Why become a member? ×

Bassday Slap Attack!

cureswhatailsye

[quote name='OldGit' post='662950' date='Nov 23 2009, 05:38 PM']Maybe we need the bass players version of this:

What would be on the list?[/quote]

Haha. Can of worms there methinks....

The annoying thing is when people try to impress with their chops especially when trying out gear. I'm always intrigued when I hear someone doing their own thing no matter how complex or not it may be..

I think whats p***ed people off is the amount of people competing over each other rather than being honest and trying out gear for what you ACTUALLY might do with it. be that slapping or not, it's easy to tell!

Too many insecure bass players??!!

I think we need to have a bit of understanding :) I mean usually when bass players play no one at all pays any attention then suddenly there's a room full of people who actually know it's not a banjo!
Wow! and, it appears, just about anyone can slap up a storm and quite a lot of people do actually go "oooh cool/bad/sick/skill!" when someone does ..
Not us, obviously. :rolleyes:

If people have points to make both good and bad, I'd suggest making them to either Gary or Stevie, and they can take it all on board and see what can be changed next year.

Bass day UK is a fantastic event, and is growing every year, so let's support it and help make it better with some constructive comments to the organisers.

[quote name='Rayman' post='663186' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:25 PM']If people have points to make both good and bad, I'd suggest making them to either Gary or Stevie, and they can take it all on board and see what can be changed next year.

Bass day UK is a fantastic event, and is growing every year, so let's support it and help make it better with some constructive comments to the organisers.[/quote]

This seems to be a wider discussion about why people seem compelled to slap like slappers in shops and on trade stands.
That's not a crticism of the BassDay organisers just a comment on human nature.

[quote name='OldGit' post='663203' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:35 PM']This seems to be a wider discussion about why people seem compelled to slap like slappers in shops and on trade stands.
That's not a crticism of the BassDay organisers just a comment on human nature.[/quote]

Yep of course, I'd just like people to pass feedback on to the organisers too, it can only help improve the event in the future.

[[i]Ignorant[/i]] Who exactly are Gary and Stevie? [/[i]Ignorant[/i]]

I have no ill-will whatsoever towards Bass Days. I have no ill-will towards slapping either, so long as it is practised in private by consenting adults who don't bother me with it.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='OldGit' post='663203' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:35 PM']This seems to be a wider discussion about why people seem compelled to slap like slappers in shops and on trade stands.
That's not a crticism of the BassDay organisers just a comment on human nature.[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to have opened a significant can of bassy worms here. It was my first bass day, and wanted to make a bit of an observation...I thought the whole thing was amazing, I guess its just the guitarist in us all slipping out when a public platform appears!

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the comments. Overall Bass Day was a great success again this year and the artists that played at Band on The Wall last night were amazing.

Noise levels, placements of traders and quiet rooms will be something we will defiantly be concentrating on next year.

We all put a lot of our own time and work into this event (have done for the last 4 years) and feel very personal about it. We also still feel we have kept to the original essence of the event which is this is not a trade event. The main aim (and still is) of Bass Day UK is to bring artists from all over the world together in one place for one day that the public would never generally see.

We do however have and need trade as without them we would be playing boxes with a broom handle stuck in the top. In addition there is also some great trade within the UK and internationally we fully support and want to be able to bring to the event.

At the end of the day it is balance that occasionally tips. The important thing is we listen and learn from it which I can assure everyone we have done each year and this year will be no exception. In fact myself and Stevie will be meeting up in the next week to discuss how things went, improvements and start planning Bass Day UK 2010. I think and hope we keep raising the bar each year and next year will be even better.

Again thanks to everyone who came and supported Bass Day UK. It was great to see both old and new faces. It was also great to see more families this year and younger children getting involved. You never know they maybe future Bass Day UK artists!!
Thanks

Gary

MB1. :)
I really felt sorry for Yolanda!...People were beating the living daylights out of basses while she was playing!.Whose idea was it to set her gear up in what was a Shop atmosphere/Slap Tournament. I couldnt hear her vocals at all...i actually told her to turn em up!.