Why become a member? ×

SX Basses, anybody own one ?

flatwound

Does anybody have any experience with these basses. ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SX-TRADITIONAL-SERIES-CUSTOM-HAND-MADE-PRECISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ370294234537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item5637419da9"]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SX-TRADITIONAL-SERI...=item5637419da9[/url]

I want to try a P Style bass, and the reviews sound good. And... what would be a reasonable price. ? (I know that question is subjective, but any information will be twice as much as I know. !! :)
Thanks for any/all input. :rolleyes:

I think the most basic of searches here, Talkbass, Harmony Central etc. will give SX basses a resounding two thumbs up so far as value for money goes. I have however heard a couple of horrendous stories concerning the flimsiness of the packing materials should you wish to buy direct and import from the US (buy a case at the same time).

Personally, I've only ever looked at these from the perspective of getting one on the cheap, putting a nicer neck on it and customising it a bit...I'm not a fan of the headstock (there have been several varieties) and the high-gloss finish neck doesn't work for me.

P

[quote name='flatwound' post='665626' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:31 PM']Does anybody have any experience with these basses. ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SX-TRADITIONAL-SERIES-CUSTOM-HAND-MADE-PRECISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ370294234537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item5637419da9"]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SX-TRADITIONAL-SERI...=item5637419da9[/url]

I want to try a P Style bass, and the reviews sound good. And... what would be a reasonable price. ? (I know that question is subjective, but any information will be twice as much as I know. !! :)
Thanks for any/all input. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have a black precision SX mate. It's a nice bass. Youcan't buy them in this country but I got mine off Rondo music, imported I think it cost about £150 quid including import/duty and all that lot. My band mates have commented on the good tone in band practice. I do find the neck hard work, they are notoriously large necks but that is probably me being a jazz bass player for so long, precisions normally have bigger necks.

I'm actually looking to upgrade to a Fender precision soon so if I'm selling it I'll let you know. You can't really go wrong with them for the money although I would personally say all the talkbass comments about them being Fender beaters are wide of the mark. My MIM fender jazz is still the superior bass in my opinion although it cost twice as much. Any more info you need let me know.

[quote name='flatwound' post='665626' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:31 PM']Does anybody have any experience with these basses. ?[/quote]

Ermm yeah I've got 4. Bit of a mixed bag - on the whole they are brilliant value, but suffer like most budget Chinese instruments from a lack of quality control and shoddy build.

I found the Precision necks to be huge, the Jazz '57 (!!) neck is perfect - I'm getting a custom build and am using the neck specs of that SX. Bit chunkier than a Fender Jazz neck but really comfortable to me.

Most people use them for the woods/finish and junk all the hardware. I've got a Jazz that has an Audere, Hipshots and a Gotoh 201 bridge. Some would argue that they are fine out of the box - I feel the bridge made a big difference for the cash.

I've not got a full size Precision at present - I've got the 3/4 which is monstrously thumpy. Have you seen them on Rondo music's site?

Hope this helps :)

I have a 75 style jazz - ash body, maple neck and fretboard. A little heavy at 10lbs 4 oz -ish.

Really nice bass. Hardware is OK, pick ups are brilliant if you like buckets of middy growl. Block inlay neck looks lovely.

As far as I can tell, you can't go wrong at the price.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

There are numerous threads on here about them but you don't have to go to the States, there's this guy in Belgium who had the whole range at one time but now only seems to have Jazzes

[url="http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/dn-store_Other_W0QQ_fsubZ1QQ_sidZ860476208?_nkw=SX+Bass&submit=Search"]http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/dn-store_Oth...p;submit=Search[/url]

I'm sure there was someone else importing them too, possibly the Belgian ones, adding an extra switch and then charging £200 ?

'Jim Deacon' is the brand they are brought into this country under, but the distributor told me they were not allowed to retail them on ebay in the UK

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='665640' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:50 PM']You can't buy them in this country[/quote]

I've actually seen these at HW Audio in Bolton, but couldn't tell you if they have any now. Also, there are a couple of eBay shops occasionally listing them in the UK, but it seems to be very hit and miss on models available. But for the most part they seem to come from Belgium on eBay.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='667754' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:43 PM']Yep, i did have been to denmark street and when i went into the bass cellar(is that whats its called the all bass shop) i thought it was really good, they were nice and let me play well the 3 bass's i asked to play.
In waltons your not allowed to play anything at all.[/quote]

Really? That's a shame, I usually get there once or twice a year and often spend anything up to an hour fiddling about. I'm yet to buy anything from them either! I will one day, I'm sure...just have to wait for the exchange rate to sort itself out!