Why become a member? ×

Your first bassline

16Again

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='94779' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:16 PM']Most of my own best basslines fall into that category ;-)[/quote]

General Chat: I lived in Southwell, about 15-20 miles from you for about 20 years. I went to college in West Bridgeford, to get into UNI. I really miss Nottingham's live music scene. Here it's loadsa backing tracks!! :)

[quote name='slowbo' post='94784' date='Nov 26 2007, 09:21 PM']General Chat: I lived in Southwell, about 15-20 miles from you for about 20 years. I went to college in West Bridgeford, to get into UNI. I really miss Nottingham's live music scene. Here it's loadsa backing tracks!! :)[/quote]

Hey, I'd swop Bridgford for Andalucia anyday ;-)

I was choosing whether to pick up guitar or drums, someone said what about bass? I didn't know what it it was, they said it's the thing that goes 'boom' underneath the guitars. I asked what else it could do and they sent me the 'Higher Ground' cover by the Chilis.

:) I HAD to be able to make that sound

First bassline before I actually got that one was the Peter Gunn theme tune.

Haven't looked back since, guitarists don't know what they're missing.

Mark

a bassline didn't want me to become a bassist, it was a second choice after I had to give up drums for medical reasons. First complete top 40 bass line I ever learned was New Years Day by U2 coz we had a geek American guitarist at high school whose father lectured at the nearby uni and he wanted someone to play bass while he did The Edge impressions over the top.

he he...great thread!

mine was a song called "Cadillac" by a 60's band that I can't remember for toffee....I started playing bass in the late 70's just when punk exploded and learnt a lot of Sex pistols, the jam, the clash tunes.....my band "the ratz" had our first gig on my parents lawn a Sunday afternoon performing "dangerous" punk songs to our middle class neighbours....how funny! then I moved on to pumping eights in various heavy metal bands ( not sure if they count as bass lines really....:)....then I moved on to 60'/70's funk/soul and later jazz and all sorts of music

Well, it was mine, all mine...

Having been elected to play bass by the rest of the band and gone out and bought all the bits to make a Hayman 40/40 and put them together, it got to the point where we were actually starting to try to play things. Item number 1 was "Back in the USSR" by the Beatles, which I had only heard a couple of times and never paid any attention to the bassline [1] so I had to make something up and I finished up playing the square on the almost-pentatonic scale (root, 4, 5, b7, octave). I might even still have a recording of our fist gig somewhere. I've never learnt the proper bassline to it and I haven't played it in over 30 years, which suits me (and probably Sir Paul, if he ever got to hear of it) fine.

[1] I still pay no attention to basslines.

[quote name='16Again' post='71583' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:54 PM']What was the bassline you heard that made you decide to be a bassist?
I think mine was probably Pretty Green by The Jam, so easy but so effective!

Then i started saving for my first bass which was a KAY bought from Marshal Ward clubby book back in the year dot! :)[/quote]

I can't believe no-one's said Live At Leeds yet. I wanted to _be_ John Entwistle when I got that album at age 15. The other one was Dave and Ansell Collins' Double Barrel. That was the first time I'd heard reggae, with its gloriously prominent juicy bassline.

Picked up my first bass 11 months ago and not looked back. First bassline attempted Fleetwood Macs "the chain".

Currently working on Jamiroquai and Chilli's with a touch of Police thrown in everynow and then!

Edited by bassfan

I think it was back in 1972 or thereabouts, went to stay at a mates house for a few days and got introduced to Led Zepp two.

Soon as I got back home I started bugging mum and dad for a bass. It took a few months and then one day my dad came home from work with a guitar shaped box. It was so exciting opening that case for the first time. My first bass an Epiphone semi acoustic.

I recall being a tad disappointed that I didn't sound like John Paul Jones (all these years later, I still don't).

I think the first bass line that I learnt all the way through was The Beatles, Let it Be.

Gary

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='82042' date='Nov 1 2007, 03:54 AM']UK Subs-Warhead[/quote]

SNAP!!! :-)
And there was me thinking i'd be the only one who'd know that song!!
My version was played on a semi-acoustic guitar with the strings tuned down
though!(and was really awful!!)
When i got my 1st "proper" bass,it was also a Kay ,single cutaway on which i
learned a Siouxsie and the banshees track 1st then yes stuff.(an it was painful!)

Edited by walplayer