Why become a member? ×

RUSH Sheffield

KevB

Well since someone started a thread for the last two shows I thought I'd better stick one in for Sheffield. Interesting set list (though still plenty of the same songs done on the Feedback tour there was enough 'new' old stuff to keep me interested). I think they could have dropped a couple from the new album at the start of the 2nd set or replaced them with alternatives from S&A. Doing 5 in a row from a good but not exceptional album was pushing it a bit I thought.
The main thing that niggled was the bass sound. Pedals way too high in the mix and drowning out the bass guitar mostly. I don't know if it's his new 'flamenco' style of playing, the mix he's telling the crew to give him or what but in a big shed like Hallam Arena you pretty much heard only his low notes, 90% of the mid and high end was lost so you saw him play all these nice mid fretboard runs on the TV screen but heard naff all of them. Alex's guitar mix and sound were far better. It was similar at NEC 3 years ago. If they accept they are only going to play these types of arenas then they have to address this or it's a waste of talent.

I went and agree with most of the above comments. It's a pity they couldn't have slipped in a few more classics for the fans as the audience reaction to Natural Science, Subdivisions etc was amazing!

Personally I missed Roll the Bones, Driven, and The Pass but that's just me.

I'd echo the comments of a poster from one of the other gigs - the only bass that sounded any good was the Jaco copy. You could actually hear it for a start!

Was it a fretless because if it was he didn't really play it fretless style!

Jon

From block 105 and considering the place is a shed I thought Geddy sounded pretty good , nice to see the Rick come out but the fretless was the best sounding of the lot - and , yes , somebody should have pulled the fader for the bass pedals.

Don't know about Alex looking grumpy , maybe slightly peeved but so would you be if you were morphing into Peter Schmeicel !!!

What did we think of 'Lil' Rush' doing Tom Sawyer , I thought it was well funny!!

Also anyone notice that they seem to have dropped the tuning on Circumstances ? (changes basses for it), presumably Geddy's voice can't quite get that any more (used to do the same with 2112). Here it is in all its original shrill glory:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q59A8OhM8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q59A8OhM8[/url]

Yes the red jazz seems to be his standard drop tuned bass.

Just been watching the Show of hands DVD and the sound he got from his Wal bass is amazing. Now I know where Les Claypool gets his tone from! Geddy - bring back the Wal!!

[quote name='Jono' post='70751' date='Oct 7 2007, 07:45 PM']Just been watching the Show of hands DVD[/quote]

I'm on that one!! God knows how many times I've frozen the frame trying to see myself!

I prefered that set to the current one. Power windows and obviously hold your fire were more prominent at the time. Rush have never wished to appear stagnating though and it's good they push their curent material as much as they do - however much some of us would prefer our fave older stuff

Nice collection of Wals by the way. How did you get to meet them? Was it a meet and greet competition they ran on their website or was it that you'd travelled such a long way from Scottsdale? (I was in Gilbert in January - love it over there). The Manchester show was stunning and by all accounts the best UK show. I've got about the first 20 minutes filmed which I'll stick on Youtube any day now.