Why become a member? ×

PASS IT ON: memoirs of a geezer by wah wobble

ahpook

thought i'd stick this on the basschat merry-go-round, as we did with guy pratt's book.

prolly best described as a 'warts and all' tale of the ex-PiL bassist's upbringing, life during the punk years and after, it's very much his outlook on life as much as an account of what happened.

PM me with your address and i'll bung it into the post for you - and if you fancy putting some funds into the basschat coffers, all the better. when you're done with it...pass it on.

saw him last year with his chinese dub orchestra.... love the beefiness of the Ovation Magnum. For that please put me down on the list. Will forward the details to whomever I have to.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassJase' post='685322' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:51 PM']Got the Jar Wobbly book through in the post this morning thanks my good man, and as soon as I've vread it I'll get it passed on to the next worthy applicant. :)

Cheers matey, you are a scholar and a gentleman. :rolleyes:[/quote]

hey - glad it arrived ok...sorry for the delay in getting it to you - xmas got well and truly in the way.

i hope you enjoy it

:lol:

Edited by ahpook

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got round to finishig this book last night, and it's really good in a non-bassist kind of way.
It's much more about him and his life in London than anything else, but a great and inspirational read. Who's next on the list?
PM me you address whoever it is and I'll get it sent off within the next few days. :)

[quote name='BassJase' post='712436' date='Jan 14 2010, 12:09 PM']Well I finally got round to finishig this book last night, and it's really good in a non-bassist kind of way.
It's much more about him and his life in London than anything else, but a great and inspirational read. Who's next on the list?
PM me you address whoever it is and I'll get it sent off within the next few days. :)[/quote]

I think that'll be me - PM'd.

Anyway I've extrapolated a list for future reference:

Bassjase
[b]Me[/b]
BassKS
Rich
Bassmonkey
Baboom
MacDaddy

:rolleyes:

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='739054' date='Feb 8 2010, 04:09 PM']Don't hold your breath - I haven't had it off BassJase yet! I did tell him there was no hurry, though.

J.[/quote]

Yeah sometimes I take things too easy and drag my arse about doing anything, sorry amigo!
But I put it in the post to you today so you should have it by about Thursday fella, cheers and ta for waiting. :)

[quote name='BassJase' post='740494' date='Feb 9 2010, 11:44 PM']Yeah sometimes I take things too easy and drag my arse about doing anything, sorry amigo!
But I put it in the post to you today so you should have it by about Thursday fella, cheers and ta for waiting. :)[/quote]
No problem - dropped through my door this morning as it happens!

So cheers - I'll get stuck into it over lunch, I think. :rolleyes:

Jon.

• 1 month later...

Finished this now & BassKS has been PM'd.

Very good read, in my opinion, he's a good & very readable writer. I'm not as familiar with his music as perhaps I should be but he comes across as very idealistic, positively uncompromising & visionary in what he wants to achieve musically. Given that bassist/bandleader/composers are relatively uncommon it's quite an inspiring insight into how a successful career can be maintained, especially making music that's "against the grain".

He doesn't talk specifically about bass playing very much, but this bit did make me grin:

[quote]I now realise that when you accept bass as (essentially) an emanation of God (at gut level), as the "ground" of existence, let alone music, you make a friend of impermanence, everything vibrates, moves, is in a state of flux, therefore the fear of losing what you have, or of not getting what (you think) you want, diminishes. You will truly ride the rhythm, you will reside in the resonance of Om, to you the open E string becomes spiritually vehicular. You can ride the sonic boom to heaven.[/quote]

I love the idea & philosophy but I'm usually too busy trying to remember what note comes next...

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='771022' date='Mar 10 2010, 10:30 PM']Finished this now & BassKS has been PM'd.

Very good read, in my opinion, he's a good & very readable writer. I'm not as familiar with his music as perhaps I should be but he comes across as very idealistic, positively uncompromising & visionary in what he wants to achieve musically. Given that bassist/bandleader/composers are relatively uncommon it's quite an inspiring insight into how a successful career can be maintained, especially making music that's "against the grain".

He doesn't talk specifically about bass playing very much, but this bit did make me grin:

I love the idea & philosophy but I'm usually too busy trying to remember what note comes next...

J.[/quote]

Ha ha, that'll be Jah!

So I reckon list now looks like........

Bassjase *
Bassassasin *
BassKS *
Rich
ME
Baboom
MacDaddy

Lets see how long this one can do the rounds eh?
Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BassKS

Hi Lads,

Finished it last night on the London-Sheffield National Express coach. What a splendid read. The guy is a proper hard cockney nut.
Who's next?