Why become a member? ×

TC electronics RH 450

FLoydElgar

Hey chaps

Well, its done and dusted now. The Shuttle 9.0 is going back as there appears to be some problems with my particular unit. I am also convinced ‘it is not the tone I am looking for’, (Star Wars moment).

However, GAS is still with me for a great full featured new micro, so I have now ordered the TC Electronics RH450, RH450 Bag and RC4 Floor Pedal.

Believe it or not, I managed to get it for even cheaper in the end for the package from the Bass Merchant guys…so that’s another saving which is great. Kudos to them for being so helpful.

I did ask around about the units at £699, and apparently one store in particular had them up for that as they had two ex-demo amps…which im not really willing to go for. Id rather pay the extra £40 and get a brand new sealed unit.

Im actually looking at the cabs as well….you can use 3 at once which is just crazy…but I probably should just leave it at the amp

Anyways, I’ll report back when it all comes in. Looking forward to the Tecamp M212 + TC combination….and the Berg HS410….that will be interesting!

Cheers

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='671818' date='Dec 2 2009, 08:34 AM']The TC RH450 has a great sound, not at all thin and not at all 'puny' despite the 450 watts (its only a number). You probably need to try it. TalkBass have a long thread with overwhelming positive comment.

Peter[/quote]

what do you mean not at all puny despite the 450Watts??? Are we all playing 1000+ capacity venues or something?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='673022' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:55 AM']what do you mean not at all puny despite the 450Watts??? Are we all playing 1000+ capacity venues or something?[/quote]

Strange comment?

You don't do irony?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Musicman20' post='690122' date='Dec 20 2009, 08:37 PM']I just got this amp. I am stunned about how good this sounds. The videos online are good, but nothing prepares you for how tube like this amp is.

It is very well designed, almost like the Apple of the bass world.[/quote]

Heh - although I'm a PC I have to agree with that comment :)

In addition, I was incredibly impressed with the RS210 + 212 Chris let me test today at BMerchant.

Vastly underrated, I agree with TBass users that they are very very nice. I think it's the ceramic that does it for me...so warm. The 210 has perfect clarity n punch, and the 212 sounds HUGE.

I tested a Lakland JO5 with it, the Passive B was AMAZING.

Don't be fooled by the fact they aren't as expensive as some high end makers. Half of this is the non neo thing.

Gigged with my new RH450 for the first time at the weekend. What a fabulous amp! Matched with my two Purple Chili 112 cabs it sounde warm, full, punchy and tight all at the same time. I love the semi-parametrics on all four tone controls too. And even though it's got a few bells and whistles it's still really easy and intuitive to use - and the bells and whistles actually add to your sound rather than detract from it too!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I was a non believer with TC until I actually tried one properly. Some of the stores have really badly EQ'd them and knocked down the preset volume. I tested one for 20 mins at Bass Merchant yesterday, and I was literally in awe of how good it sounds. The tube tone really does work well.

It is, IMO, the best micro amp out there. And I've tested a fair few. I imagine the Mesa Walkabout head on its own is a very good competitor, with amazing sound, but the TC features work so well, (eg, unlike certain amps, its features do something....I am not a fan of cheap presets for example...and Ive never seen the point, apart from 1 of the Trace ones which I loved!).

I'm not sure I could be in awe of an amp but I do think my RH450 is the best bass amp I've played and/or owned, and - at 46 years old and having played for 30 years - I've been through Marshall, Acoustic, Peavey, Peterson, Markbass, Trace Elliot, Genz Benz. So - RH450: not only a fantastic sounding amp, it cures GAS too!

+1 I've had Mesa's,Ampegs, Sunns,TE,Markbass mostly Valve amps and my RH450 + TC 212+210 gets so close to the Tube amps sound wise it's amazing,I think the TC cabs make a lot of difference to the head TBH with being vertical aligned and work so well together-you get the sound right at ear level with very little volume.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='692087' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:24 AM']+1 I've had Mesa's,Ampegs, Sunns,TE,Markbass mostly Valve amps and my RH450 + TC 212+210 gets so close to the Tube amps sound wise it's amazing,I think the TC cabs make a lot of difference to the head TBH with being vertical aligned and work so well together-you get the sound right at ear level with very little volume.[/quote]

Yeah, I've done something similar with my PC cabs by putting them on a small, old cut-down hi fi stand I had lying around. Worked a treat at the weekend and you hear exactly what's pumping out front.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Anyone have the copy of Bass Guitar Magazine review of the RH450 in issue 43? I only started subscribing at issue 44, and the BGM website doesn't let you examine the full article, for some reason...

PM me if you like. Happy nearly New Year everybody!

Pete

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='692087' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:24 AM']+1 I've had Mesa's,Ampegs, Sunns,TE,Markbass mostly Valve amps and my RH450 + TC 212+210 gets so close to the Tube amps sound wise it's amazing,I think the TC cabs make a lot of difference to the head TBH with being vertical aligned and work so well together-you get the sound right at ear level with very little volume.[/quote]

Agreed its very tubey!

[quote name='funkle' post='697490' date='Dec 31 2009, 07:19 PM']Hi all

Anyone have the copy of Bass Guitar Magazine review of the RH450 in issue 43? I only started subscribing at issue 44, and the BGM website doesn't let you examine the full article, for some reason...

PM me if you like. Happy nearly New Year everybody!

Pete[/quote]

I think they have the review on the TC site....

[quote name='Musicman20' post='697511' date='Dec 31 2009, 07:37 PM']I think they have the review on the TC site....[/quote]

I found quite a few reviews, but not the BGM one, sadly. Anyone able to help out and send me a link to it, if such a thing can be found?

Pete

[quote name='funkle' post='697732' date='Jan 1 2010, 08:27 AM']I found quite a few reviews, but not the BGM one, sadly. Anyone able to help out and send me a link to it, if such a thing can be found?

Pete[/quote]

Never mind.

It was a browser problem. The link at the BGM website works fine in Firefox, but not in Opera.

Pete