Why become a member? ×

peterson

zachholdsworth

[quote name='Pea Turgh' timestamp='1505761988' post='3374161']
It looks familiar. Maybe just a case of bass-ja-vu!

Tony Packer of Music Repair Services Wales who fixed my Peterson said he had a fantastic and enlightening conversation with the designer of the amp (guessing he was referring to Pete Tullett). Also said he'd suffered a stroke, poor fella.
[/quote]

I never had a chance to try my Peterson bass on Peterson amp - in Hungary I didn't find any.

• 2 years later...

Reviving a zombie thread...

baowah did also post a similar question in 2014 to this one. It so happens that I know Nick Odell (the shorter one in the photo on the previous page) through a newsgroup, he spotted the mentions of his name, and asked me if I could pass on some information. So, from Nick:

I have one of the red basses which was given to me by Pete Tulett in August 1998. 

Pete kept the other one. Unfortunately Pete died in 2007 and his wife in 2018 and I have no idea what became of the other bass after that and no real way of finding out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 02/08/2020 at 18:59, tauzero said:

Reviving a zombie thread...

baowah did also post a similar question in 2014 to this one. It so happens that I know Nick Odell (the shorter one in the photo on the previous page) through a newsgroup, he spotted the mentions of his name, and asked me if I could pass on some information. So, from Nick:

WOW, thanks a lot. Please tell for Nick, that this bass is still very good instrument, I like it much - ultrathin neck, confy body. The original plan from the factory is still on the wall in my mancave :)

On 02/12/2009 at 16:24, Bass Culture said:

Yeah, I had the 150w 1 x 10" combo too. I loved it. Mine was loaded with an EV speaker; sounded brilliant. I exchanged a few e-mails with the guy who made them and he was kind enough to send me some publicity material and copies of reviews from back in the day. I think he was the guy behind (was it?) Alligator amps but someone will correct if I'm wrong. It was a company that made very well regarded amps for a while back in the 80's anyway. I wish I could remember the bloke's name but it was a few years back! I don't have the publicity material and other stuff anymore as I gave them to the person who bought the amp off me a few years back.

I managed to pick up a 15" extension speaker from a shop in East Anglia somewhere (same neck of the woods as the company were based in) but someone had swapped out the original driver for a crappy Fane one. I put a Black Widow in it and this was a killer rig with the combo! I also had the head separated from the combo and covered the whole lot in grey vinyl as the wood was starting to scratch. By modern standards it wasn't high powered but it used to deliver every one of those 150 watts! The cabs were tiny too. I often wished I'd kept them. I'd love to have heard what they sounded like with a couple of newer neo drivers in now.

Anyway - Peterson: great amps.

To be fair witn Fane as with other brands, you get what you pay for. Fane do make some great speakers and sone poor ones but then so do Eminence, Faital Pro, Beyma etc and the biggest problem with changing a speaker as, without the right knowledge, you can turn a silk purse into a sow's  ear,

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Pete Tulett lived in my village and introduced me to jazz. He named Peterson Amps after Oscar Peterson as well as his namesake.  His workers tried to say they designed it and he took them to court and won.  He had the blueprints after all and his wife Bobbi said it made her so angry because she saw him putting them together in the kitchen.  He told me I was like the son he’d never had.  My mum was good friends with his wife.  Unfortunately he died from a stroke and his wife died about 4 years ago.  It was so sad.  I have recently found a video of him playing drums in a jazz band and posted it on YouTube.   

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Another resurrection - I found one for sale and snapped it up. Should be with me tomorrow/ mid week hopefully at which time I'll post photos and a review.

Full report please! 😊 I'd love to hear how you feel it stacks up against some of your other/previous gear.

On 25/11/2021 at 08:49, Chienmortbb said:

To be fair witn Fane as with other brands, you get what you pay for. Fane do make some great speakers and sone poor ones but then so do Eminence, Faital Pro, Beyma etc and the biggest problem with changing a speaker as, without the right knowledge, you can turn a silk purse into a sow's  ear,

You're quite right, of course.  I was completely ignorant of the considerations involved in replacing speakers back then, so I suspect I may well have been able to source a much more suitable driver had I referred the query to the BC hive mind.

On 24/04/2023 at 18:35, TheGreek said:

Another resurrection - I found one for sale and snapped it up. Should be with me tomorrow/ mid week hopefully at which time I'll post photos and a review.

Combo or bass?  Assuming combo.  I put a Beyma in mine - sounds lovely!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Great thread this, some really interesting back story on the P100G I had one in the 80,s sold it and then a few years ago bought it back from. The guy I sold it to. Why I sold it in the first place I’ll never understand:) 

Out of curiosity I noticed the links for lots of the photos and the ones for the Peterson brochure are no longer working, if possible does anyone have a copy any of them they could re-upload here please? Cheers in advance.