Why become a member? ×

First Gig as a Fan

stu_g

Showaddywaddy, early '80's. Queens Theatre North Devon. Taken by my parents.

First gig on my own (well with mates) punk band called The Vibe Tribe (formerly The Cult Maniax) somewhere in North Devon, but I can't remember the year. Probably early 90's. Brilliant night.

Rock Against Racism / Anti Nazi League free festival, Victoria Park, April 30th 1978: The Clash, X-Ray Spex, Steel Pulse & Tom Robinson Band (who I missed).

The bands were great but my abiding memory is the march from Trafalgar Square to Victoria Park. 80,000 punks, skins, rockers, rastas - plus me & my little bunch of mates from school. I'll never forget marching along with a group of gay skinheads from Brick Lane, bellowing out Glad To Be Gay. :) A pivotal moment in my life.

Jon.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='668341' date='Nov 28 2009, 03:06 PM']Monsters of Rock 1988

Helloween
Megadeth
Guns n Roses
David Lee Roth
Kiss
Iron Maiden

:rolleyes:

still have the tee shirt.[/quote]

I was there.Never forget the stampede when Guns came on,seriously dangerous.
I was wondering why Megadeth were so bad,but Mr.Mustaine nearly died afterwards apparently.
I was a fan of Helloween,but I wasn't too impressed with them there.

The rest were good,and Maiden played a blinder :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='acidbass' post='668459' date='Nov 28 2009, 04:53 PM']Mine was:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age (w/ Dave Grohl drumming)
Feeder
PJ Harvey
Morcheeba

...at Slane Castle, Ireland, Summer 2003 :rolleyes:[/quote]
Lucky Sod :).

My first gig was Fingathing in colchester.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='668341' date='Nov 28 2009, 04:06 PM']Monsters of Rock 1988

Helloween
Megadeth
Guns n Roses
David Lee Roth
Kiss
Iron Maiden

:rolleyes:

still have the tee shirt.[/quote]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='668513' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:34 PM']I was there.Never forget the stampede when Guns came on,seriously dangerous.
I was wondering why Megadeth were so bad,but Mr.Mustaine nearly died afterwards apparently.
I was a fan of Helloween,but I wasn't too impressed with them there.

The rest were good,and Maiden played a blinder :)[/quote]

My first as a fan too. If I were to list my favourite bands at the time, they were all playing that festival. Great times.

[quote name='beardybass' post='668037' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:50 AM']Pitchshifter with Sona Fariq and the Workhorse Movement, at Northumbria Uni. Not sure when, good few years ago though, It were a good 'un.[/quote]
2000 or 2001 I think. Funnily enough my first unaccompanied gig was the Glasgow date of the same tour, although I'd been to see Garbage, Idlewild and Belle and Sebastian (I think) play for the opening of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh with my dad which must have been 2000. Seems like longer than that!

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='668017' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:28 AM']October 5th, 1972 - Hawkwind at the Sundown, Mile End, in London.[/quote]
I remember seeing both Genesis and Fleetwood Mac (separately) at the Sundown around 72/73?
My first gig might have been around 1971(?) - Fleetwood Mac, still with Danny Kirwan, at Queen Mary College, Mile End.
Can't remember for sure. Guess I must have really been there! :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='668856' date='Nov 29 2009, 01:23 AM']I remember seeing both Genesis and Fleetwood Mac (separately) at the Sundown around 72/73?
My first gig might have been around 1971(?) - Fleetwood Mac, still with Danny Kirwan, at Queen Mary College, Mile End.
Can't remember for sure. Guess I must have really been there! :)[/quote]

The Sundown was a great venue - one of a few of disused cinemas that had their seats taken out and re-branded as Sundown. I also saw The Who circa 1974 at the Sundown in Edmonton.

In (unsuccessfully) trying to find out more about those venues, I came across this eBay ad:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLADE-:-Original-Ticket-:-London-Sundown-1972-:-VGC_W0QQitemZ250519293491QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091104?IMSfp=TL091104174002r484"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLADE-:-Original-Tic...91104174002r484[/url]

Original ticket price to see Slade - £1 !! Used ticket now sold for £25 !

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='668969' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:59 AM']The Sundown was a great venue - one of a few of disused cinemas that had their seats taken out and re-branded as Sundown. I also saw The Who circa 1974 at the Sundown in Edmonton.

In (unsuccessfully) trying to find out more about those venues, I came across this eBay ad:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLADE-:-Original-Ticket-:-London-Sundown-1972-:-VGC_W0QQitemZ250519293491QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091104?IMSfp=TL091104174002r484"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLADE-:-Original-Tic...91104174002r484[/url]

Original ticket price to see Slade - £1 !! Used ticket now sold for £25 ![/quote]
Crikey! Maybe I should dig out my own tickets and other memorabilia that I said I'd never get rid of! :) (I jest, of course!).
I remember the Sundown, Edmonton - don't think I saw any gigs there though.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='669174' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:34 PM']I am sure half these gigs have been made up to make people sound cool when actually it was The Nolans or Black Lace.

Mine was The Thompson Twins in 1984 at the Brighton Centre.[/quote]
Hah - made up gig for sure! :rolleyes: