Why become a member? ×

whats are you GASsing for at the moment

nash

3 Hiwatt heads and 4 Hiwatt 4x12 cabs

A fretted Precision bass

A Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

Cases for my Ampeg

A new pickup, bridge and tuners for my fretless Precision

EDIT - that's my total GAS list, didn't realise we were in the Bass Guitars forum! Oh well, I got it off my chest :)

Edited by acidbass

[quote name='Bassassin' post='5807' date='May 24 2007, 03:06 PM']One of these:

[url="http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p100205/bach-rb-1r/"]http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p100205/bach-rb-1r/[/url]

And for £145, I can think of no compelling reason not to... Just need to have an Ebay blitz of some of the dust-gathering trash I have hanging around first.[/quote]

That looks great. That would almost cure my GAS for a Laredo and I could actually afford one. If only they did it in black!

[quote name='bassboy115' post='6093' date='May 24 2007, 10:22 PM']i really like the corvette iv been wantin one for ages...i do like the look of the thumb never played one though...
when i get round to the point of which im actually gonna buy (not any time soon) ill look at the thumb but i really do like the corvette!

How much is the Thumb?

and not a clue bout the Wilma and Betty m8 :S

cheers[/quote]

It is true what martthebass said. I was in exactly the same situation. As soon as you got the corvette, you will want the thumb. But they are really different beasts. I actually TBH prefer the corvette, mainly because it was so much more flexible. I wish they made Corvette NTs before the 1998 changes in neck profile. But not many basses I've played have beaten my Thumb in terms of sustain, clarity of harmonics and just fantastic playability (though the neck hangs far from your body).

But do try them out, as they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

Warwicks seem to go fairly reasonable second hand. I believe I've seen Thumb BO go for around £500. I've even seen a NT go for £600 once, that was unbelivable!

My G.A.S. has been plugged for the time being now I've got all the sounds I want. However, one of Skelfs headless basses but with a wider and less offset body would do me very nicely. The tone of the instrument was... ...perfect. Crisp, warm, full and growly.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='6231' date='May 25 2007, 02:03 AM']That would almost cure my GAS for a Laredo and I could actually afford one. If only they did it in black![/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250117425508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015[/url]

one of these? im not helping much am i :huh:
[list=1]
[*]curently gassing for..Guild starfire with original Hangstrom or darkstar pickups
[*] Another fender jaguar in vintage white with tort scratchplate ( japan model)
[*] A good valve amp ie trace v-type
[*] Deep impact
[*] Mutron
[*] this :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250117425508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015[/url]
[/list]

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='6234' date='May 25 2007, 02:18 AM']It is true what martthebass said. I was in exactly the same situation. As soon as you got the corvette, you will want the thumb. But they are really different beasts. I actually TBH prefer the corvette, mainly because it was so much more flexible. I wish they made Corvette NTs before the 1998 changes in neck profile. But not many basses I've played have beaten my Thumb in terms of sustain, clarity of harmonics and just fantastic playability (though the neck hangs far from your body).

But do try them out, as they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

Warwicks seem to go fairly reasonable second hand. I believe I've seen Thumb BO go for around £500. I've even seen a NT go for £600 once, that was unbelivable![/quote]

thanks...everybody is saying about baseball bat necks on em...is it the newer warwicks with the horrible neck or the older ones??

[quote name='joegarcia' post='5624' date='May 24 2007, 11:30 AM']Sunn 300t/70's SVT
Stingray (all maple with black plate)
Gibson RD Artist (maple, black plate)
Rickenbacker 4004L Laredo (black)[/quote]
Hey Joe Garcia - that your Ovation Magnum 3? Be interested in your impressions of it - I love my Magnum 1. Re the RD Artist; nearly bought one a couple of times but they're so dam [u]heavy[/u]
Anyway; my permanent GAS; an early '80's Wal Mk 1 custom fretless
my current GAS; a Trace Elliot AH500-12 head

[quote name='steve-norris' post='6262' date='May 25 2007, 07:54 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250117425508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015[/url]

one of these? im not helping much am i :huh:[/quote]

Yea I saw that, thyat was what triggered the GAS actually. :)

Shaggy - Yea that's My Magnum, I love it to bits. The electronics are a bit noisy but it sounds massive.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='6265' date='May 25 2007, 08:04 AM']thanks...everybody is saying about baseball bat necks on em...is it the newer warwicks with the horrible neck or the older ones??[/quote]

It's not that they are horrible, just some people can't get on with large necks. To me they feel just right.

I was really wanting a corvette, then played the streamer and just had to have it :) I think the attraction of the corvette was something to do with the price as well as the looks.

Erm.....I've not got it too bad at the moment.

I recently got my Jaguar that I'd beeN after (white), and so 'we' (that would be the missus and I) decided that 'we' wouldn't be looking for any new basses for a while as 'we' needed to save 'our' money.

So I'm keeping an eye out for an Ibanez Blazer or Roadster and a Russian Muff at the moment!

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='6367' date='May 25 2007, 11:17 AM']It's not that they are horrible, just some people can't get on with large necks. To me they feel just right.

I was really wanting a corvette, then played the streamer and just had to have it :) I think the attraction of the corvette was something to do with the price as well as the looks.[/quote]

lol...i tried a corvette a few years ago at music live and really liked it...i tried the rockbass(streamer) as an option just before i bought my jazz and it was really badly set up and it put me right off em...

Figures my first post on this forum would be about GAS :)

I thought I was gassed out, having recently acquired my MarkBass amp,

But an old as new Ibanez ATK flew onto my lap as I was looking the other way... and then some bastard sniped it away from under my nose...
so thats what I'm gassin for...

Not really GAS as in buying another bass just for the sake of buying another bass. What I probably [i]need[/i] most is another bass mostly used for slapping/tapping, and I've been on the verge of buying a Status last time anyway. Most likely a S-2 Classic Through-Neck Headless 6-String. Though also the Yamaha TRP 6 P II I had liked very much.

Nice to have would be a Rickenbacker 4003FL (fretless), as well as a 4004-series 5-string.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='6265' date='May 25 2007, 09:04 AM']everybody is saying about baseball bat necks on em...is it the newer warwicks with the horrible neck or the older ones??[/quote]

Warwick within 1½ decades just went from one extreme to the other. In the mid 80s they came up with problematically thin necks, since 1999 IIRC they make chunky necks, and also switched from wengé to ovangkol.

I for one found the really broad neck of a Streamer Stage I 6-string very comfortable to play, but took issues with the sound. It's too large a chunk of too soft woods like flame maple, and that doesn't contribute to a really defined sound (I know I'm a spoiled brat taking Rics and Smiths as reference). A smaller bass of harder woods such as a Thumb NT 6-String was ok, though. At first I also was impressed by the decent mids the ovangkol neck produced. On a second thought, however, I found that older Thumbs w/ wengé/bubinga neck had more of a character, even more "wood" in the midrange (but that also may be due to better quality woods used back then). Well, that's how come I don't play a Warwick these days...

Actually, Warwick and Marleaux, which also was mentioned herein, were amongst the manufacturers about which I thought for some 500 bucks more they might have come up with a better bass I would have bought. But so...

[quote name='OldGit' post='5668' date='May 24 2007, 12:46 PM']Oh good choice, sir. That JJB thing is awesome in the old fashioned English way.[/quote]

Why, thank you very much. Gotta love that JJB, but I'm not a signature bass fan, even though JJB is one of my inspirations. I did contact John about building me a P similar to it but circumstances changed and things got put on hold. Still, it's my 40th next year, maybe if I hint hard enough to all my friends and rellies thay may club together

[quote name='martthebass' post='6626' date='May 25 2007, 04:27 PM']Fred and Barney?
Hannah and Barbera?

God I'm getting old....[/quote]

when you said wilma and betty i thought about the flintstones but now after saying fred and barney im gonna go the flintstones

I know I've got too many basses already...... but I'd love a black early 70's Precision with a maple neck.

I had a '74 years ago and sold it. With the money from the sale I got a brand new Peavey Dyna-Bass and what money
was left I used as beer money....... seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back, it doesn't seem so good now.

Nevermind.......

Mart

A mate runs the local music shop and is trying to get me to relieve my GAS on one of the basses in his shop that he knows I'm in love with.

Allen Woody Signature Epiphone RumbleKat

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=501"][/url]

Details here [url="http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=501"]http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Produc...CollectionID=12[/url]

Its brand new and retails at about Aus$1200 he has it 'on sale' for Aus$550

OMG!! I have it so bad!

I know I shouldn't but man its such a cool bass soundwise and to play and its really very cheap. ....isn't it?

:)

7th June ... GOT IT!! :huh:

Edited by Freuds_Cat

Hi, my name is Bret and I am a GASaholic. My 'other' current GAS desire is this Electro Voice Bass speaker.

This speaker would fit very nicely into my Bi-amp rig thankyou very much.

[b]Electro Voice EVX155[/b]

[b]Specifications[/b]

Sensitivity 1W/1m 98 dB
Max. SPL / 1m (calc); full space 125.8 dB
System Power Handling (continuous/program/peak) 600/1200/2400 Watts
Nominal Impedance (Passive) 8 Ohms
Chassis Size 15 inches
Speaker Type Components
Weight Net 10.3 kg ( 22.71 lbs )

Edited by Freuds_Cat