Why become a member? ×

Recording your bands everyday rehearsal

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy! I'm still in shock at the appalling demo that our band did a couple of months back.

The story goes: Drummer and 1 of the guitarists not working. Rest of us are.

Instead of goiing to friendly and familiar territory(Ian at Airplay )
the guitarist knows someone who knows someone (2 fly -by-night dj's) who'll record us
at a cheaper price. Disaster!

Anyway, rather than upset the rest of the band who are all nice guys.
I was wondering if there is a device that's GOOD ,which will record us so that we could
put that version onto our website and if people heard that ,they could see that we are much better
than the demo cd on there at present.

If there is something, and it worked, I would leave demo on webpage but put the newer recording
on there as well so that thge rest of the band will see.....

I know line6 do something,but if there is something fairly cheap,portable,easy to use and good ,
please let me know.

Cheers

My portable recorder of choice is the Olympus LS-10, but that has been superseded by the LS-11.

A wee word of warning is that these things can be eye openers - properly positioned and with the gain set right, they'll record it exactly how it sounds in the room. The problem I had was that we were exactly sh*te in the room! If there are any loose bits in your playing, then it'll show up on the recordings.

[quote name='Commando Jack' post='674336' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:13 PM']My portable recorder of choice is the Olympus LS-10, but that has been superseded by the LS-11.

A wee word of warning is that these things can be eye openers - properly positioned and with the gain set right, they'll record it exactly how it sounds in the room. The problem I had was that we were exactly sh*te in the room! If there are any loose bits in your playing, then it'll show up on the recordings.[/quote]

Im sure thats what practicing is for? To find those loose bits :)

Zoom H2 is by far the best portable recorder for the money. The Boss Micro BR is sort of like a small portable multi-track, but only one instrument at a time. It does have a built in mic for rehearsal recording, but you'll only get mono recordings. Plus the BR uses proprietory file formats which need converting to WAV or AIF first which is a big negative in my book. The BR doesn't support media any bigger than a gig in memory. The Zoom is WAV and MP3 only so files can be edited straight away. I have an 8 gig memory card in mine which gives me 13 hours of CD quality recording. The 4 channel surround on the H2 is simply amazing for the little price you pay for the unit.

Edited by derrenleepoole

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='673682' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:45 PM']Howdy! I'm still in shock at the appalling demo that our band did a couple of months back.

The story goes: Drummer and 1 of the guitarists not working. Rest of us are.

Instead of goiing to friendly and familiar territory(Ian at Airplay )
the guitarist knows someone who knows someone (2 fly -by-night dj's) who'll record us
at a cheaper price. Disaster!

Anyway, rather than upset the rest of the band who are all nice guys.
I was wondering if there is a device that's GOOD ,which will record us so that we could
put that version onto our website and if people heard that ,they could see that we are much better
than the demo cd on there at present.

If there is something, and it worked, I would leave demo on webpage but put the newer recording
on there as well so that thge rest of the band will see.....

I know line6 do something,but if there is something fairly cheap,portable,easy to use and good ,
please let me know.

Cheers[/quote]
We usually just hook an old minidisc up to the mixer. Easy as 1,2,3. Always thought those things were useless, now it's got a use.

Seasons greetings,

Phil.

Hi!

Take a peek at this! The AxJaK AJ2 is about the size of a memory stick. AJ2 requires no cables/wires and runs from a AAA 1.5v battery.

For more info visit www.axjak.com and click on the "News" tab to see/hear the AJ2 in action (MP3 of AJ2 Bass recordings on same page)

Regards,

David Tolson

AxJaK Audio
Unplugthevibe...

PS AxJak will record directly from a Mixing desk via a 1/4" output socket.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXnc2kKwkjY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXnc2kKwkjY[/url]