Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Usual tonal package from the Nanyo preamp/ pickups - again reminders of why I love these Basses so much. I have an Overwater preamp that I bought with the thought of replacing the existing one - don't think I need to - yes, the Overwater may be a "better" pre but there really isn't anything missing/lacking with the standard one. Clearly no need to swap them over (local luthier is locked down anyway).

Beautiful job. IMHO the one thing missing from the stock pre-amp is an active/passive switch, particularly as you have to remove the cavity cover to change batteries.

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Beautiful job. IMHO the one thing missing from the stock pre-amp is an active/passive switch, particularly as you have to remove the cavity cover to change batteries.

My 465 now has one, it's a feature of the Nordstrand preamp which replaced the long-ago-failed original. I never use it. The batteries last for years.

10 hours ago, pete.young said:

My 465 now has one, it's a feature of the Nordstrand preamp which replaced the long-ago-failed original. I never use it. The batteries last for years.

I've got Glockenklang pre-amps in all my Bass Collections so have the passive option and they have made a massive difference.

Only needed to use it once but it was in a situation where changing the battery would have been a mare to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a double new bass day post !

A stock SB315 which i picked a month or so ago it's a really great bass lovely to play.... I'm pretty sure Steve who sold me the bass is a basschatter and an SB330 which I just received today. It's an absolutely beautiful bass, somewhere along the line the pickups have been swapped for EMGs and what looks like and an EMG BTS system with an additional passive tone pot. It's all been done really tastefully and on first impressions it sounds fantastic.

I was thinking of having one defretted but I don't know they are both so nice.

IMG_4699.thumb.JPG.628fdc3d30307e723033006bddb0aa2a.JPGIMG_5050.thumb.JPG.7573818586c5992dfe5a979429a6c34b.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just put my @Andyjr1515 refurbed 310 back in the rack. I've been practicing with my G&L M2000 recently, it's by no means a bad bass, but after playing the 310 again, the light weight, great tones and the slim neck reminded me how under-rated (even by owners) these are.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

good afternoon, i am hoping that the collective wisdom of this thread can help me identify (and hopefully locate) a bass that a friend of mine sold many years ago, all i have is one slightly fuzzy (and badly doctored) picture.

2046158323_RSbass.thumb.jpg.fdb590f2b3b828a05891a4b87f29abd5.jpg

From reading through this thread I think it might be a 405 in metallic grey/Pewter (we are trying to dig up some more pictures) but the husband of the bassist in question is trying to locate an identical bass to replace the one sold for just 100 quid back when they were skint students (and to slightly offset the through-neck Warwick thumb 5 string that had just been Bought) it was originally bought in the early 90's so we are fairly sure it is a bass collection.

@BassBunny you mentioned a pewter 405  many pages back, am i on the right lines?

does anyone have one that they would be prepared to part with?

any leads gratefully received!

Matt

58 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Yep. Still got it as well. Must admit I haven't seen many in that colour.

That's what I was worried about, well if you ever decide to part with it send me a message, I can promise it will be going to a very good home! 

Matt 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the full eBay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184734810408?hash=item2b030d8128:g:CAIAAOSwjAxgYwJa

This Japanese Bass Collection instrument is a very good professional instrument that has been professionally modded with upgrades to make it even a better instrument.

The neck is fantastic with the Ebony fingerboard and smooth 3 piece maple with frets in good condition. No nasty buzzing on a low setup that can be played quite easily.

The body is in very good condition as well (few small dings). Beautiful wood grain that stands out!! See photos

**Soft gig bag included in the sale.**

The mods are:

1)Neck ‘Musicman’ style pickup with four way rotary switching (series/parallel dual and front/rear coils). Very versatile with all usable tones. Scratch plate added over original P bass rout.

2)Bridge ‘Jazz’ style pickup. You can blend this in with the various switched options of the Musicman for more zing and clarity in your sound. (think pic or slap styles)

3) Belcat 2 band active preamp (for more EQ flexibility)

4)Extra neck bolts (very stable and rigid if not symmetrical...done properly as extra screws are in metal cups).

Electronic Controls: high quality black metal knobs with

Master Volume, Bass, Treble, Blend, 4 way rotary switch and active/passive switch (important feature).

Tuners: Gotoh black(looks original)

Bridge: good quality (looks like a Schaller).

Side metal jack plate in matching black.

Truss rod cover: does not seem original but adequate covers the routing.

Sound: punchy and smooth with various options as described above. Ebony fingerboard makes for a stiffer neck and good sustain.

Obviously a higher quality pre-amp could make it even better but it’s ready to gig!!

Edited by Happy Jack