Why become a member? ×

Bassmute... who else uses one?

The Burpster

So I finally got 'round to fitting my bassmutes to the PRSs.....

For thosoe of you unaware :) [url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html[/url]

They are so goddam useful....

Back to my original question, who else has got, and uses one (with the exception of Dood and Ped or was it CK...who put me onto them!)....?

Good call - but it's a bit hit and miss (not always even across the strings) and looks crap - and it's something else to lose. I think the Bassmute is a bit steep, but if you save money by buying other things wisely (like avoiding the smoke and mirrors claims of some bass cabinets and so on) then for something that just works and is a solid simple piece of kit, then it is worth it in relative terms!

ped

[quote name='MythSte' post='670461' date='Nov 30 2009, 09:31 PM']I still think that Bacchus is the best looking bass ive ever seen Ped! :wub:[/quote]

Cheers - it sounded fantastic, too. There's a track on my site with it.

[quote name='ped' post='670490' date='Nov 30 2009, 09:56 PM']Good call - but it's a bit hit and miss (not always even across the strings) and looks crap - and it's something else to lose.[/quote]

It's even across the strings (how even does it need to be anyway?) if you cut it right and trim it for five minutes - probably takes less time than installing a Bassmute. And if you lose it - who cares! You found it in your loft. I actually used the first one as a template and cut half a dozen to match it, and sometimes I stick two of them under there if I want to get really thumpy, when I'm done I shove them in my back pocket. :)

As for it looking bad, I like the make-shift look, but I suppose that's a taste thing.

[quote name='ped' post='670490' date='Nov 30 2009, 09:56 PM']I think the Bassmute is a bit steep, but if you save money by buying other things wisely (like avoiding the smoke and mirrors claims of some bass cabinets and so on) then for something that just works and is a solid simple piece of kit, then it is worth it in relative terms![/quote]

I don't actually know how much it costs but if it works for you then great. I know it's more expensive than £0, so I prefer the £0 option, but honestly whatever works works, I was just pointing out a cheap idea that really works.

So surely its not just me thats using them......?

My 'burst PRS (the ex-Rhino Edwards one) has soooo much sustain its a pain at times, even with flats on. The BM dulls this down to a rich gentle ring and then cranked all the way over to a lovely EUB thud.

I know I'm a tackle tart - but these really do make a difference worth every penny....!

Ped did you sell your 5 string one on....?

I ended up buying a 5 string Chrome one from a BCer, that I got the 4 string bits for from Ellio (proper gent!) that now sits on my Swampy PRS.....

Pedster, that being the case I'll put money on the Silver one on my Swampy PRS is your old one from your old Bacchus!!!!!

Pics - I will do when I get my shoite together.... Nikon havent done an upgrade to ViewNX for Snow Leopard yet so I have to do everything pic wise by proxy......

PITA!

[quote name='NickH' post='671549' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:00 PM']Holy crap! I was just thinking "that looks useful, might give one a go..." then I saw the price of it.
For a black 5-string one to match my Status, plus tracked shipping, it's £120.

I'm liking the mouse mat version right now.[/quote]
HOW MUCH!?!

That's ridiculous. I would have thought £35 - £45 would be perfectly reasonable for something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that, ideally, muting with your hand is the 'proper' thing to do but mutes can give a more consistant sound. I've experimented with various and the best mute I've come up with was a bit of foam sponge stuff from a soldering iron holder stuck under the strings the bridge. Foam rubber, old socks etc give different but interesting tones - I recommend experimenting. I love the retro sound muting strings give (can make an electric sound almost acoustic and also very James Jamerson). I could never justify spending actual money on a piece of kit to do the job a bit of foam rubber could do for free.

[quote name='gjones' post='693759' date='Dec 26 2009, 03:23 PM']I could never justify spending actual money on a piece of kit to do the job a bit of foam rubber could do for free.[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm, justification is relative isn't it.

This device is completely tunable, to allow varying degrees of mute. That is across all strings or on each individual string. Whilst I agree with a lot of to55ing about you could do that with little bits of FREE foam.....

Could you however,

i) flick into and out of the damped string mode between tracks or indeed between notes while you are playing? I think not.

ii) you replicate EXACTLY the same amount of damping that you set up with your bit of foam over and over again? I think not.

iii) you select how much damping you use mid track? I think not.

I am endebted to Ellio and his team for developing a quality peice of kit, and believe me it is. Whilst this doesnt fit into a 'minimum budget at all costs' approach to basses, you may have noticed that these are both fitted to my PRSs so that isn't on my agenda.

This is a superb piece of kit. It works. It may cost as much as some basses do, but then it only costs the same as a quality effects pedal with which I would have to s0d about with to try to get the effect that this produces and it is not in the signal chain.

The exchange is crap at currently so they do not seem like a 'bargain', but then would you spend £100 on a pedal...?

My guess is that you probably wouldn't, I mean why would you spend 'actual money' on an overdrive when you can just turn the gain up: Right?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='694122' date='Dec 27 2009, 09:23 AM']Hmmmmmmm, justification is relative isn't it.

This device is completely tunable, to allow varying degrees of mute. That is across all strings or on each individual string. Whilst I agree with a lot of to55ing about you could do that with little bits of FREE foam.....

Could you however,

i) flick into and out of the damped string mode between tracks or indeed between notes while you are playing? I think not.

ii) you replicate EXACTLY the same amount of damping that you set up with your bit of foam over and over again? I think not.

iii) you select how much damping you use mid track? I think not.

I am endebted to Ellio and his team for developing a quality peice of kit, and believe me it is. Whilst this doesnt fit into a 'minimum budget at all costs' approach to basses, you may have noticed that these are both fitted to my PRSs so that isn't on my agenda.

This is a superb piece of kit. It works. It may cost as much as some basses do, but then it only costs the same as a quality effects pedal with which I would have to s0d about with to try to get the effect that this produces and it is not in the signal chain.

The exchange is crap at currently so they do not seem like a 'bargain', but then would you spend £100 on a pedal...?

My guess is that you probably wouldn't, I mean why would you spend 'actual money' on an overdrive when you can just turn the gain up: Right?[/quote]

Well I don't know about anybody else but you've definitely convinced me. No more fiddly bit's of rubber for me. I'm buying one tomorrow.

Then I can mute and unmute between notes.

Which of course would have been impossible for me to do with fiddly bit's of old sock.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='694122' date='Dec 27 2009, 09:23 AM']i) flick into and out of the damped string mode between tracks or indeed between notes while you are playing? I think not.

iii) you select how much damping you use mid track? I think not.[/quote]

Do you often switch the mutes on and off between notes? If I just wanted a damp a short section of a song I'd probably use my palm but I've never had the inclination so far. As for replicating 'EXACTLY the same amount of damping' IME it doesn't matter. Ballpark is fine.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='694122' date='Dec 27 2009, 09:23 AM']The exchange is crap at currently so they do not seem like a 'bargain', but then would you spend £100 on a pedal...?

My guess is that you probably wouldn't, I mean why would you spend 'actual money' on an overdrive when you can just turn the gain up: Right?[/quote]

Funnily enough I don't have an overdrive pedal. None of the effects I do have can be replicated using free alternatives. But fair enough, if you need to switch mutes on and off between notes then I can see why you'd value your damper machine thing. I'd like to come see you play actually. :)

Oh dear, have I been abrasive.... :)

If I have appeared to be, its because too often folks diss a piece of kit purely because of its cost. They have more than likely never come into contact with the piece of kit in question but because it costs £XX they quote it as a waste of money.

This piece of kit allows you to damp in the way I pointed out. Do I pick up that you are implying then, that because I state that a Bassmute would allow it to be used bewteen notes, that I have to be able to damp between notes to have a bassmute fitted? Will you also tell me I have to be able to slap 16ths to be credible..?

I dont have sufficient skill to damp to similar amount repeatedly with my palm and I end up being hamfisted, hence the reason I bought and use a Bassmute. I dont have the luxury of being able to practice for hours on end, and playing is not my career so it is not essential for me to be able to palm mute with a high degree of skill.

I use it to deliver a sound that I require. It is for complete tracks most of the time, but I can and do flick it to damp for parts of tracks if I need to.

Why do folks find it neccassary to give a critique on their opinion of 'what something costs or is worth' when that was not the question I originally posed.....?

I was genuinely interested to see if others had bought and use this piece of kit. I was not interested to see if anyone thought it 'value for money' or if they could 'justify buying one'.......