Why become a member? ×

I want to break the laws of physics!

harmonicfish

Ok, time to set myself up as a target for ridicule :)

There are a lot of threads in this forum regarding lightweight cabs (indeed there's a whopping great sticky right at the top), but a lot of the time these cabs, although light, are just as bulky as their heavier brethren.

I've read the articles on the physics of cabinet design, so I'm aware I may be asking the impossible here, but in my crazy attempts to avoid using the car and cycle wherever possible, size is the big factor (this is where it gets really silly).

Now, there are some fairly promising cabs/combos out there which should be possible to sling on a pannier, but the question is will any of these really cut it in a band setting?

Possible candidates...
Genz Benz shuttle cabs (8T or 10T)
GK MBX112
Phil Jones Briefcase
Markbass Minimark

The GK looks especially tempting, 12 inch speaker, but with a very shallow cab and very lightweight (and cheaper than the others). Could possibly even sling one either side of the pannier. Technically I could probably push more power through these than the Laney RBW 300 or the Peavey TNT 115 that I currently use. But how would they really compare in terms of bottom end or volume?

Can anyone think of any other potential candidates I've missed? Ideally I'm looking for options that have at least one dimension less than a foot.

Or should I just give up and get a bike trailer to pull the 15s along behind me?

(Yes, I'm mad, I could use the car, but I find cycling is actually quicker, better exercise, cheaper (both in terms of petrol and parking), and hey, it's more environmentally friendly).

P.S. Has anyone ever tried isobaric speaker cabinets, such as the orange SP210? Supposedly this design gets more low end out of a small cabinet, although is closer to a single 10 in terms of volume.

Cheers
:rolleyes:

The Orange Isobarics don't really take advantage of some of the new feautures they could use I reckon. They are super heavy, having loads of speakers in a small box.

MAke your own isobaric with neo speakers. The smaller magnet will also help keep size down when you are packing them together.

Bike trailer and a lightweight is probably better though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='665486' date='Nov 25 2009, 07:25 PM']You're welcome to try but you won't succeed. So you'll just have to believe what has already been written on the subject of cabs for bass.[/quote]

Did I show you the gutshot of my latest doom rig?

There is a certain point where you don't need to move your rig any more. You just turn it up some more.

Another tip is not to break the laws of physic, just use different ones. Why limit yourself to pistonic speakers.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474354&page=2"]Quoted from here.[/url]

[quote]Obtain a large supply of propane gas arrange a sodium wick and suitable
jet and regulator so that the column of flame reaches a hight of not less than 43 feet and burns a bright yellow color. Insert an electrode in the bottom of the flame and another at the top connect a well smoothed 500V DC supply in circuit with the 16 ohm output transformer secondary of a tube amp of about 50 watts rms you wont need much power as you are going to be using the entire planet as a magnet.
remember that you should allow a fair bit of room because as you apply the polorizing superimposed dc to the electrodes the flame will bow into a parabola with the deflection toward the closest line of the earths magnetic flux. You have now built a planet assisted sodium ion drive loudspeaker.
It will be quite capable of X max measured in meters and will be the loudest thing on the planet short of an extreme earthquake at 20 hz.[/quote]

Might wanna rig a little 1x12 for highs.

[quote name='harmonicfish' post='665454' date='Nov 25 2009, 01:53 PM']Ok, time to set myself up as a target for ridicule :)

There are a lot of threads in this forum regarding lightweight cabs (indeed there's a whopping great sticky right at the top), but a lot of the time these cabs, although light, are just as bulky as their heavier brethren.[/quote]
You've got your Hoffman's Iron Law a bit askew. The rule is low, small, efficient. Pick any two. Weight doesn't enter into the equation. Using lightweight materials, the right construction methods, and long excursion neo drivers you can go low, loud, small and light. The downside is that it won't be as efficient as a larger box, especially one loaded with more than one driver, so you need more amp power.
Lightweight materials (12mm plywood) built using the right construction methods and long excursion neo drivers are an expensive combination, too expensive for any of the usual sources to offer them AFAIK. Aside from custom made and DIY Barefaced is likely the only source for cabs of that sort on your side of the pond.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='665710' date='Nov 25 2009, 10:50 PM']You've got your Hoffman's Iron Law a bit askew. The rule is low, small, efficient. Pick any two. Weight doesn't enter into the equation. Using lightweight materials, the right construction methods, and long excursion neo drivers you can go low, loud and light. The downside is that it won't be as efficient as a larger box, especially one loaded with more than one driver, so you need more amp power.
Lightweight materials (12mm plywood) built using the right construction methods and long excursion neo drivers are an expensive combination, too expensive for any of the usual sources to offer them AFAIK. Aside from custom made and DIY Barefaced is likely the only source for cabs of that sort on your side of the pond.[/quote]

You have omitted tone which is a pretty big miss, IMV, subjective, of course.
The good things on here about such cabs..or rather specific cabs, have been the boxes are loud and they are 'endorsed' by quite a few.

I would prefer, personally, that any review to be balanced, but it seems a lot of people don't like to rock the boat.

I use a barefaced midget and a genz benz shuttle 6.0. In one word...AMAZING. I can carry my whole rig or take public transport no bother but when I get there it sounds great and volume isn't an issue. I am not talking big gigs here: small venues for around the 60 people mark, but seriously I hardly have the volume past around 10oclock and I cut through the band mix no bother (and my band has 3 singers, two guitars, drums and mandolin)