Why become a member? ×

whats are you GASsing for at the moment

nash

I've decided my Smith 6 isn't used enough to justify keeping it. Its usually used for recording chordal bits but now I have a guitar there's not much need for me to use it by itself. The two 5's get used mostly on stage and the c string on the 6 just tends to get in the way of the guitar in the mix.

However, because I'm embarking on some MIDI programming, I think there will still be a need for a way of inputting chordal data using something other than a keyboard (which I can use but I'm not particularly nimble on being a leftie).

I had an email exchange with Rob Green about my ambitions for a headless MIDI Status Stealth 6 and it looked like there were so many unknowns for him in what I wanted that I was potentially opening myself up to a lot of risk cost wise if the build process wasn't straight forward. That is, I was going to end up paying through the nose for anything that wasn't straight forward to install.

So I had a chat to Jon Shuker about a headless 6, given the gorgeous shape of johngh's, but with a maple/wenge neck and the Graphtec Ghost MIDI piezo pickups/"Hexpander" convertor. The bass is going to be used in my lounge and rehearsal studios mostly rather than on stage and a headstock has tended to get in the way with low ceilings. Plus I just like the look and feel of headless basses and I've wanted one for a looooooooong time. Jon already has the piezo saddles I want in stock too so he's used to working with them, hopefully that will mean the cost risk is lower.

I will need to sell my Smith 6 to cover the cost, however but hopefully the Shuker will sound better.

I think I'd like a Lakland DJ4 in black with a maple neck.

I'd also like a Trace Elliot 2102 cab.

The perennial problem is what to sell to fund the gas. '80 Stingray? 05 Stealth 2? Pink Jazz? Sound City L200?

Edited by obbm

[quote name='dlloyd' post='25098' date='Jun 29 2007, 08:04 PM']Decent recording equipment.[/quote]
+1

since my dad bought me my HB music man iv decided the bass i used to dislike(alot) is now on my gas list... A music man SUB in black!....or an EB but a sub is more realistic!!!

now GASsing for:

a fair sized portable combo (about 60 watts should do it...)

&

a Squier 5 string Jazz Bass

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300575500"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0300575500[/url]

yeah, it's a Squier, but I've got to cut down my budget for this year... order from SWMBO (my daughter... she says I've got enough... don't know what she's moaning for, I'm picking up her new guitar on Friday...)

I'll probably trade my Peavey in for it...

After playing PTP's gorgeous Lakky Skyline DJ5 I'd really rather like, errm, a Lakky Skyline DJ5 ;-)
Pref. with the active bits like Pete's. It's got that Marcus tone absolutely nailed. Yum.

Currently GASsing for:

- A J-Retro for my Jazz Bass
- Ibanez Gary Willis Fretless GWB-35 (which I am buying from a basschatter at the end of the month)
- Rackmount Bass POD with FBV floor controller
- Suitable Power amp so i can use the Bass POD as my rig
- 2 Tech ND410's to run the POD and Poweramp thru

Im seriously considering selling my hartke rig and then using the BassPOD and floorboard to control my sounds - ive been using nothing but the Bass POD xt I bought from Phatmonkey last month for practise and its awesome!

[quote name='Viper' post='27397' date='Jul 5 2007, 12:49 PM']I almost bought a Jaguar bass yesterday - it played and sounded nice but will be trying out a couple of others before I make a decision... though I have a feeling it'll be the Jag I'll end up getting.

Mark[/quote]

buy it you won't regret it, i absolutely love mine to bits

[quote name='Rich' post='27374' date='Jul 5 2007, 11:59 AM']After playing PTP's gorgeous Lakky Skyline DJ5 I'd really rather like, errm, a Lakky Skyline DJ5 ;-)
Pref. with the active bits like Pete's. It's got that Marcus tone absolutely nailed. Yum.[/quote]

Hook, line and sinker eh Rich?

It is an utter babe of a bass. I've never been much of a one for slap playing but since I bought that bass I find I'm tempted to give it a good thumping every time I pick it up. I also find myself just picking up my bass at home a heck of a lot more now.

The passive one is rapidly growing on me lately though as I'm recording some guide tracks for the band's next demo and I'm using that rather than the one you played which is actioned up for live playing where a little buzz here and there doesn't hurt. The passive controls are astonishingly versatile.

As this is a GAS thread, I should say that I'm GASsing for either an F-Bass or a custom DJ5-a-like with pretty birdseye board, PJ pups and a cool vintage colour.

If I find an F-Bass in the right price range, the passive DJ5 might come onto the market yet Rich.