Why become a member? ×

Anything Wrong With Running 2 VXL Bass Attacks?

Phaedrus

Hi,

I have a VXL already and can get mild gritty tones to leave on all the time as well as much dirtier tones for solos/heavier stuff. I like the tones I can get.

The dirtiest tones I can get from the VXL are about as dirty as I want, so should I be looking at another VXL as an overdrive/distortion pedal rather than a dedicated single-purpose overdrive/distortion pedal, given that I know that I like the VXL as a dirty-overdrive effect?

VXLs seem to be cheaper than most single-purpose overdrive/distortion pedals, and I may not like a different pedal (I'll be buying mail order).

Thanks for any comments/opinions,

Mark

• 1 month later...

It's a good job I don't have a lot of money . . .

I've been using another bassist's rig for rehearsals (SVT400 (IIRC), 1x15 & 4x10), Morley guitar wah (completely saps all bottom end), Dod distortion (OK fuzz tone, but signal level disappears when engaged), a chorus (can't remember), MXR Blowtorch (meh), Aphex Bass Xciter (definitely makes a difference to tone, very good).

It's got me re-thinking what I might do. After I posted the first post in this thread, I sort of drifted towards getting an EHX Bass Blogger for big dirt, a Bass Xciter for tone, a Punch Factory compressor, an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, and a T-Rex Sweeper chorus, along with my VXL.

But when doing Chelsea Dagger last Tuesday, none of the pedals in the other bassist's set-up gave me the right sound (and what a great tone it is, eh?), so I whipped out my VXL & after less than a minute tinkering, we were all enthusing big-time over my tone - it was perfect: gritty, a little clanky, thick & full, and properly trouser flapping. The VXL can give [b][i]great[/i][/b] tones.

I also came to another thought: the Shape function of the VXL gives a better sounding boost in tone than the Bass Xciter, IMO. In fairness, I haven't tinkered with the Bass Xciter, so I guess it could well match the VXL, but again, when I hit the Shape switch, the band gushed.

So I'm now back to considering running:

Bass -> DT-10 -> Weeping Demon -> Sweeper -> VXL 1 (ight grit) -> VXL 2 (big dirt) -> amp & PA.

Aside from the two distortions two VXLs would give me, I'd also have 2 Shape pedals, rendering the Bass Xciter superfluous.

One concern is about the Level control: If I have VXL 1 set as my light-grit, with its level set to match my clean level, and VXL 2 set as my big-dirt, with its level attenuated so as not to cause the problems described in this thread ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=69239"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=69239[/url] ), will that still bugger up my levels anyway?

Mark

the only issue I could see with it is you might overload the input, but careful use of the level control would sort it. the heavier tone you use with just a single unit will not be the same on the second vxl as you will have changed the characteristics if the signal by running it through the first fx. unless you want to tap dance around between the two units switching one on and the other off you'll have to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the desired tone with both running.

I would try to use the one VXL for both gain stages. It might be as easy as using the volume know on your bass to clean up the signal, then turning it up to the max for the heavier tone. If you loose low end when your volume knob's down you could use a compressor or limiter at the end of the chain to try and sort that out.

I have an OD pedal I really the the sounds of on low and medium gain. I use an EQ pedal turned up before it to drive it into the medium gain sound.

[quote name='Alun' post='684181' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:00 PM']Sounds Ok to me ( in fact I'll try it if I get chance as I do have two VXLs - long story!), only concern I might have is adding noise as they can be a little hissy at times. I'm sure with some tinkering, it should be fine :)

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Now we're talking!

Can't say how much I'd apreciate your comments after you've tried it. Personally, I've only had hiss when the Brite control is up high with high Harmonics & Mix when the Harmonics is ON, but the distorted sound is already noisy then, so hiss don't bother me.

My main curiosity is how the following scenarios will affect the overall level, specifically can tweaking the level outputs maintain consistent overall level?

1. Both VXL Harmonics OFF
2. VXL 1 (mild grit) ON, VXL 2 (heavy dirt) OFF
3. VXL 1 (mild grit) OFF, VXL 2 (heavy dirt) ON
4. Both VXL Harmonics ON

I wonder how different running 2 VXLs would be to running one VXL and a different OD/fuzz pedal? Both will have their own level control, so am I unnecessarily concerned?

Look forward to your findings, Alun . . .

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='684229' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:38 PM']Now we're talking!

Can't say how much I'd apreciate your comments after you've tried it. Personally, I've only had hiss when the Brite control is up high with high Harmonics & Mix when the Harmonics is ON, but the distorted sound is already noisy then, so hiss don't bother me.

My main curiosity is how the following scenarios will affect the overall level, specifically can tweaking the level outputs maintain consistent overall level?

1. Both VXL Harmonics OFF
2. VXL 1 (mild grit) ON, VXL 2 (heavy dirt) OFF
3. VXL 1 (mild grit) OFF, VXL 2 (heavy dirt) ON
4. Both VXL Harmonics ON

I wonder how different running 2 VXLs would be to running one VXL and a different OD/fuzz pedal? Both will have their own level control, so am I unnecessarily concerned?

Look forward to your findings, Alun . . .

Mark[/quote]

OK, I'll see what I can do - might not be till Thursday though. What bass are you using?

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='wizbat' post='684245' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:53 PM']I think it,s quite normal to use two or more distortion/overdrive pedals if you want varying sounds that involve that effect,
I use a sansamp GT2 and a EHX big muff, the GT2 for a gritty overdrive and the muff for a fat fuzzy sound.[/quote]
[i]I think it,s quite normal to use two or more distortion/overdrive pedals if you want varying sounds that involve that effect,
I use a sansamp GT2 and a EHX big muff, the GT2 for a gritty overdrive and the muff for a fat fuzzy sound.[/i]

I'll be using two OD/distortion/fuzz pedals for sure - that much I know. My "need-to-know" at this time is how feasible it'll be with two VXL Bass Attacks (as opposed to two different pedals), given their inherent lack of control over the output level when the Harmonics is heavily boosted.

Alun, I mostly use my Yamaha BB605 9v active 5-string (D'Addario ProSteels), but also occasionally my Squier VMJ passive fretless 4-string (D'Addario roundwounds).

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

Been teasing out the thoery of this in my head.

I don't think it'll work too well.

Using a separate, different OD pedal, engaging it would bring into play its level control (as well as its drive/tone/whatever control), allowing adjustment to balance the signal level between engaged and bypassed.

Using a 2nd VXL, there is (as discussed) no level control associated with the Harmonics function, [i]preventing[/i] any adjustment to balance the signal level between engaged and bypassed.

After reaching these thoeretical deductions, it seems obvious that two VXLs would simply double the problem of having little control over the signal-level between the Harmonics ON & OFF states.

Back to the Bass Blogger, I think . . . At least the pedalboard could be a little smaller . . . :)

Mark

[quote name='cheddatom' post='690614' date='Dec 21 2009, 01:35 PM']chaining two OD pedals together won't necessarily mean an increase in volume, as one pedal drives the next to distort more. [b][i]More distorted doesn't mean more loud[/i][/b]. It might not be the sound you're after though.[/quote]

But that's the crux of the problem with the VXL Bass Attack, isn't it? When you dial in lots of distortion, it [i]is[/i] louder, and you have no way of controlling the level balance between Harmonics ON & Harmonics OFF.

Or am I missing something?

Mark

If pedal number 2 in the chain is set as your main sound, and pedal number 1 is set to add more distortion, there shouldn't be much of a level change as pedal one will just overdrive pedal 2. There could be a big jump if that particular pedal's a bit weird but with all my distortion pedals it works fine. It's worth a try anyway.

Are you using your amp´s effects loop?
why not run the first distortion/fuzz pedal with the rest of your pedals in the effects loop and use the second, thicker sounding distortion through your normal input on the front?
The difference being that the activation of the first shouldn´t really impact on the gain or volume too much, whereas the second (front input) one might increase the gain and overdrive of the amp.
Just a thought as have tried similar with my Rust Ride and Bass Big Muff
Cheers,
Colin