of cones.

The dispersion characteristics of e.g. an 8x10 are going to be quite different from a 2x12. In a way that will cause big differences in perceived volume in different environments, but it is STILL something that can be modelled - this is what loudspeaker systems designers for large PA work do all the time.

Btw I see where Alex says he hasn't gigged an SVT/8x10 on the post linked by EBS. But I'm pretty sure he'll have heard them along with most people who've been to a gig ever! And probably played them, since old forum posts indicate he seemed to spend ages obsessively searching for the Ultimate cab before getting narked off and building one! The real issue with BF cabs is going to be whether the tone of the Eminence drivers suits a particular bass voicing.