Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

The grey one? Good bass that...another one I shouldn't have sold but it wasn't getting the use it deserved.

Yep the grey one, it was suffering fingerboard lift - the glue had degraded to the point that I was able to pull the whole thing off with my bare hands! A good dose of Titebond and many clamps have returned it to life :)

Edit - I am now thinking of stripping it as the finish is a little battered!

Edited by BreadBin

• 2 months later...

Just spent the morning stripping the paint from the body of a 310...man, it was hard work.

Immune to paint stripper even though this being left over night, I was forced to use a heat gun and paint scraper - even with this the paint wouldn't crackle/lift. I think that under the heat from the paint gun the body may have dried out and the 3 piece body has acquired a couple of hair line splits. Looks like I may need to pull out some Titebond/PVA and give the splits some help in staying together.

None of this will be seen once I've laminated front and back with some marquetry.

Does anybody know what the indestructible paint these are painted with is?

• 2 months later...

Topic had seeped it's way down to page 14 - need it closer to hand.

BTW the body continues to be troublesome - the 3 piece has split and refuses to be re-glued. Plan is to remove it completely and re-attach using dowels and STRONG adhesive.

Edited by TheGreek

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread for great basses. There's a 5 listed for sale here, and owner has pics of original brochures, the fine Wapping High Street price list etc. ;) Those pics would be nice archived.

Personally I feel the price is a tads strong... but maybe I'm still on the old money. (A grand... ??)

5 hours ago, Soledad said:

Great thread for great basses. There's a 5 listed for sale here, and owner has pics of original brochures, the fine Wapping High Street price list etc. ;) Those pics would be nice archived.

Personally I feel the price is a tads strong... but maybe I'm still on the old money. (A grand... ??)

I’ve got my 335 up for sale for less than half that but have got to say, now having serious “should I really be selling it” doubts.....

6 hours ago, Soledad said:

"tads strong" -  I feel you have a gift for under-statement. :D

SGC Nanyos are lovely, I've had a couple and they are very very good. But £1,000 for that with the damage highlighted... somewhat aspirational. (Which may also be an understatement... but GLWTS to the seller...)

• Like 2

Here's a bit of info from one of the "sleuths" on the SGC-Nanyo Facebook page and the accompanying reply to a customer support enquiry fro Deviser:

"There has always been an air of mystery surrounding who exactly SGC Nanyo was.

All that anyone who happened to play one of these instruments knew was that they had a top quality well built instrument in their hands.
I am yet to confirm that SGC stood for Sexton Guitar Company that was an english guitar manufacturer that the japanese electronic company Nanyo (Nanyo Boeki) acquired.

Now here's some information that I had confirmed by email in the early hours of this morning. As you probably have seen on other recent posts Momose (Yasuo)(a person not a company) is a japanese luthier/guitar builder who built The Jazz basses for Bass Collection and it turns out and this is the interesting bit that he was the guitar builder who made the neck's and body's for the japanese built SGC Nanyo guitars and basses.
As far as I can tell the finish, hardware, pickups and electronics were applied and installed elsewhere in Japan.
For me this is important information as this further confirms that our instruments are top quality. Momose Yasuo is a highly skilled and highly regarded luthier/guitar builder just look at the quality of his work and the price points of his current work reflects his skill. But at around £2,500.00 for a boutique hand crafted guitar in all variations the price really isn't that bad.
On a final note this background information on our instruments pedigree really should make us realise that our SGC Nanyo Basses really are undervalued and that even if we paid the top RRP from new, we paid a good price.
And personally I believe that once people start to catch on to the background and pedigree of these instruments and as they become older and rarer, we might just see the price of these SGC Nanyo's increasing.

Here's the email confirming Momose Yasuo's part and involvement in the SGC Nanyo company and brands."

facebook_1551378641490.thumb.jpg.bc7fd2c1e2e6a5719724fab4185afbfb.jpg
Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 5 on the bay at the moment - BIN £160 or offer. Is it my eyes -  looks like it's had the frets ripped out (no mention in description)... ? Near Oxford somewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Bass-collection-by-SGC-Nanyo-5-string-active-jazz-bass-late-80s/223450917070?hash=item3406b668ce:g:Iv4AAOSwZ65cjgFn

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:49, Soledad said:

There's a 5 on the bay at the moment - BIN £160 or offer. Is it my eyes -  looks like it's had the frets ripped out (no mention in description)... ? Near Oxford somewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Bass-collection-by-SGC-Nanyo-5-string-active-jazz-bass-late-80s/223450917070?hash=item3406b668ce:g:Iv4AAOSwZ65cjgFn

If this had been available a month ago and I'd seen it, I would probably have gone for it as I have a SGC 5-string fretted and wanted a similar fretless to match up.

Now I have two very nice Spectors  - one fretted, one fretless - and so will now look to offload my own Bass Collection fretted 5'er instead.

Funny old thing, life.......

That Price List is from 1993, so actually quite late in the history of SGC Nanyo. 

My favourites were the 80s basses, especially the SB320 which had apparently dropped off the roster by 1993.

I'll add this Price List to one of my earliest posts so that it's there for people reading the whole Topic for the first time.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've seen a bit of a basket case Japanese Nanyo on Gumtree (yes, I know I have too many basses already...), and I have a technical question for the five string gurus out there - do these have a three piece neck?  I believe it to be sen, in see-through gold, with gold hardware.

I'm looking at my '95 four string SB320 series for comparison, and is has a single piece neck with a scarf joint.

Edit:

Think I've answered my own question after looking at some photos on the Facebook page.  The 5 string versions do indeed appear to have a 3-piece maple neck, and not 1-piece as described in the catalogue...

Edited by missis sumner

This is worth £75 isn't it?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/nanyo-bass-collection-5-string-electric-bass/1335771149

I've asked for some more photos/details, but just going on the details given:

1. New nut - £10

2. Strings - £30

3. Truss rod cover - £10

4. Nail varnish for the dings...

As long as the neck is straight and the electronics work, probably looking at £50 and a bit of my time to make it playable?

2 hours ago, missis sumner said:

This is worth £75 isn't it?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/nanyo-bass-collection-5-string-electric-bass/1335771149

I've asked for some more photos/details, but just going on the details given:

1. New nut - £10

2. Strings - £30

3. Truss rod cover - £10

4. Nail varnish for the dings...

As long as the neck is straight and the electronics work, probably looking at £50 and a bit of my time to make it playable?

Still a steal even after the work. 

• Like 1