Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - It's here, FULL review and PIX

Moos3h

I used my BT for the first time in anger at a practice last night. Paired with the Matamp 212 it was a recipe for disaster. This thing is loud, and i mean stupidly so. I had the volume on the first level and gain at the 3rd line and that was all i needed to keep up with the band. The one problem i had was the head going walkabouts on top of the cab...

I couldn't crank it much more, because when i did, i induced nausea in the vocalist. It is a setup that has exceeded any expectations. I didn't know £850 could make that sort of sound at that level, i'm a very happy chap indeed.

[quote name='TheButler' post='680018' date='Dec 10 2009, 10:53 AM']I used my BT for the first time in anger at a practice last night. Paired with the Matamp 212 it was a recipe for disaster. This thing is loud, and i mean stupidly so. I had the volume on the first level and gain at the 3rd line and that was all i needed to keep up with the band. The one problem i had was the head going walkabouts on top of the cab...

I couldn't crank it much more, because when i did, i induced nausea in the vocalist. It is a setup that has exceeded any expectations. I didn't know £850 could make that sort of sound at that level, i'm a very happy chap indeed.[/quote]

Nice one dude,
Glad it's working out!
Had a wee shot of one of these this week in Red Dog, came a away a little unenthusiastic, but I hadn't been told about the passive tone stack and I was playing quietly through a Hartke 4X10, not my kinda cab, with a lifeless MIM P Bass with dead strings and really high action.
Well out of my comfort zone...
I still need to try it with my Shuker and my Aguilar cab.

Still cool to give you a shout next week matey?

Eude

Played a Bass Terror last saturday for about half an hour through one of the SP210 isobaric cabs, with the eq flat, gain and volume at just past twelve o'clock, and using my Stingray.
The volume on tap is phenomenal, and if you like the sound of valves breaking up, it'ds the way forward.

Roll on saturday when i go and buy it. :)

edit for spelling, d'oh

Edited by yorick

[quote name='yorick' post='685295' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:31 PM']Played a Bass Terror kast saturday for about half an hour through one of the SP210 isobaric cabs, with the eq flat, gain and volume at just past twelve o'clock, and using my Stingray.
The volume on tap is phenomenal, and if you like the sound of valves breaking up, it'ds the way forward.

Roll on saturday when i go and but it. :)[/quote]

Hey man,
how was the SP210 cab?
Just wondering if the claims by Orange about phenomenal low end where true.
Also, what was the weight like?

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='685302' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:38 PM']Hey man,
how was the SP210 cab?
Just wondering if the claims by Orange about phenomenal low end where true.
Also, what was the weight like?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

The bottom end rivals any cab i've ever heard, apart from an ACOUSTIC 360 rig i had in the late eighties.
Weight wise, i reckon no more than 15kg for the cab.

[quote name='yorick' post='685357' date='Dec 15 2009, 04:14 PM']The bottom end rivals any cab i've ever heard, apart from an ACOUSTIC 360 rig i had in the late eighties.
Weight wise, i reckon no more than 15kg for the cab.[/quote]

Thanks dude :)
Useful info indeed.
That's a fairly light cab for a 2X10 too!
I'm almost certain I'll be getting one of these badboys soon, but it might be nice to have a matching cab, black (which I'm sure I found online somewhere), especially if it's a 4 ohm jobby, to tease out the full 500W, and at that size and weight it'd be even more portable than my MarkBass - Aguilar set up I have right now.
It'll take a lot to make me part with the Auguilar cab though, so I'll have to be dead sure :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Eude

This bloody web-site is now doing serious damage.

I had NO interest in Orange kit at all until the weekend, when I started reading reviews of the Bass Terror.

I've just spent 20 minutes playing a Bass Terror through an Orange 410 (the back-to-back pairs thingy) in the PA Centre in Denmark Street and I'm more or less converted.

Want one.

Could everyone now please stop posting reviews of new kit.

Thanks.

Just picked one up. Yet to use it at gig volume but it is scary loud. Definitely some nice gnarly sounds with the gain at 1:00 onwards - although not at low volume! Yet to fathom out this passive tone mullarkey though.

Putting it through an Epi UL310 @ 5.3 ohms - I'm assuming I select 4 ohms not 8 - any advice folks?

errrrrrr..
wanted something lighter than me flightcased svt classic..so thinking was if its that good buy it then flog the ampeg..

so...i bought one from live music in peterborough, for a very reasonable £450, with its fabbo padded flightbag.
in the shop it sounded awesome, like the unholy bastard child of a first gen point to point wired hiwatt and early ampeg ....had to have it
at the gig that night it was plenty loud enough, but just didnt deliver the bottom end of me all valve ampeg..which was to be expected really. Dont think me mesa cab helped being a Ev loaded 4x10, there aint many amps can tame the bugger, a 2x15 may have made a world of difference but i aint got one..
if i was in a financial position to have it as a second amp would have undoubtably kept it, but can only afford one, so the ampeg stayed, and the orange went back to the shop next day. fantastic little amp. far better value for money than my ampeg was all those years ago.....but i guess i'll have to grow old (older)with the heavy 'un :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='689196' date='Dec 19 2009, 04:45 PM']How loud is it with that lil cab? Can it keep up with a band? :)[/quote]

Only had it at half volume in the shop, so can't tell for definite. Hopefully over xmas i'll get to really rag it. Updates to follow.