Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - It's here, FULL review and PIX

Moos3h

[quote name='baixo' post='678679' date='Dec 9 2009, 12:13 AM']Hi there,

I got a Bass Terror last weekend, tried in the shop with a TC 2x10 cab and the guys in shop said that building was vibrating. Got home, hooked it up to my Aguilar DB410 cab just to give it a quick try, and within 5 minutes next door complained saying that I was making too much noise (more than the usual...). Band practice last night, comments from the guys in the band "is going too be loud enough, it is only a very small amp - turn it up to see how loud it goes?", I think that they regreted the last comment when I turned the volume up to 12 o'clock - THIS AMP IS VERY LOUD

Moos3h review is pretty accurate, I love it so far and works very well with my DB410 cab

[attachment=37979:Orange_B...Ric_4003.jpg]

At first I assumed that the Bass Terror had a std active EQ with cut and boost as the legend on the front panel shows a zero at 12 o'clock, but the EQ is definitely passive as when the bass, mid and treble are all at minimum position no sound comes out. Even with passive EQ you can get quite a lot of variation from the EQ, with most settings being very usable.

Yes, the fan is noisy but not really noticeable in a band situation. I had a look at the fan and this looks like a std 80mm PC Case cooling fan, so I am considering replacing it with a silent (quiet) PC Case fan as this looks very easy to do assuming that runs at 12V supply (a high end "silent" PC fan will cost between £8 and £15).

I think that my Ampeg SVT-2 Pro is going to be up for sale very soon

Cheers
Joao[/quote]

That setup just oozes cool. Orange amps and Aguilar cabs work really well, hence why I went for some as well as the Orange ones.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='691809' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:39 PM']That setup just oozes cool. Orange amps and Aguilar cabs work really well, hence why I went for some as well as the Orange ones.[/quote]

That's me sold!
My LittleMark will be up for sale in the New Year

[quote name='JD1' post='692060' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:39 AM']Used it at a rehearsal for the first time last night. Impressed. Quite fat and growly - not unlike the person playing it, so we should get on well.[/quote]

That sounds awesome mate, "fat and growly", just how I like my woman... :)

Eude

Just used it for a new years eve gig rehearsal. Totally different to the last time I used it (heavy rock trio). This one is a jazz / swing type affair. Backed the gain off for a cleaner sound - still plenty of volume but still a bit of grit when I dug in. Eude - you would be smitten as it was still fat and slightly argumentative! (You really need to have a night out in Newcastle mate).

Not a problem (actually really nice) but based on my initial forays, totally clean isn't this amp's forte. I'm concerned about the related thread on the DI being too hot though - can anyone shed any more light on this?

[quote name='JD1' post='696000' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:23 PM']Just used it for a new years eve gig rehearsal. Totally different to the last time I used it (heavy rock trio). This one is a jazz / swing type affair. Backed the gain off for a cleaner sound - still plenty of volume but still a bit of grit when I dug in. Eude - you would be smitten as it was still fat and slightly argumentative! (You really need to have a night out in Newcastle mate).

Not a problem (actually really nice) but based on my initial forays, totally clean isn't this amp's forte. I'm concerned about the related thread on the DI being too hot though - can anyone shed any more light on this?[/quote]
you can't get a clean sound out of the orange?

Had a go with one it was alot better than i expected, it didn't do great cranked sounds like i was expecting it did cop some good motown sounds though, not alot going in the low or high end alot in the low mids though like you'd expect from an orange.

[quote name='obbm' post='695618' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:34 AM']Just had a mailshot from Soundslive offering 15% off Orange again. That brings the Bass Terror down to £381.65 plus postage. Discount code is "ORA15".[/quote]
That site has them WAY cheaper than here in the US.
Thanks

Also, has anyone played DB through these?

[quote name='fingeringAm' post='696934' date='Dec 31 2009, 07:56 AM']That site has them WAY cheaper than here in the US.[/quote]

Hardly surprising - try comparing the price of, say, Eden amps in the States with what they cost over here!

I bought an Eden WTX500 at discount in the States for $500 (£320) a few months ago. Had I bought exactly the same amp from an Eden dealer in London it would have cost nearly £700 ($1100), and I'd have done well to haggle it down to £600 ($950).

By the time our respective governments have finished slapping import duty and sales tax on these things, they routinely cost 50% more than their starting point.

It's called "Free Trade".

:)

[quote name='JD1' post='696000' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:23 PM']Just used it for a new years eve gig rehearsal. Totally different to the last time I used it (heavy rock trio). This one is a jazz / swing type affair. Backed the gain off for a cleaner sound - still plenty of volume but still a bit of grit when I dug in. Eude - you would be smitten as it was still fat and slightly argumentative! (You really need to have a night out in Newcastle mate).

Not a problem (actually really nice) but based on my initial forays, totally clean isn't this amp's forte. I'm concerned about the related thread on the DI being too hot though - can anyone shed any more light on this?[/quote]

Hey man,
thanks so much for this.
Once I've got my stuff in order his year, I'll be selling my LittleMark, I've got serious GAS for the Terror Bass, or should that be AAS?... :)

Anyone out there in need of a LittleMark250?...

Cheers,
Eude

On the actual gig I had the gain way back at about 9:00 and the sound remained relatively clean even when digging in - and volume was still impressive. See related thread under amps and cabs on the DI. NB - up to now all playing done through an Epi UL310 series 2.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1009028' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:31 PM']Good stuff. Had Chris Payne of the Members gassing for one after we shared it last gig.

The 40db attenuator is a must at only a fiver.[/quote]

a forty db attenuator? Wouldnt that reduce the power to one ten thousandth ? A four db attenuator would reduce it to approx one third of its original power.
Unless i have it completely back to front? Its been nearly a decade since I skimmed elctronics at college.

Quick update on the OTB......
Been using it as the main gigging set up since the beginning of the year, mainly using the SP210 cab. The band have been mightily impressed with the set up, and so has my back!!!! There hasn't been one situation where the head hasn't coped admirably. I've also used the head with an Ashdown stack of two ABM2x10 cabs at a couple of festivals, one playing my Dean Pace EUB through it.
Yes, i'm still in love with it!!! :)

Nige

[quote name='daz' post='1009236' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:16 AM']a forty db attenuator? Wouldnt that reduce the power to one ten thousandth ? A four db attenuator would reduce it to approx one third of its original power.
Unless i have it completely back to front? Its been nearly a decade since I skimmed elctronics at college.[/quote]

Iknow nothing about electrickery.
I do know the DI signal is too hot for a few sound people to deal with at the desk. This cuts down the output to managable levels for them.

I've joined the club too! so happy with it so far. Done three gigs with it last week and it was flawless. Running mine through an Ampeg 410 HLF cab and its very loud!

The DI is far too hot as people have mentioned. I've been having to use a DI box at gigs to avoid using it.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1009028' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:31 PM']The 40db attenuator is a must at only a fiver.[/quote]

Can you let me know where I might be able to get one of these please matey? Might save all my DI woes and will keep the sound guys happy at gigs!

[quote name='Shire' post='1009439' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:30 AM']Running mine through an Ampeg 410 HLF cab and its very loud![/quote]
I have exactly the same set up, phat as!!! And i've just put my new Delano pick ups in my jazz....amazing sound, can't wait to gig it. :)

Used last night at a reggae/dub rehearsal......wow- i was actually planning to use this just for rehearsal with my Ampeg being my main rig!

First time i've ever had to turn the bass dial down, very phat sounding. I like the bits of valve vibe too although i like a smoothish phat tone but the valves give a lovely smooth warmth that i love.

I Used the Bass Terror into an Ampeg SVT4x10HLF using a Mex jazz with Delano pick ups fitted. Love it!

They certainly have plenty of bass!

I set mine out of 10.
Volume - whatever I can get away with. Which is usually about 3, Bass - 5 (flat), Mid - 3, Treble - 6.5. Gain 5.
Through a TC RS210 and RS112. Both with the horns off.
Precision with a Thumper and rounds.
Nice in your face, grindy bass sound. Winding the tone back gives a good dub sound too.