Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

11 hours ago, BreadBin said:

^^ at least the strings are fitted correctly!

Strong price though 🤔

£1500!!!

In all the years this thread has been running, that has to be the most ambitious / optimistic / ludicrous price I've yet seen.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

£1500!!!

In all the years this thread has been running, that has to be the most ambitious / optimistic / ludicrous price I've yet seen.

I hope he gets it - it'll mean the value of my 465 has quadrupled!

The machine head spacing is the same on my 465 - the idea is that the tuning pegs are the same distance apart, and the 'B' machine head is the other way round so that it turns the right way with the string round the wrong side of the peg.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - hope you're all well!!

I'm trying to establish a) the pups in my Bass Collection are original and/or b) they sound as expected. The faces of the covers are so worn even the embossed SGC on the P could have been polished/abraded away).

The most helpful thing in the world EVER to me right now would be a quick'n'dirty recording of another P/J Bass Collection using the P & J pups alternately.  As long as the eq is flat/tone up full and isn't changed when flipping between pickups, I'll know instantly whether mine are right or not.

Ia anyone game and kind enough to help me out here.  You'd be able to rest assured you're helping an old man sleep at night lol.

A million thanks in advance,

Scott

Edited by All thumbs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi peeps! Another one to bring this thread back to the battleground. A little query, but I'd love to put my history on as well, if I may?

I decided to teach myself bass back in '94 while still at school (as I was bored of the electric organ), and bought a Hohner Jack second hand - well, I was still young and impressionable, and loved the retro headless look. While in college I improved my playing, and was working at a local student pub that was also a big music venue. I loved the bands and their gear, and I decided to save up for something decent.

In 1997, I treated myself to a Trace BLX80 (soooo heavy and weird looking!) and an SGC SB310 for £500 each. I love this bass, so light and greatly spaced, and holds its tuning so so well... even if I never change the strings regularly enough! It has seen me through several club bands as well as some jazz stuff, and is starting to show the odd dent and ding in places. Despite all the other basses I've played over the years, this one is a keeper!

Anyway, on to my issues - any advice greatly appreciated!

- I have a long-standing ongoing issue with a low buzz coming through the amp - I've tried other basses and leads, so deduction is it is the bass. Does anyone else have this issue?

- the jack socket is a pain being at the angle into the body. I've had this replaced twice, as the angle of the cable keeps tugging at it and damaging the contacts. I always play with a strap, and loop the cable through that to try and reduce the strain which does help.

- my big one is a roadblock at the moment. All of the pots are soldered directly onto the PCB, and my bass pot has started clicking/grating when turned either up or down. I'm guessing its a case of a full rewire, as I've been told that pickups used in actives are usually quite thin sounding.

A couple of photos as it stands at present are attached.

20210728_233246.jpg

20210729_000933.jpg

20210729_000943.jpg

20210729_004718.jpg

Edited by chansm

Have you considered a cable with a right-angled plug?

Get some electrical contact cleaner spray and spray into the pot which is scratchy. You just need to clean the contacts by spraying a little cleaner into the hole on the pot shell and run the knob through the full range of motion.

Whoever told you active pickups are thin doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt. I had the same bass as you and it was one of the naturally fattest tones I've had on any bass with the EQ set flat. Those pickups are anything but thin. They don't understand what being an active pickup means.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

I'd definitely echo @Doctor Jand suggest a right angled plug, also not all jack sockets are created equal, the Switchcraft ones are generally regarded as the most reliable/robust so are worth the premium, for the pots definitely try contact/switch cleaner first, if that doesn't solve it then a good tech shouldn't have much trouble replacing the pots, it might take a little searching for the exact replacements but i'd give good odds that it could be repaired

Matt

The pre-amps are a notorious weak point on these, and replacing them, or re-wiring the bass as passive, are both common options. I have a Nordstrand 4-pot in one of mine which is a vast improvement over the standard, I've also fitted Artec cheapies as a short-term. The pickups are perfectly OK to run passive.

This looks like a later model with the preamp all on one PCB, earlier ones had individual PCBs on the pots which were much easier to just replace a pot. It should still be possible to replace a single pot without a complete rewire but the question is really whether it's worth the effort.

Not sure a right-angled jack plug is going to make a lot of difference. Because of the recess around the socket, it would only be able to point downwards, you'd have an even bigger loop of cable going down out and back to the strap. I've not seen similar issues with contacts on any of the ones I've owned.

"Anyway, on to my issues - any advice greatly appreciated!

- I have a long-standing ongoing issue with a low buzz coming through the amp - I've tried other basses and leads, so deduction is it is the bass. Does anyone else have this issue?

- the jack socket is a pain being at the angle into the body. I've had this replaced twice, as the angle of the cable keeps tugging at it and damaging the contacts. I always play with a strap, and loop the cable through that to try and reduce the strain which does help.

- my big one is a roadblock at the moment. All of the pots are soldered directly onto the PCB, and my bass pot has started clicking/grating when turned either up or down. I'm guessing its a case of a full rewire, as I've been told that pickups used in actives are usually quite thin sounding."

I've got 3 SGC Nanyo 5 strings and they have all been quiet. I have, however, now changed all the pre-amps. Mainly because I think this is the weak point in the basses and I wanted the option of Active/Passive switching. They all had different pre-amps initially but they are a 30+ year old design and electronics have come a long way in that time. I've certain not experienced the pickups being "thin" sounding and they are not active pickups. The "active" part is the pre-amp and the pickups are normal high impedance type as fitted to most basses.

I agree with @Matt P's comment about the quality of the jack socket. All of mine have had a problem with loose fit and crackling at one time or another, so they have been changed for Neutrik ones and have been rock solid ever since.

Edited by BassBunny

9 hours ago, pete.young said:

The pre-amps are a notorious weak point on these, and replacing them, or re-wiring the bass as passive, are both common options. I have a Nordstrand 4-pot in one of mine which is a vast improvement over the standard, I've also fitted Artec cheapies as a short-term. The pickups are perfectly OK to run passive.

This looks like a later model with the preamp all on one PCB, earlier ones had individual PCBs on the pots which were much easier to just replace a pot. It should still be possible to replace a single pot without a complete rewire but the question is really whether it's worth the effort.

Not sure a right-angled jack plug is going to make a lot of difference. Because of the recess around the socket, it would only be able to point downwards, you'd have an even bigger loop of cable going down out and back to the strap. I've not seen similar issues with contacts on any of the ones I've owned.

Hey Pete

I'd love to hear how good the Nordstrand sounds if you think it's an improvement. I'm more than happy with the standard Nanyo parts but if the upgrade is worthwhile I would consider doing it myself.

Any sound clips??

Wow, so many responses so quickly! I'm blown away by the love that these instruments have, and the passion involved.

A slight point with regards to the bass pot - when I said it's clicking - I meant physically, and not just dirt inside - it's like how you feel the centre point on the balance pot, but it's like clicking a switch. It's definitely looking like a replacement job for the PCB, then - unless I resolder a pot onto it, which would involve me plopping bricks!

You don't need to replace the PCB, you can desolder the old pot off and solder a new pot on. Just get a solder sucker and it should only take a few minutes. The lugs will be different to a standard pot where you'd solder wire into the hole. This kind of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264273433131?hash=item3d87ec922b:g:b-8AAOSwlBZbbajy

I'd echo what @TheGreeksaid about the preamp. I thought the one in mine sounded just fine. Stock SGC Nanyo's are a great bass without any modding.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chansm said:

Wow, so many responses so quickly! I'm blown away by the love that these instruments have, and the passion involved.

A slight point with regards to the bass pot - when I said it's clicking - I meant physically, and not just dirt inside - it's like how you feel the centre point on the balance pot, but it's like clicking a switch. It's definitely looking like a replacement job for the PCB, then - unless I resolder a pot onto it, which would involve me plopping bricks!

Interesting. One of my Nanyos had the same pre-amp as yours and a similar problem also on the bass pot. It had an audible "click" when it reached the end of its travel and it affected the tone as well.

I did try and source a replacement pot but getting one with the correct dimensions proved tricky. Although the pots are PCB mounted there is a brass spacer that slides over the threaded collar of the pots acting as a spacer. Then secured by the nuts on the front of the bass. I gave up in the end and as I'd already swapped out the pre-amps in my other 2 basses, went the whole hog and changed it.

Whilst searching for a possible 2nd hand replacement, this pre amp also seems to be fitted to Tune Maniacs, I discovered an Artec one that appears to be exactly the same size and fit. An Artec BE2.

http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/be2.html

Edited by BassBunny
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Interesting. One of my Nanyos had the same pre-amp as yours and a similar problem also on the bass pot. It had an audible "click" when it reached the end of its travel and it affected the tone as well.

I did try and source a replacement pot but getting one with the correct dimensions proved tricky. Although the pots are PCB mounted there is a brass spacer that slides over the threaded collar of the pots acting as a spacer. Then secured by the nuts on the front of the bass. I gave up in the end and as I'd already swapped out the pre-amps in my other 2 basses, went the whole hog and changed it.

Whilst searching for a possible 2nd hand replacement, this pre amp also seems to be fitted to Tune Maniacs, I discovered an Artec one that appears to be exactly the same size and fit. An Artec BE2.

http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/be2.html

One thing to be aware of on the size and fit on the PCB's, therefore fixed pot locations,  is the location of the pots and the holes in the bass.

See my 3 here - you will see that on the pink one (yes it's pink, yes its original judging by the control cavity) and the black one the location of the knob nearest to the bridge.

Whilst on the Blue one the location of the knobs is a much more uniform / pleasing diamond shape.

All these 3 are early ish Japanese Made ranging from 1988 to 1991

217467578_1194351757715283_6613362827407821977_n.jpg

Edited by bagsieblue

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Looking at the bridges (the blue one has a high mass bridge) I would hazard a guess that the black and the pink ones are later models when manufacturing was moved away from Japan. 

Fairly certain these 3 are Japanese Made Mick - I've had a few of these, like you.  Also had some non Japan ones and have seen the slight differences.

The pink one serial number dates to 1988.

Black is 1991.

Blue is 1991.

I think its just a quirk of the build, once upon a time I though it was between 4 strings and 5 strings but now dont think that is the case - the published catalogue photos show this.  Many other photos on line showing this too

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Hey Pete

I'd love to hear how good the Nordstrand sounds if you think it's an improvement. I'm more than happy with the standard Nanyo parts but if the upgrade is worthwhile I would consider doing it myself.

Any sound clips??

Hi Mick,

Not really I'm afraid. When I originally fitted the Nordstrand I didn't record any clips with it, and I've since replaced the pickups with Delano so any clips I recorded now wouldn't demonstrate the improvement in the preamp.

It does have a push-pull active/passive option on the volume control and a passive tone control, although I haven't made a lot of use of that. I had to change it because the blend pot had stopped working altogether. I think there is a bit more boost and cut on the bass and treble controls.

I also have an SB320 with the original pre-amp and an SB310 which has had a new blend pot, and both these pre-amps still sound fine. I wouldn't replace them for the sake of it. Despite some of the soldering looking a bit iffy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

One thing to be aware of on the size and fit on the PCB's, therefore fixed pot locations,  is the location of the pots and the holes in the bass.

I did compare the pot locations on the Nanyo with the Artec one and they appear to be the same.

• 1 month later...

i hope i'm not breaking any rules posting it here but i've put up a wanted ad for a silver/pewter/metallic grey 5 string, my friend is still looking to replace the one she sold as a skint student (actually her Husband is looking) 

we think it was a SB405 with the jazz pickups, any leads on ones for sale gratefully received.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Not sure how true this is...

Bass Collection was a bass guitar line from the late 1980s/1990s, produced by a now-defunct company called SGC Nanyo, an electronic manufacturer from Japan, upon acquiring Sexton Guitar Company, a small British guitar manufacturing firm. The basses were made in Japan, Korea and China. It is unknown what the "SB" stands for exactly; either a "Sexton Bass" or "Standard Bass". The basses were available in a variety of flavours such as 4-string or 5-string, J/J or P/J pickup configurations and active or passive.

In the case of this particular example, the model number is not recalled but is from the upper end of the range as it is differentiated from lower models by:

Gold hardware (Gotoh tuners)

Active pickups 

Translucent varnish on a beautiful walnut body (cheaper models had solid painted bodies)

Original cost new £800

Note this is an original SGC Nanyo bass made in Japan, not the recent speakeasy re-issue

This includes a Fender hard case with the sale

More history form the internet:

During the mid-80’s a Japanese electronics manufacturer called Nanyo (who presumably made pickups, amongst other things) bought a small British firm called the Sexton Guitar Company. They scrapped any guitars that Sexton were making and concentrated on making one basic design of bass guitar, which they called the SB range (Standard Bass? Sexton Bass?).

The range was launched in either 1987 or 1988.

The design was available in a number of flavours:
4-string or 5-string
Active or Passive
J/J or P/J configuration

All were 24-fret maple necks with rosewood fretboards and genuine Gotoh tuners.
All were fitted with own-brand pickups which say – VERY faintly – SGC. You need to look pretty closely to spot this.
The cheaper basses (SB301 and SB310) had alder bodies, usually painted.
The more expensive basses (SB320, SB325 and SB330) had Sen bodies.
The SB325 was the 5-string, the SB330 was a fretless with fret-markers.

The range was not cheap. These basses sold in the £500 - £800 range 20 years ago.

Serial numbers were 6-digit numeric, the first two digits being the year of manufacture (so my 325, S/N 883357, was made in 1988). The serial number, bizarrely, was on a label stuck to the electronics inside the back cavity. This meant that owners of a passive Bass Collection never realised that there was a serial number at all, since there was no reason to take off the back cover.

In the mid-90’s, probably in 1996, SGC Nanyo went bust.

Almost immediately a new range of Bass Collection basses appeared, made/marketed by a firm called SX, sometimes labelled “through Marina”. SX are probably Korean, but I can’t confirm that. The early SX versions of the Bass Collection range were apparently pretty decent, though not as good as the SGC Nanyo ones.

Current SX Bass Collections can be bought in the US through Rondo Music for $100 and are apparently exactly as good as you’d expect a $100 bass to be. They have standard alder bodies and generic electronics.

Meanwhile, Godlyke Inc. in the US started to sell their Disciple, a clear copy of the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection made of hardwood and equipped with “SGC electronics”, for prices ranging upwards from $825. Quite a long way upwards, in fact.

As if that’s not enough to be going on with, our own dear Bass Centre has just launched the Bass Collection Speakeasy, made of basswood and own-brand electronics, for £299.

What this all means is that a bass described to you (on eBay, for example) as a Bass Collection could come from any one of four different ranges from four different manufacturers, made at any time from 1987 to the present day. Looking on review sites such as Harmony Central doesn’t help much since so many reviewers clearly don’t realise the differences, and the exact model number is often misquoted or misdescribed.

Even the wood used by SGC Nanyo has caused confusion, especially the ash bodies.

SEN is also known as hari-gari, or occasionally as nakora. Although it is often described as Japanese Ash, this is quite misleading since it is actually a member of the Ginseng family. (Betcha didn't know that, huh?)

The wood is similar to both American Elm and Ash in texture and appearance, and can be mistaken for Swamp Ash.

Sen is less dense (SG = 0.45) than either American Elm (SG = 0.50) or Ash (SG = 0.58). It is therefore significantly lighter but, of course, also weaker.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...