Why become a member? ×

Basses on the settee

neilb

Thanks Dazed. It's taken a while but I think I have most bases (pun intended) covered.

I got to know Mike Walsh when I worked near his workshop when it was is Witham. I fell in love with the green Boudicca and asked him to do a custom build which resulted in the red fretted 5. The body is 50% mahogany, 40% swamp ash with a flamed maple top cap/ The neck is maple and purple heart with a spalted maple 'board.

Shortly after the red one was finished I was looking for a fretless 5. Mike took the toffee coloured bass in and thought, "if I sand the frets down, Nick will buy it". Guess what - he was right.

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

Complete Bass 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I do love that natural P in the front, the definition of understated!

Si

I'm just playing it now actually, sounds epic! Yeah I like the way it looks like the unloved one but plays so well and got some nice wear too. Daddario XL  half rounds are spot on too

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Very nice! I have to ask, what are those things on the machineheads and what the he'll do all those knobs and switches do on the Vigier???

Thanks! I always put finger puppets in my basses, can’t remember why I started doing it but always do now! 

The controls on the Vigier - marleaux 3 band pre (vol, balance, bass, mid, treb), then there’s some controls for the Roland GK system (assignable control, up/down buttons). And there’s an active passive switch. 

The wingbass has the same GK system installed and only has less knobs because it’s passive :)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ped said:

Thanks! I always put finger puppets in my basses, can’t remember why I started doing it but always do now! 

The controls on the Vigier - marleaux 3 band pre (vol, balance, bass, mid, treb), then there’s some controls for the Roland GK system (assignable control, up/down buttons). And there’s an active passive switch. 

The wingbass has the same GK system installed and only has less knobs because it’s passive :)

Thanks for the info. I like the finger puppet approach as it makes them look less serious though I'm not sure the manufacturers would appreciate it as much given they have probably spent a while trying to get the bass to balance perfectly before you go and ruin it lol.

I'm going to have to Google Roland GK system...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Excuse the ones to the left, and the fact they are just in front of (as opposed to on) the sofa, but here are my solid 3 - JV Squire, bitsa, and the Jack.

3DF777FD-9904-434A-ADD2-144966630258.jpeg

Wow you got the Strat done in a matching sofa paintjob. 

• Haha 1