Why become a member? ×

Awesome Bass Players of the 70s chapter 74 - Tomsk from the Wombles

Cat Burrito

The web seems to credit Madam Cholet with the bass playing credit but we all know it was Tomsk that rocked the low end!

Here he is in action with an awesome tele bass. Note that wicked right hand action around the neck pickup - what a player!

And again with a different bass playing back towards the bridge this time with a pick. The strength of his playing is clearly in his diversity. Respect

[quote name='bobpalt' post='643833' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:43 PM']I was always lead to believe that members of Steeleye Span played the Wombles on TOTP?[/quote]
It was whoever was around at the time. A couple of my friends worked at CBS at the time, and had the costumes thrust at them...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='643839' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:47 PM']It was whoever was around at the time. A couple of my friends worked at CBS at the time, and had the costumes thrust at them...[/quote]

I used to know a guy called Rob Summers who worked at the recording studios and his claim to fame was that he was that Womble on TOTP because he was the only one big enough to fit the costume.

Oh man, I remember the Wombles came to visit all us kids in Brighton in the summer of '76 (IIRC, and it was HOT!).

They were to 'appear' at Withdean Stadium (now the home fo The Albion, at least for a little while longer).

As you can imagine the place was rammed with kids sat on the grass banks which then went all the way around the ash athletics track.

The great moment came, the Wombles stepped forth into the sunshine got halfway across the center of the field when, with a great midless roar every child rose as one to their feet, disengaged themselves from whichever parent's hand they had been grabbed by and ran as a mindless barbaric horde at theWombles gathered in front of them - possibly to grab fur, maybe to get some Womble burger, I honestly dont remember any thought involved (I was about 6 at the time).

Said Wombles retreated at a full run back to the changing rooms, batting kids out of the way as they went.

Looking back on it I imagine that the poor thesps in those suits needed new underwear and oxygen by the time they got to safety!

Part of me feels I should apologise for my tiny part in their fear filled 5 minutes. The rest of me quakes with laughter inside at the memory of 6 grown ups being forced to attempt a 60 yard dash in big heavy furry costumes at midday in blinding summer heat by a swarm of something like 5 or 6 thousands raging kids.

Tee hee!

Oh, and Tomsk, he was definitely [b]not[/b] the fittest one there, judging by his 60 mtere sprint performance :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='643793' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:09 PM']The web seems to credit Madam Cholet with the bass playing credit but we all know it was Tomsk that rocked the low end!

Here he is in action with an awesome tele bass. Note that wicked right hand action around the neck pickup - what a player!

And again with a different bass playing back towards the bridge this time with a pick. The strength of his playing is clearly in his diversity. Respect

[/quote]

He's on Facebook, he seems to have changed over the years.

[url="http://en-gb.facebook.com/tomsk.the.stealable.womble"]http://en-gb.facebook.com/tomsk.the.stealable.womble[/url]

Edited by leschirons