Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ve been after one since I picked one up for @TheGreek

and @Machines has spotted one in the wild…and picked it up for me.

need 2 sgc knobs as it has some speed ones on

happy though

1FF28366-185D-4093-8103-76B91FF70820.jpeg

In no rush to send it up it sounds great. In fact, might send your money back 👀

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ve been after one since I picked one up for @TheGreek

and @Machines has spotted one in the wild…and picked it up for me.

need 2 sgc knobs as it has some speed ones on

happy though

1FF28366-185D-4093-8103-76B91FF70820.jpeg

I have 4 SGC knobs in a drawer from when I replaced the stock pickups & electronics with EMGs.

Can post them to you if you want them?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I have 4 SGC knobs in a drawer from when I replaced the stock pickups & electronics with EMGs.

Can post them to you if you want them?

Dave

That would be ever so lovely…

I will cover postage and a donation to a Charity of your choice x

• 8 months later...

Picked up a SB315 for peanuts but the cost keeps going up! Absolutely great bass and slightly unusual as it has a transparent finish. I’ve removed the stock pre and installed an Audere which sounds tremendous. The plan being to replace the black hardware with gold but I can’t find a drop in bridge and I am scared of drills! I’m all set for the 80s revival.

830D2136-A771-4024-AD00-8A52DD482910.thumb.jpeg.d12ebf9aed65cd34304153b10ff118b0.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The guy was in Christchurch and I happen to be visiting Salisbury a lot just now, so it wasn't much of a detour to take a look at it. He wanted £110 for it.

Now I know you'll think me naive, but up until this point I'd never realised that such things as Chase Collections even existed. I've never before seen a "cheap Chinese knock-off" of an SGC Nanyo so I was really quite curious, especially since there are frankly very few cr*p basses coming out of China these days.

Apart from the usual screw-up with the string routing at the headstock, other features included a very high action (even for me) despite the saddles sitting flat on the bridge, an odd-looking neck pocket,

425842755_ChassCollection-before(8).thumb.jpg.6ade4c92ff7d1a19af22019690249bbf.jpg

and at least one of the neck screws sitting at a slight angle.

350972312_ChassCollection-before(6).thumb.jpg.9cfb5e115a6e62bf284107aaec3823a9.jpg

The bass felt absolutely fine and played perfectly well (apart from the high action). I'd expected it to be way heavier than a genuine Bass Collection but it weighs 8.25lbs which is very much ballpark for these basses.

So I bought it and brought it home.

Obviously it was in dire need of a setup ... a shim to the pocket-end of the neck, tighten up the sloppy tuners and the loose control knobs, replace the battery in the preamp, re-string properly,

688644758_ChassCollection(4).thumb.jpg.8a73955920d3d6d81ebe8705a287efa1.jpg

and Hey Presto! a very passable bass for £110 plus a little petrol money.

One oddity was those neck screws. When I took the neck off I discovered that the factory had used four identical screws (as you would expect) but the slim-ness of the neck, especially above the 24th fret, meant that the two screws closest to the pickups would have protruded through the fingerboard. You or I might have chosen to substitute two slightly shorter screws to avoid this ... the factory had roughly 'snipped' the last 5mm of each screw to leave a blunt 'point' and gone ahead regardless. 😂