Why become a member? ×

Laney Valve 400w-anyone tried/seen????

rodl2005

Prices are out!

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74785"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74785[/url]

That's a lot of cash for a Laney...... let's hope it is very good.

Still, nothing quite as piss-taking as Markbass :)

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74450"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74450[/url]

Art thou on crack?!

Whilst that mar*b*ss is obviously clever, I hate to think it would put people off buying other tube heads on the premise that keeping one running correctly is impossible for anyone but a microprocessor! Suppose I better throw away my 'Ageing/retired' trace then because I am unable to turn a knob and bias it myself.

Coming next from markbass, ready buttered bread!

I spoke to the bass guy at Project Music in Exeter when I was looking at new gear about 2 months ago, and he had just ordered his, and was awaiting delvery, which must have happened by now!

They are Laney dealers, but mostly the usual Richter stuff (been there, don't even think of doing it!!), so the shop's may be slightly sales biased, but I think you would certainly get a personal opinion from him! I cannot remember his name, but they've got to be worth a ring (01392 425125)

PS. I bought MB, and will [b][u]never[/u][/b] go back to the heavy stuff!!!! In the past I have had a TE350/410/115 but my favoutite was a Kustomsound 400 with 1x15 Fender cab. Plenty of beef, but a well shagged back, so now the light stuff is perfect!! I will shortly have a 102 cab to go with my Mini CMD 151p, and that, as I see it, will be perfect!!

Good luck!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='75868' date='Oct 18 2007, 01:18 AM']true-valve DON'T mean good sound, neither does solid state ;-)[/quote]

Damn right! Anyone heard the new Line 6 Spider 'Bogner' guitar amps that they've put valves in? It just goes to show, you can stick a valve in a turd... and it will still sound like a turd.

The price on the MB is rediculous, still...wouldn't mind having a blast on the MB just for jokes. I'm sure it would sound class.

Does make life that little much easier diagnosing potential faults, but is it worth paying through the nose for it?

Hopefully my lottery win will come through this week...

Well I reckon once you've ripped out all of that crap then it's (modestly) about £1k over-priced - that's enough to get a tech look over your amp for 'servicing/biasing/whatever' for about 15 years!

Sorry but well made valve amps are pretty friggin' bullet proof - my V4 had been out of action for well over a decade when I picked it up spares or repairs, once it got some TLC from a tech replacing caps and various other components as well as fitting new OT, new valves and biasing etc. (the bill was about £75 labour - I supplied parts) it was good as gold. It's been driven to absolute maximum output for several hours at a time and it's good as gold. Many others have similar stories of never touching their amp for 10 years or more.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='76464' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:29 PM']The price on the MB is rediculous, still...wouldn't mind having a blast on the MB just for jokes. I'm sure it would sound class.

Hopefully my lottery win will come through this week...[/quote]

Yes it would sound class(waahaay!!) and lucky for me I found a steal of a deal on the 'bay on a nearly new one with the tags still on. But think of it this way, with MB, unless you a> have really deep pockets and absolutely no cares or b> simply CANNOT get your head away from needing a massive rig to match your manhood, you really DON'T need a monster to gig with (and screw up your back!). My Mini CMD151p is ample for EVERY gig I have done so far, as there is SO much quality volume and fullness of tone.

Even buying "reasonable" gear, by the time you've bought your head and a couple of cabs, you'll be well up to the web price of a 151 or 102 combo.

If anyone needs more than 3-400 Watts, then they should be through the PA anyway!! I played bass with MUD, and for much of it we went out with a minimum of 6.5kw PA, and played VERY loud! I used a 150W TE combo DI'd for much of it, with no problem, and plenty of stage and FOH volume.

Edited by MoJoKe

I dunno whether the M.BASS tube amp WOULD in fact sound "CLASS" it only weighs 21kg or summink, & AFAIK a LOTTA the tone of a good ol' tube amp cames outta the transformer..... I'd MUCH rather spend the same amount of $$$$ on a AMPEG SVT-VR or an old SVT !!! Dunno re the LANEY... dunno at all! I DO know the LMII is a nice sounding amp for an ALL solid state amp, but I'd FAR rather play my V4BH ANYDAY!!!!!! &, as stated above , I'm another one who's had all valve amps & heve used 'em regularly & while I've had 'em checked over/serviced every so-often- they've NEVER needed ANYTHING doing to 'em in 10yrs+!!!!!!!! After 15yrs the power tubes needed replacing-but this was after 2-3 gigs per week +1 rehearsal/week for 15 yrs!!! If my LMII does this too, then I'll be MIGHTAY IMPRESSED!!!!!
& yes U R right - U can stick a valve in a turd & still get a turd- but at least it'd be a warm turd!! ;-)

Edited by rodl2005