Why become a member? ×

Shuker 5 String Thru-neck

EntropicLqd

[quote name='Mike' post='48698' date='Aug 22 2007, 07:54 AM']It's looking great, Entropic. Can't wait to read a review. What sort of music do you play?
When you go to pick it up, is there any chance of you taking any snaps of mine (if you're taking a camera of course!)?....[/quote]
I'm in a couple of covers band (links in sig.) but it's basically blues/pop/rock. Both of the bands I'm in cover a reasonably diverse range of music so I almost get to do a bit of everything.

If you PM me the details then I'll do my best to take a camera with me when I go down next week. I can't promise I'll remember the camera (or to take any pics.) as old age has trashed my mental faculties somewhat .. but I'll do my best.

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='49317' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:07 AM']Good to see you last night Darren!
And looking forward to having a shufty at the Shuker next Thursday if it works out for you to call in.[/quote]
Likewise. It was a most pleasant suprise.

It's looking like I'll be going down to Jon's on Thursday afternoon so I'll definately give you a call when I leave. Wouldn't mind checking out that upright of yours :)

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='50415' date='Aug 24 2007, 10:20 PM']Likewise. It was a most pleasant suprise.

It's looking like I'll be going down to Jon's on Thursday afternoon so I'll definately give you a call when I leave. Wouldn't mind checking out that upright of yours :)[/quote]

Good stuff Darren - should be home around about 5:30 - 6 ish tomorrow. Hope that fits in with your timings.

Looking forward to seeing your new Shuker beaut!

David

For those of you confused about the above two replies ... the pictures were posted in the wrong thread. It could have been my fault but I blame the pixies that live in the cable between my PC and the Internet. I think they decided to have a bit of fun and re-route the pictures. Anyway, I've now posted them in the correct thread....

Here are some pictures. They don't even come close to doing the bass justice.

The front of the bass:

And now the back of the bass:

It was taken out gigging tonight ... I'll provide my first impressions tomorrow after I've had some much needed sleep.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='53653' date='Aug 31 2007, 11:39 PM']... I'll provide my first impressions tomorrow after I've had some much needed sleep....[/quote]
Well, a few days late I guess but circumstances left me somewhat bereft of time.

I should say before I get into the main report that I've been playing the same right-handed bass upside down for around 15 years. I've probably only played regularly for half that, but I guess intermitten noodles still count.

The first thing I noticed was that the controls are in the wrong place. Or rather, the controls are in the right place. It didn't take long get get used to the fact that the volume control was at the bottom of the bass instead of the top but it was a bit weird for a while.

The second thing I noticed was the balance. The bass balances completely differently to my trusty old Hohner. It angles itself facing slightly up rather than trying to fall forwards all the time. It still feels a bit odd even now but I'm getting used to it. I've also shortened my strap considerably to compensate for the new balance.

OK, into the first song, half-way through I realised I couldn't hear anything. I'd managed to catch the mute button (my volume control has a push-push mute on it). A quick push and we're back in business. Except did it again in the second and third songs. I was beginning to think that I'd have to go back to Jon and get the mute removed when I stopped doing it. I've not done it since in a few "bouncy" playing sessions so I suspect I've changed my playing style to suit.

One of the songs we played uses an e-bow within the introduction. On the Hohner this is always a bit of a nightmare as even after killing all of the treble the e-bow amplifies any movement across the strings sometimes which can give it a very harsh sound. Anyway, I killed the volume from the back pick-up and went for it. Apart from odd reductions in volume where I kept losing the hot-spot on the pick-up (just practice that's all) it sounded great. A world apart from the Hohner. So a big thumbs up there.

Hmm, what else. The action is beautifully even, and fretting a note is much less effort now. I've been noodling up above the 15th fret for the first time ever (the strap prevented me from getting beyond the 15th before. Last night I discovered that tapping is more than possible, so I might be stealing a hair-scrunchy from one of my daughters and experimenting a bit with that.

So there you go. Some first impressions. I don't really need to go on about how lovely it is to look at. But it is lovely.

I did a couple of recordings, straight from the bass into my PC. I can't vouch for the playing much but it'll give you an idea of the sound of the bass as recorded directly without ay effects or filters or anything.
[url="http://www.snout-clan.co.uk/stuff/bass/shuker_sample_1.mp3"]chordy stuff[/url]
[url="http://www.snout-clan.co.uk/stuff/bass/shuker_sample_2.mp3"]a short noodle[/url]

Anyways, I love my new Shuker bass to bits. To the point where my wife accused me of being more in love with my bass than her. :) (I wisely didn't comment).

Hey man thats a lovely bit o Shuker you got goin there! Makes me wanna get another!

I really didn't think that Bubble Gum would make a suitable top, but it looks fantastic!! What flavour is it?? Cola Bubbliscious? Sorry, Bad one! Couldn't resist! Must get sense of humour Transplant!

Enjoy!
Big G!

As yes a common problem. may I suggest you buy her a copy of
[url="http://www.mikelull.com/images/Lull_jackson.jpg"]"My Wife Thinks I Love My Jon Shuker Bass More Than Her (and I think she may be right)"[/url]
by Sheila Kitsinger and Anna Raeburn
Published by Relate
ISBN 1-040-130

Edited by OldGit

And there's the feminist version "Your Husband Loves His Jon Shuker Bass More Than He Loves You (Which Makes Him An Even Bigger Bastard Than The Rest Of The Men, All Of Whom Are Of Course Bastards Anyway)" by Germaine Gruesome and Fem Braburner.

[quote name='Rich' post='55903' date='Sep 5 2007, 01:05 PM']And there's the feminist version "Your Husband Loves His Jon Shuker Bass More Than He Loves You (Which Makes Him An Even Bigger Bastard Than The Rest Of The Men, All Of Whom Are Of Course Bastards Anyway)" by Germaine Gruesome and Fem Braburner.[/quote]

Maybe there's scope for a self help group, blog and meetings for all the Shuker Widows and Widowers .. (are there any Shuker Widowers?)

[quote name='OldGit' post='55918' date='Sep 5 2007, 01:22 PM']"bimble box bookmatched top and coolibah bookmatched rear face"
Waaaaaaaah! Damn damn damn damn!
Damn you Mr Shuker and your gorgeous way with wood ..
Well I thought I had my next one all specced out but having seen that I'm changing my mind again ...[/quote]
Well, as far as I know Jon only had the single piece of Bimblebox .. and he's not sure where he'd be able to get any more.

However, I know that when he picked up the Coolibah for the back and headstock he picked up a couple of additional pieces.

@[b]OldGit[/b] - I'll have to show that "book" to the wife. We'll see if she tries to order me a copy :)

@[b]alexclaber[/b] - The pick-up locations were selected by Jon. I was more interested in making sure I had a left-handed bass strung right-handed.