Why become a member? ×

Old School H/H amp

The_D

Great thread! I used an HH bass combo for a while in the mid eighties, don't know the model no but it was a 1x15 with a silver panel and as I remember a 3 way prescence dial. It was left in the rehearsal room we used and I never found out who it belonged to or what happened to it when the place shut down. Loved the sound though, gassing here for one now!

Found this link to HH amps.

[url="http://www.hhamplification.co.uk"]http://www.hhamplification.co.uk[/url]

Edited by Buzzgroove

• 1 year later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='655272' date='Nov 15 2009, 06:04 PM']Memories for some of you on this site: [url="http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/"]http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/[/url][/quote]
Thanks for the thread, brought back some good memories, I had the HH VS 100 with matching 2x15 cab, but i used to call into our local music shop to try out all the new range of HH amps & cabs, innocent times, then I sold my HH rig to by an engagement ring (still married to same girl 29yrs now).

Haha, two revived threads in the last few days -- good to see some HH love.

Laney has actually brought the brand back, more info in my post [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=130635&view=findpost&p=1272223"]here[/url]. :)

Edited by escholl

Used to have a H+H pa system back in the late 70's early eighties, loud, clear & bombproof!
Guitarist from Part Chimp uses H+H head (the green backlit face style) plus another old transistor amp (possibly a carlsboro bass head), titanic sound!
Check out their album "thriller".
IIRC Steve Hackett of Genesis used to use them too back in the day?
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='652317' date='Nov 12 2009, 10:39 AM']

My first gigging bass amp in 79-81 was one of these matched with an ex sound system 1x18 cab

Loved the sound at the time.[/quote]
Sold one a few months ago. Sat in my garage for about 20 years and when I plugged it in, still great. Guy from Springburn got it for about £40 as a back up!

[quote name='Norm' post='1273534' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:33 AM']IIRC Steve Hackett of Genesis used to use them too back in the day?[/quote]
As did Marc Bolan for a lot of his recording. Vamp amps were used for image, though he only used them briefly I was told, but he loved his HHs.

[quote name='Norm' post='1273534' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:33 AM']Used to have a H+H pa system back in the late 70's early eighties, loud, clear & bombproof![/quote]

I've still got a pair of Pro 100 PA speakers and they were used til quite recently. They are indeed loud, clear and bomb proof.... they also weigh about as much as a ford fiesta!

They actually sound pretty good for bass too, stacked on their sides. They can take a lot more than the 100w rating and are quite small.

Never tried one of their bass amps, but if one came up on fleabay cheap, I'd be tempted.

• 2 weeks later...

My first amps were HH - A Valve Sound guitar combo which I used for bass. It had two 12" speakers and seemed to give a very deep tone though in hindsight I suspect that was my own lack of experience. Later on I had a 100 watt bass head probably called a B100 - I found it lacking though it could have been the speaker.

I am not sure either of these amps were all that very good but I was distracted by the green light up display panel.

20 years on and I repair amps as a sideline hobby and I recently came across three amps for repair. IC100, VS Musician (100w guitar head) and Bassman 100. You can read about some of the common faults and praise I give for their construction on [url="http://www.amploft.co.uk"]www.amploft.co.uk[/url]. Sounds wise I personally don't think they have the depth of sound that we are used to today this is my observation from bench comparison against each other and against some others from Yamaha and Peavey that I was also working on.

The green panels are great

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='652667' date='Nov 12 2009, 03:16 PM']I can't remember what happened to mine either?

Perhaps they escape and roam free in a field somewhere like the one in the pic.[/quote]

Thats weird, i had a VS and a 1 x18 and i cant rtemember what happened to mine either....it sort of just wasnt there one day... :)

Yep, same here - HH VS head and a 2x15, cannot for the life of me remember what happened to them. I suspect a dodgy part-ex deal, possibly at Andy's in Denmark Street for an ancient Ampeg, but I've clearly blanked the traumatic experience from my memory... :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1275381' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:14 PM']I've still got a pair of Pro 100 PA speakers and they were used til quite recently. They are indeed loud, clear and bomb proof.... they also weigh about as much as a ford fiesta!

[b]They actually sound pretty good for bass too, stacked on their sides. They can take a lot more than the 100w rating and are quite small. [/b]

Never tried one of their bass amps, but if one came up on fleabay cheap, I'd be tempted.[/quote]

I used a pair of those on their sides with a HH ic100 for years and it sounded great, shame they belonged to the band so I had to leave em behind when I quit. Still got the amp though.

IMO the older ic100 sounded better than the VS. 100W must have been a conservative rating, but as they were 70s amps it would presumably have been true RMS.

[quote name='smashie' post='662094' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:30 PM']Hah, found the camera, sods law says that the second I take the picture the trim falls off the bottom of the grill.

[attachment=36868:IMG_0038_1.jpg]

[attachment=36869:IMG_0039_1.jpg][/quote]

Seeing as how someone else revived this thread and I only just noticed, an update wouldnt hurt :)

My head unit I am using is actually exactly the same as the amp section of that combo! I will take a pic at next practice but its identical :)

I run it into aither a 400W 4x10 Peavey or a 400W 2x10 home made cab. I actually found a faulty/blown Triac in the output section of the amp and replaced it and since my first post it sounds even better :lol:

I still only have to crank it 1/4 vol and can compete in small venues with a loud drummer and a normal vol (read loud) guitarist.

Went to buy tix for the Colne Blues Festival, Lancs today. The guitar shop there (Uncle Neil's [url="http://www.shopincolne.co.uk/uncle_neils_music_store.html"]http://www.shopincolne.co.uk/uncle_neils_music_store.html[/url] ) has an HH head, one broken front handle, for £50.

• 1 year later...

My first bass amp, IC100L. First real band pa amp, all circa 1974/5. How did we gig with 100W bass amps? especially since guitarists were using Marshall. Sound City, Hiwatt 100 Watters (cheap as chips then). Listen to Dr Feelgood Supidity to hear Wilko and HH amp(s) used to great effect.

Edited by 3below

i have a hh bass machine 250w amp (head and cab on wheels) for sale if anyone is interested. i can take a load of pics and send them to you if your interested in it. it all works fine i have tested but i used an electric guitar to test it as i dont play bass hence the sale it was just passed on to me. cosmeticaly its in ok condition obviously it has scratches and marks on it as its a stage amp and is 20-25 years old as far i know. if your interested i will send the pics to you and then you can make me an offer.