Why become a member? ×

TC electronics RH 450

FLoydElgar

[quote name='lojo' post='716852' date='Jan 18 2010, 05:59 PM']Do these have any directional issue when stacked or do you get a good even spread around a small venue?[/quote]

I find that stacking them vertically is great in a small venue, so in cramped circumstances you can hear yourself at ear level when you're standing right next to them and the sound does seem to spread around the venue as well. The cabs are also rear ported so the sound gets out front and back.

I think with three TC cabs the head is allowed to run at just above 2 ohms, but because TC designed the cabinets, and they know their exact, you are only allowed to use three TC cabs. If its another manufacturer, the standard 4 ohms minimum applies.

If you ask me, they are a very good price, and they still have the proper ceramic thump.

Ive heard + and - about which combination to use, but despite the 'dont mix drivers' argument, the 210 + 212 sounds fantastic. I have gone for 2 2x10 for now as I want to have a vertical 4x10, (the more punch side of things). I would like an RS212 to mix with them....but thats further down the line. TBH, at £469 for the 2x12, thats REALLY cheap.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='717387' date='Jan 19 2010, 12:06 AM']Combo cabs!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~TC-Electronic-RS210C~ID~13116.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~T...0C~ID~13116.asp[/url]

TBH, im not bothered about the space for the amp. Good idea, but its surely just easier to have them all separate?![/quote]

Fine if your stacking vertical, but if you end up with 3 cabs (or can they do 4?) then you may stack the traditional way

I like the idea of leaving the head on the table at home to use the mp3 and phones, so id prefer not to keep messing around with retaining screws

Very tempted, would need to sell my little mark ?

[quote name='lojo' post='719395' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:24 PM']could you explain the "new" cab covering issue, I am unclear on this, the guy in the outlet said they could come in, in 2 types?[/quote]

Sure....no probs :)

The old covering on the RS210/212 is the grey powdery rough coating, and TC got a few complaints about it. Its still alright though! Doesnt affect the sound obviously.

They then went through a transition of the same type of material, but an almost black colour, but still matte.

The new covering, seen on the RS112/Combo450 cab and I think the RS410 is smoother, shiny and black. Almost like the spray on the Berg AE series. Its much nicer IMO, hence Ive backordered the new finish. They have also apparently changed where the TC badge is placed.

TC said they should be shipping the 210s in the new finish in late Feb time...but I dont mind if they are a little later.

I think you can order the RS212s in the new finish now, as you can the RS112/Combo450/RS410.

Its good to see they actually listenened to the reviews. It makes the cabs very good value if you ask me. They look good, sound great, and are a nice change for the norm. Oh, and they are much more easy to move from what Im used to.

Thanks

As we both have mark bass heads, how does the RH450 compare power wise?

I would not want anything less than what I get out of my littlemark, which is a decent volume and punch without pushing it

This perhaps is my only concern with this head, don't want to buy then find I push it (like to keep the right side of 12 oclock)

Any ideas, no its hard to say until its gigged

I read a lot of the information on tbass before I purchased it.

Basically, the 450 rating is VERY conservative. It also has active power management, which TC states will basically mean the amp reacts more like a proper tube amp and not 'clip' like a solid state will (prob will do at a point though)....it will just keep pushing.

Most the tbass guys have LM3s/F1s and they have stated the RH450 is louder, no doubt about it. I know watts dont mean a lot, but there was a general consensus that the 450 watts from TC was equal to about 700 Mark Bass watts or 800 Genz watts. Thats just from them though. I must admit, before this I have a Shuttle 9.0 for a bit, and the TC definitely seems to sound massive compared to it. The lows are also really really nice...no lack of low end or sheer girth of bass.

You wont have any volume issues. I think TC are the first micro company to be a little more honest with wattage ratings. Compared to the LM2/3 you should have more power according to the other users.

Basically, its the first micro IMO thats set up for rock/metal/punk etc out of the box, but it also does clean and modern at the same time, (like the Mark Bass). Its got the punch you need in a loud rock setting.

It can sound very 'Ampeg-ish' if you want it to, which is good for such a small amp!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='721160' date='Jan 22 2010, 01:38 PM']I read a lot of the information on tbass before I purchased it.

Basically, the 450 rating is VERY conservative. It also has active power management, which TC states will basically mean the amp reacts more like a proper tube amp and not 'clip' like a solid state will (prob will do at a point though)....it will just keep pushing.

Most the tbass guys have LM3s/F1s and they have stated the RH450 is louder, no doubt about it. I know watts dont mean a lot, but there was a general consensus that the 450 watts from TC was equal to about 700 Mark Bass watts or 800 Genz watts. Thats just from them though. I must admit, before this I have a Shuttle 9.0 for a bit, and the TC definitely seems to sound massive compared to it. The lows are also really really nice...no lack of low end or sheer girth of bass.

You wont have any volume issues. I think TC are the first micro company to be a little more honest with wattage ratings. Compared to the LM2/3 you should have more power according to the other users.

Basically, its the first micro IMO thats set up for rock/metal/punk etc out of the box, but it also does clean and modern at the same time, (like the Mark Bass). Its got the punch you need in a loud rock setting.

It can sound very 'Ampeg-ish' if you want it to, which is good for such a small amp![/quote]

Thanks Musicman, you are being very helpfull, thats almost the last tick I needed

One more if you'd be so kind, do you think 2x210 TCs connected to this amp will be enough without PA support in pubs (inc gardens), small clubs and halls?

I doubt you will say its not loud enough, but volume without punch is what I hate (I know not very technical), but its something I notice, even if what I just said does'nt exist scientifically! so hope you know what I mean

[quote name='lojo' post='721591' date='Jan 22 2010, 07:58 PM']Thanks Musicman, you are being very helpfull, thats almost the last tick I needed

One more if you'd be so kind, do you think 2x210 TCs connected to this amp will be enough without PA support in pubs (inc gardens), small clubs and halls?

I doubt you will say its not loud enough, but volume without punch is what I hate (I know not very technical), but its something I notice, even if what I just said does'nt exist scientifically! so hope you know what I mean[/quote]

I personally have gone for the RS210 x 2....Ive got bigger Aguilar cabs if I do bigger gigs than that, but if im honest I checked with a few owners and they all seemed to say the RS210 hits the sweet spot, and the two together is extremely good! I think the vertical stacking also helps.

Take into account you can always add to it...eg buy an RS212 down the line and the amp will power all three cabs (placed horizontally in this case).

I personally am quite tempted to get an RS212 instead of one of the RS210s......maybe someone can chime in and help? Im replacing a 4x10 so im still going for the 2x10s x 2 for the moment.

[quote name='lojo' post='721135' date='Jan 22 2010, 01:19 PM']Thanks

As we both have mark bass heads, how does the RH450 compare power wise?

I would not want anything less than what I get out of my littlemark, which is a decent volume and punch without pushing it

This perhaps is my only concern with this head, don't want to buy then find I push it (like to keep the right side of 12 oclock)

Any ideas, no its hard to say until its gigged[/quote]

I have a Markbass F500 and TA501 and the RH450 is definately 'louder' and 'punchier' than both these amps.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='721791' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:08 AM']I have a Markbass F500 and TA501 and the RH450 is definately 'louder' and 'punchier' than both these amps.[/quote]

Cheers again guys

So if you can connect 3 cabinets, when only using 1 or 2, how does it limit overall power (I only understand traditional 4 and 8 ohm output)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='722007' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:57 AM']I think its about 300W at 8 ohms, and 450W a 4 ohms.

Ive no idea what happens with 3 TC cabinets. I assume its just very loud! :)[/quote]

so its full output with 2 cabs and the third just spreads it evenly over the 6 drivers?

[quote name='lojo' post='722017' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:08 AM']so its full output with 2 cabs and the third just spreads it evenly over the 6 drivers?[/quote]

I think, although not 100%, that taking it below the 4 ohms will produce more watts, but this is only for the TC cabinets. 4ohm minimum with any other cabs.

[quote name='lojo' post='722997' date='Jan 24 2010, 11:50 AM']I am almost sold on this, subject to actually playing one! also read the long thread on the us site

Musicman, re the new finish, where did you pre order your cabs from? Also are they the same price as the current ones?[/quote]

Hey, ill PM you about this :)

Good pic here of a side by side photo of the two finishes...the old grey rough finish, (RS210) and the new smooth shiny black finish, (RS112).

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8505306&postcount=479"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...p;postcount=479[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

This is a comment re: the change in covering from an outlet

"There is a new finish which is a shiny finish, the 210s I have in stock have a matt finish but are not as rough to touch as the first batch - I have 212s in the new shiny finish and whilst it looks nice it is no more hard wearing than the matt cabs and offers less grip when stacking which isn't so good. Personally I don't think that it is an issue at all (except on the forums!) and as they come with gig bags to protect them it really does not matter - plus if you do scuff the matt finish it is easy to wipe clean again (plus I do have touch up paint of you know off the finish)."

I am trying to decide to wait or go with the current, so I asked the question via email

Damn,
Up to a bout 15mins ago my i never thought i would need to replace my MB heads, ever.

Then i stupidly read this thread (i came via the MarloweDK website as he has one) and now im going to sell my SA450 and LMII.

The LMII was going to go anyway as i dont really use it much but if this TC electronic RH450 is as good as you all say ill replace my SA450 with one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='727717' date='Jan 28 2010, 03:49 PM']Damn,
Up to a bout 15mins ago my i never thought i would need to replace my MB heads, ever.

Then i stupidly read this thread (i came via the MarloweDK website as he has one) and now im going to sell my SA450 and LMII.

The LMII was going to go anyway as i dont really use it much but if this TC electronic RH450 is as good as you all say ill replace my SA450 with one.[/quote]

I love mine, but have a test. They are very versatile, but what sold it for me was the more 'rock' tone this amp can do, (on addition to many others!)