Why become a member? ×

TC electronics RH 450

FLoydElgar

[quote name='lojo' post='733032' date='Feb 2 2010, 03:08 PM']RH450 on its way!

Not sure what cabs to purchase for it yet ...... to much choice and makes out there![/quote]

Good un!

Went on GuitarGuitar today, looked at their RS210 and Combo 450. The 210 was the inbetween finish, the combo the new shiny finish.

They look really good in either, but the shiny version wins it for me. I'm glad I went for 210s as they are just about the right size.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='733183' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:14 PM']Good un!

Went on GuitarGuitar today, looked at their RS210 and Combo 450. The 210 was the inbetween finish, the combo the new shiny finish.

They look really good in either, but the shiny version wins it for me. I'm glad I went for 210s as they are just about the right size.[/quote]

I intend to get used to the head over the next week or so , then try out various cabs (begantinos etc) I think there are alot of options

Hope to narrow it down with research before my play on stuff day trip!

Really looking for a portable rig, 2 cabs with the best tone and punch I can get for my money

Then not look at gear for 10 years (perhaps a few basses maybe)

[quote name='lojo' post='733214' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:39 PM']Really looking for a portable rig, 2 cabs with the best tone and punch I can get for my money[/quote]

I was too, and I settled on the RH 450 with two Purple Chili 1 x 12's. This is a crazy light rig - the cabs weigh only 12.7kg - 28lbs each in old money! I find them punchy with a lot a bass weight and depth, but still focussed. I suspect the 1 x 10 cabs would be even tighter and punchier. I've only used one cab for rehearsals since I got them and that keeps up with our drummer and guitarist without breaking a sweat - the amp's master has never gone past 9'o'clock so far. This is playing finger style and a variety of pop and chart stuff; don't know what it'd be like with a plectrum and playing death metal! Mind you, that's what you'd have your second cab for, isn't it?

One word to the wise though - I'm beginning to think that drivers in new cabs perhaps take a little while longer to bed in than I realised. Both the PC cabs and the Barefaced Compact I had before them exhibited a distinct harshness when I first got them, which took a good few weeks to smooth out completely. Now that I've been using the cabs for 6 weeks or so (only one gig and about 4 rehearsals in that time though) they sound a lot cleaner and clearer.

Pip pip!

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='735077' date='Feb 4 2010, 02:29 PM']I was too, and I settled on the RH 450 with two Purple Chili 1 x 12's.[/quote]

Just wondering if you tried the TC cabs first and sound was also a factor in your choice to pair the RH450 with differing makes of cabs?

Had a chance to mess around with this (RH450) this morning, if it sounds as good in a band situation as it does indoors then I may have found the ideal portable amp!

Features are fantastic, its sitting on my desk at the mo with the ipod and phones plugged in, jamming without upsetting the household

Tube tone is amazing, lovely subtle growl with it just on, does not sound false in the slightest to me

I need to get this cab choice right, funds ready, just need to make the right choice

Got a practice tomorrow (will DI into pa and perhaps run a 100w combo through the effects send in the absence of cabs!)

No gig till 20th, so a little time to shop for cabs

[quote name='lojo' post='736921' date='Feb 6 2010, 07:30 AM']Just wondering if you tried the TC cabs first and sound was also a factor in your choice to pair the RH450 with differing makes of cabs?[/quote]

No, I didn't try the TC cabs first. In fact I didn't try the PC cabs first either! I did speak to Mike Walsh quite extensively about them though, which gave me a pretty good inkling that they would fit the bill - I didn't want anything too 'hi fi' or sterile. As I've posted elsewhere, I don't actually mind something being coloured as long as its colour I like! I know everyone raves about the Bergs but they didn't work for me when I tried my Roscoe through them with a LMIII. Could have been the amp though, of course.

I'll admit it was the looks of the PC cabs that initially sold me - that and their ludicrously low weight. Unless someone tells me otherwise I believe they are significantly lighter than any other lightweight cabs out there for their size (I'm thinking one of Alex's Midget's might actually weigh less but those are tiny, size-wise). Having said all that I'd actually quite like to take my amp down to Bass Direct or somewhere and try the TC cabs, just to see how they do compare. It would certainly be an interesting experiment anyway.

Oh, and as for - "if it sounds as good in a band situation as it does indoors then I may have found the ideal portable amp": it does and it is!

Edited by Bass Culture

Gigged my RH450 and Berg HT112/EX112 and the sound was huge and really deep. Volume of the amp was louder than either my Markbass TA501 or F500. Also, seemed to go deeper than my Eden WT400 although I've not gigged this for a couple of years so mught haul this out for a side by side comparison.

[quote name='PauBass' post='737841' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:08 AM']Any experiences wit this amp paired with Bergantino NV cabs?
I'm using a Berg NV610 and I'm wondering if it would be a good match for this cab.[/quote]

Flanker might be able to give you some idea, be bought a NV412 recently and I belived he did try it with RH450 and Staccato heads at Bass Direct

Ran the RH450 into the PA last night with no cab, result was very good, cant wait to get a cab

The results from the PA alone were good enough to convince me I don't now need a massive cab, just a good monitor and to add a bit of tone to what our PA can produce in smaller venues

Great amp indeed this is

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='743703' date='Feb 13 2010, 08:29 AM']There appears to be a glut of these for sale on eBay @ approx £475; however they are from the States. I realise you then need to factor in shipping and import taxes/duty but are they easy enough to convert over from 120v?[/quote]
The [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450details.asp"]TC Electronic[/url] site claims that they use an international-ready power supply

[quote]The ultimate in convenience for the traveling musician. The built-in power supply operates from 90 to 240 Volts, making life a lot easier for anyone on the road as there’s no complicated fuse changing – just plug and play![/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='743703' date='Feb 13 2010, 09:29 AM']There appears to be a glut of these for sale on eBay @ approx £475; however they are from the States. I realise you then need to factor in shipping and import taxes/duty but are they easy enough to convert over from 120v?[/quote]

I'm over in the USA and I bought one (of the refurbed RH450s off Ebay you're talking about). It doesn't need conversion, the manual says it works internationally already. Auto-sensing power supply. Can't wait to use it at home when I get back! I went for a company that had a return policy (Proaudiostar), but didn't need it, as the unit came out of the box looking brand new and working perfectly.

Pete

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='745927' date='Feb 15 2010, 02:55 PM']I don't really rate the TC cabs, though the TC heads on the other hand...

If I were after cabs I'd go Bergantino all the way.[/quote]

I was thinking exactly the same thing...that was until I had a good 20mins on the cabs. To me, they have that brilliant vintage voicing, with a smooth hf capability.

Berg are fantastic, no doubt. They are also 200-300 each more per cab...and for me seeing the depreciation recently, i'd have to always stick to second hand for Berg.

I do like a warm slightly agressive voicing to my cabinets, not pure and airy, so perhaps that's why the TC cabs work for me, plus they have a great form factor and weight for ceramic.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='746894' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:33 AM']Anybody paired the RH450 with a pair of DB112s?[/quote]

I'm afraid my DB112's went to Greeneking before I got the RH450 - but I have been using it with my 2 GS112's and I love it, so much so that I wont be getting TC cabs. I was all set on the idea and spent some time trying them out (again) at the Bass Merchant with the intention of getting either a RS210/212 combo or RS210/210 and thought I was settled.

Then I got home and played through my 2 GS112's and decided I still like them so much that I'll stick with 'em. Don't get me wrong the TC cabs are very nice, but a combination of size/practicality makes the GS ones work better for me.

J

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='746927' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:01 AM']Cheers. Thanks for the input. :)[/quote]
Just to explain my thinking a little more concisely (yes, I should be working!) - The TC cabs are excellent, but I think in order to get the real benefits which I see as:-

A nice high tweeter giving you the ability to hear yourself well and the full 450 watts out of the head - you need 2 of the cabs (ignoring the RS112 as I've not tried one yet). Having one is nice but then you cant do the vertical stack and you are only getting 8 ohms. Carrying 2 RS210/212 cabs is just not practical for me and seems a bit overkill for most of the gigs I do.

The GS112's can be stacked vertically giving me that "improved monitoring" effect (although the tweeter sounds much better in the TC cabs), they are significantly more rugged and taking them both to gigs is achievable in my car (bmw 3 series, tiniest boot in the world) and gives me the full 450 watts and a lovely tone.

I have to add that the RH450 is so good that I don't feel theres a significant volume boost from using 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms, but the tone obtained from both GS cabs is much improved.

I guess the RS112 could help make the TC cab configurations more versatile, but its still not lifting anything high enough to reach ear height so its really just pumping up the watts and adding a 12" if you've got 10's

I used my RH450 with a borrowed ZOOT 212 (4ohm 600w) last night, but did'nt cut through the band no matter how I set the eq

I had the RH450 on at 1/2 gain and output (not my cab so stopped there, believing that was already way past what should be enough anyway, though it was'nt)

The sound of this amp is great, better than great, but i really confused as this cab is highly rated by its owner, who is a good musician

Ive not used my Rh450 through any cabs yet, it almost seems it may be an amp problem (I dont own any cabs right now so cant test it through anything else!)

The reason for me trying the cab (as for now di into PA is fine with this amp) was to see if in general I liked 12s, hoping to get some aguilars

I now dont know what to think, and cant really get around too much to test for sale gear

Ahhh, in search of cabs !

[quote name='lojo' post='749253' date='Feb 18 2010, 07:42 AM']I used my RH450 with a borrowed ZOOT 212 (4ohm 600w) last night, but did'nt cut through the band no matter how I set the eq

I had the RH450 on at 1/2 gain and output (not my cab so stopped there, believing that was already way past what should be enough anyway, though it was'nt)

The sound of this amp is great, better than great, but i really confused as this cab is highly rated by its owner, who is a good musician

Ive not used my Rh450 through any cabs yet, it almost seems it may be an amp problem (I dont own any cabs right now so cant test it through anything else!)

The reason for me trying the cab (as for now di into PA is fine with this amp) was to see if in general I liked 12s, hoping to get some aguilars

I now dont know what to think, and cant really get around too much to test for sale gear

Ahhh, in search of cabs ![/quote]

I assume your location is 'Daan Sarf'? In which case there may well be a few local BCers who'd maybe want to meet up and try a few combinations out; they might be just as interested to see how your RH450 sounds through their cabs. A few of us 'Ooop North' regularly do stuff like that and organise mini (3-5 man) bass-bashes, if you you don't have a local pub/club/village Hall that you can access free, local rehearsal rooms are reasonably priced. Might be worth starting a thread off about it and seeing what interest there is in your area!