Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 715 Combo

noelk27

Had time to try out the Trace Elliot 715 Combo this afternoon. Been some time since I played a Trace of any description, and was somewhat under-whelmed by this unit. It seemed to lack the clarity, punch and definition of the Trace units I'd played through previously, from the 80s and 90s. Is that the case across the current Trace range, or just this particular unit?

I bought a 715x combo (500w 15" solid state) as my first amp two years ago and have come across the same problem, after tweaking the best sound I can get out of my bass the amp sounds best (not good) set flat. I'm hoping a pre-amp/modelling pedal will sort it for me (helpfully I have such a flat sound to work with) until I can upgrade but if you haven't spent the money yet...

I take it that you're talking about one of the new model 715 combos? I used to own a '90s GP7 2x10 and it was bloody great. Played the 1x15 version as well and that sounded a slightly bit deeper/fuller/maybe muffled, but you definitely still got that classic Trace clarity and growl. It's sad to hear bad reviews about the new stuff.

[quote name='Dubs' post='660668' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:56 PM']I take it that you're talking about one of the new model 715 combos?[/quote]

Yes, fresh off the production line (at Guitar Guitar). Just thought I'd give a small Trace unit a work out, having had the use of a Trace rig at the rehearsal studios I frequented in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a highly impressive set up, although I've no idea what the rig comprised. It was a little pure/clean for my tastes back then, although it tracked well when pushed. But, when the time came, I headed of along the Peterson amplification route, before ending up with an SWR set up. Had good memories of Trace though, and had high expectations of the 715.

Yeh same happend to me, after having a old 715 combo which i damaged the speaker at band practice i decided to get one of the newer stacks which i seen at Music Live in Birmingham and for the amount i paid (£1400) i thought the sound really sucked compared to the 715 which i bought for £150. Yet i still see Doug Wimbish using there stuff.

Edited by AduneMoon

The combo I use at practice is one of the old school types and sounds wonderful.

The new stuff is great when used in quantity. I was side stage with Norman Watt-Roy in London Excel 2 years ago and his sound was typical Trace with that great mid scoop that gets your lungs. Lovely bloke and lovely old Jazz that could tell some stories.

Basically, the old TE stuff is better IMO.

Edited by neilb

I'm still pretty much a sucker for Trace Elliot stuff. Not really sold on the new combos compared to the old stuff though. They just look a bit plastic if nothing else. That said I am impressed by the cabs, which are pretty lightweight (for TE standards!) and very functional.

I had been thinking about the new stuff when Tinman put up his 1x15" V-type combo for sale. Your tastes change over the years but this is one of the best sounding amps I have ever owned.

I'm really looking forward to trying out my recent purchase of a 25 year old 1110 4x10" combo and 1518 cab on Boxing night.

I've also owned a 7210H combo & 1048H, 1513, 2103H cabs.

Apart from the 2 years with the Schroeder and the short spell with the Behringer BA410 with shattering cones, I have used trace cabs my whole gigging life.

I'd still like a Twin head and a 1248 cab or 2 when I've got the cash

[quote name='Delberthot' post='661542' date='Nov 22 2009, 03:56 AM']I had been thinking about the new stuff when Tinman put up his 1x15" V-type combo for sale. Your tastes change over the years but this is one of the best sounding amps I have ever owned.[/quote]

Very true, how the ear changes over the years.

The Trace V-Type series were exceptional amplification. It would probably be a good idea for me to keep my eye on the local music stores, and all the usual places, along the central belt of Scotland, for someone selling "vintage" Trace, to see if it has the soul I'm looking for.

Edited by noelk27

• 4 years later...

i have the new 715x combo and it sounds fantastic!!!
took time to get used to it, getting it sounding right which for me was to drop the 1k on the graphic to almost zero and with the preshape on with a little of the bottom end wiped down an absolute killer trace sound.
I still have an a GP7 SM combo which sounds great too but nothing compared to this later model. the old one also took a bit of getting used to - I think its all to do with the 'user' .
I guess it's all subjective.. what the hey!!

I still think the old TE gear from the 80s and early 90s were some of the best amps I ever played through - in fact I'd say "legendary" - unfortunately they don't come with a free roadie or chiropractor sessions...it's a shame that the newer stuff doesn't come up to scratch....

My only experience of the new Trace gear was from when Norman brought his in last time the Blockheads played our venue. Was very surprised at the weight when I took it off stage - at least that Tract problem is finally addressed.

Can't really comment on the sound. Norman would sound great on almost anything, but it's definitely his sound. Don't think I did anything more than a cursory line check during setup.