Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

41 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Looks like the one I didn't buy... don't know if you can make out the wires from this:

That's the one. I'll try downloading the picture and magnifying it. Thanks a lot. Same colour as well. 🙂

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

@BassBunny

That's the preamp in my BC.

Using your 1st photo and working L-R

Bridge pickup hot. Neck pickup hot, Red to battery clip.Next 3 solder lugs are grounds (mine are pushed together with a big blob of solder covering them). A very fine yellow (2nd in from right) to jack socket.

Far right black to jack socket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

@BassBunny

That's the preamp in my BC.

Using your 1st photo and working L-R

Bridge pickup hot. Neck pickup hot, Red to battery clip.Next 3 solder lugs are grounds (mine are pushed together with a big blob of solder covering them). A very fine yellow (2nd in from right) to jack socket.

Far right black to jack socket.

Absolutely awesome. Thanks a lot. BassChat to the rescue again. 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile, Godlyke Inc. in the US started to sell their Disciple, a clear copy of the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection made of hardwood and equipped with “SGC electronics”, for prices ranging upwards from $825. Quite a long way upwards, in fact.”

A1F06FDD-AA10-45C4-827E-8136C6B6C8D5.thumb.jpeg.8088bd3149de85ba56e6779634acc05d.jpeg5D7DB66A-CBB2-4245-9C21-763F50FDC91A.thumb.jpeg.e83aff15fc3591fd7410f03fa2f7bd53.jpeg3E12E80E-088B-412E-BD6A-35A3EC12E38D.thumb.jpeg.86484a285584695cdf5d9e1d2c46de3d.jpeg

easily the best put together bass I’ve ever owned...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 23/08/2019 at 21:53, AndyTravis said:

Godlyke Disciple - very distant relative of BC.

trying to figure out if built by scg or deviser - hard to know what’s what.

And here's what clearly looks like a Godlyke Disciple that appears to be a Bass Collection. Now even more confused, but SGC Nanyo gets you that way. 🙂

https://reverb.com/item/31155996-bass-collection-sgc-nanyo-4-string-blue-tigrestripe?fbclid=IwAR2raYjTVUcdEZCvTHRqC8lRHTyxQAWjIPhlTE7Ky7YzgjCy9hBjYx7GlKM

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

And here's what clearly looks like a Godlyke Disciple that appears to be a Bass Collection. Now even more confused, but SGC Nanyo gets you that way. 🙂

https://reverb.com/item/31155996-bass-collection-sgc-nanyo-4-string-blue-tigrestripe?fbclid=IwAR2raYjTVUcdEZCvTHRqC8lRHTyxQAWjIPhlTE7Ky7YzgjCy9hBjYx7GlKM

Saw that, nice

I believe the Godlykes were made by Deviser, the Bass Collections by SGC. The two part bridge is the give-away as it's a Deviser design - I was trying to get one for a butchered Bacchus I'm restoring, I thought it was Gotoh but it's actually exclusive to Deviser and I could only get it directly from them.

god_1.jpg

24_1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently purchased what appears to be an SB315 from 2000. One of the cheapest basses I've bought but one of the best. A very fine bass indeed. It's had a deep clean, scrubbed the finger board and oiled it, new strings and a setup. Plays beautifully now.

Interesting to read an earlier comment that said preamps were not always the best. This is very underpowered so that will probably be up for renewal. Earlier poster said he had a Bartolini in on of his. Fancy that for this.

Here's some pics together with my refurbished SB301 which has been shown here before.

image.thumb.png.1516b792296d0dbc6f35069668a7a4c5.png

image.thumb.png.cb95a0fb808bca94534d53a38e9dc28a.png

image.thumb.png.ee5778bfa7fcefaa6cf0704eaf75b4b8.png

image.thumb.png.9cb303f1287247906713eb5db5120027.png

Edited by BassBus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked this up from a very sound gent from Kerry. It is, I believe, a 1991 SB311. I remember seeing these in the shops when I started playing in the late 80’s but, up until today, had never actually played one. First impressions? This is a really nice bass. The neck is quite similar to the early Ibanez SRs but with a wider nut. The pickups have balls to spare and I cannot imagine why they thought the EQ needed a bass boost. I am very impressed. 

74A129B3-650D-4400-B391-EAC8627D64EC.jpeg

• Like 3

On 23/01/2020 at 14:04, BassBus said:

Here's some pics together with my refurbished SB301

Love the fretless, that's the 301 right? I had a BC fretless in around '92 (from The Bass Centre) and it was really good. Traded it there for a Warwick Thumb N/T fretless and a pile of cash... no idea why at all.
Really good basses, fab build quality and materials, nicely 'off the radar' so stupidly good value.

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Love the fretless, that's the 301 right? I had a BC fretless in around '92 (from The Bass Centre) and it was really good. Traded it there for a Warwick Thumb N/T fretless and a pile of cash... no idea why at all.
Really good basses, fab build quality and materials, nicely 'off the radar' so stupidly good value.

It was a 301 but has a new face and gubbins. It growls like you wouldn’t believe with a set of D’Addario Chromes on.

• 3 months later...

So I haven't had a Nanyo on the living room stand for a couple of months. I took mine into work where clients have had access if they want to learn. Lack of interest meant that I decided to bring this home. In the meantime the stand has been occupied by various Fender shaped basses - these have never been my favourite shaped basses.

Uncased the Nanyo this morning - first thing I notice is the (lack of) weight. I can't be rrrsed to checked the weights but the difference is significant.

Balance of the Nanyo is superb - they really did their homework when they first designed these. Sits perfectly on the knee, equally sublime on a strap.

The neck - I remember how playable the necks on the Nanyos are - the profile is sooo right and the finish, courtesy of the work done on the bass by @Andyjr1515, means that I'm playing a paint free neck - the one thing that bugged me when it was painted.

Usual tonal package from the Nanyo preamp/ pickups - again reminders of why I love these Basses so much. I have an Overwater preamp that I bought with the thought of replacing the existing one - don't think I need to - yes, the Overwater may be a "better" pre but there really isn't anything missing/lacking with the standard one. Clearly no need to swap them over (local luthier is locked down anyway).

I'd also forgotten what a "looker" it is - aesthetically my favourite basses...

It's like being reunited with a long lost friend - welcome home...

20190702_181313.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Usual tonal package from the Nanyo preamp/ pickups - again reminders of why I love these Basses so much. I have an Overwater preamp that I bought with the thought of replacing the existing one - don't think I need to - yes, the Overwater may be a "better" pre but there really isn't anything missing/lacking with the standard one. Clearly no need to swap them over (local luthier is locked down anyway).

Beautiful job. IMHO the one thing missing from the stock pre-amp is an active/passive switch, particularly as you have to remove the cavity cover to change batteries.